Hammett news/pix

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really terrible sounds this guy gets out of the KH2 :?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7n0r2Qs51kU

I mean I know aliasing and compressing artifacts on YouTube make it sound much worse but only his mother could love *that* tone.

That isn't representative of what that amp can do by any means. kind of disappointing since that's what a lot of people will base their opinions on. the KH-2 sample sounded like it had some phasing or other effect on it. believe me guys--it sounded WAY better in person.

i totally agree...the KH2 does sound MUCH better,IRL,than in that "youtube" video.that recording sounds kinda bland and flat,imo!!!

A lot of what sounds so bad about that video is the off-axis miking of the speaker. Take a look at the SM57 on the grill of the speaker cab. It is at a pretty sharp angle and that is the cause of the phase issues you can hear. Nothing wrong with off-axis miking, it has it's time and place, but there are weird phasing issues going on between the cab mike and the mike they are using for his voice for sure.

Doug gave me the OK to take the KH modules home this weekend so I'll whip out some clips and you guys can here what these really sound like:twisted:

so everyone knows...the clips made by Guitar World unfortunately do NOT give an accurate respresentation of the modules. these modules are pretty killer as the tone stack is very very sensitive. i recommend strating all the controls at noon and tweak from there. a little movement goes a long way on these guys.

also considering that the hammet cab has 2 different set of speaker's and they only mic'd up one will give only 1 side of the story ..plus the phasing !!!!!! .. i call that video water under the bridge in my book ... ( pretty wasteful on that mag's part ...you'd think they know better)

riff man said:
also considering that the hammet cab has 2 different set of speaker's and they only mic'd up one will give only 1 side of the story ..plus the phasing !!!!!! .. i call that video water under the bridge in my book ... ( pretty wasteful on that mag's part ...you'd think they know better)

I wasn't aware of the two speakers....hmm

Oh it's terrible. I tried to leave comment on the guy who uploaded it to YouTube...but didn't work. I see someone else beat me to it anyway ;)

It amounts to disinformation really...KH should be a big seller for Randall - the breakthrough for MTS...their 'review' might set this back :-/

JKD said:
riff man said:

I wasn't aware of the two speakers....hmm

There are two cabs. The RS412KHX has V30's and GT75's in an X pattern and a RS412KH100 that will have Celestion G12M-100's which are 100 watt speakers.

The man himself talks about all of the specs here: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3266

you guys really think it was that bad. i've heard that dude review other amps that were way worse than that and cost twice as much. i'm not on his side or whatever but at least that older guy wasn't doing the review , cause that guy really sucks at anything with any gain. the kh-1 seemed to sound like kirks clean tone . sounded kinda like the beginning of sandman and the kh-2 sounded like the older metallica stuff. and it seemed the kh-3 was alot like the newer stuff. i don't know i have really nice computer monitors and maybe they doctored it up a little. i'm sure it could be tweaked better though and i am definetly gonna grab the kh-3 to start. i heard that guy review a krankenstein one time and it was far worse than the randall

maximus1 said:
you guys really think it was that bad. i've heard that dude review other amps that were way worse than that and cost twice as much. i'm not on his side or whatever but at least that older guy wasn't doing the review , cause that guy really sucks at anything with any gain. the kh-1 seemed to sound like kirks clean tone . sounded kinda like the beginning of sandman and the kh-2 sounded like the older metallica stuff. and it seemed the kh-3 was alot like the newer stuff. i don't know i have really nice computer monitors and maybe they doctored it up a little. i'm sure it could be tweaked better though and i am definetly gonna grab the kh-3 to start. i heard that guy review a krankenstein one time and it was far worse than the randall

hey guys im new here and im realy enjoying this forum.well now to my point its true that guy from guitar world always seems to makes amps sound like ***, i own a krank and it sounds way better in person than that video review they did of it a while back.

i also have a question when is the kirk sig mts coming out?im realy considering buying one.

Yea when are we going to be able to buy these beasts? I'm interested in the KH1! Maybe a little odd around here but I would love an even better Blackface!

There are a good number of dealers that have them on order and are taking pre-orders already. I know that a lot of these dealers have received orders and are just waiting for the modules to ship from us.

You should contact your local Randall dealer and DEMAND that they order these modules!!! :twisted: