Just Ordered a RM 100M2 (yay!)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcomet

Reaction score
:D

Hi everyone.

Another new guy here. I had a few questions that you guys might hold the answers to...

#1. The older model RM 100s were equiped with 6L6 tubes. The one I just ordered has EL-34 power tubes. Why the switch?

I've always been a 6L6 fan (more like devotee) and have only played though 2 amps onstage that had EL-34s. (a Marshall JCM 900 & a Mesa/Boogie Mk III Simul-Class) The Boogie had both (2 of each).

#2. If I read correctly, the RM series can accept both 6L6 & EL-34 tubes and is easy as pie to bias adjust (automaticly adjusts?) Is this correct?

#3. I also ordered a Randall RS125CX 2X12" 1X15" Speaker Cabinet with it. I'd like some opinions on this cab from those who've owned 4 X 12 cabs. Is there a huge difference?

Internet ordering is my only option {no local dealers} so I'm trusting this rig will surpass my expectations. Harmony Central reviews and other guitar forums is what I based my opinion on...that and specs/features.
My Fender 'Evil' Twin has been my main gigging amp for 10 years, but it's just too single sounded for the more updated music my cover band is playing. {Fender doesn't do Metallica very well} :lol:

#4. I see this amp has several modern features that I'm NOT use to having. Is there a feature(s) that most people overlook or blissfully ignore that I should be aware of or take advantage of? (Tips? Hints? Tricks? Voodoo magic?)

I also ordered an extra module (the SL+) expecting I might like it better than the XTC module it comes with (just in case). I balked at the pricier new Lynch modules (even though I love George's sound).

#5. What is/are your favorite module(s)?

#6. What do you use for reverb?

guitarcomet said:

Hi everyone.

Another new guy here. I had a few questions that you guys might hold the answers to...

#1. The older model RM 100s were equiped with 6L6 tubes. The one I just ordered has EL-34 power tubes. Why the switch?

I've always been a 6L6 fan (more like devotee) and have only played though 2 amps onstage that had EL-34s. (a Marshall JCM 900 & a Mesa/Boogie Mk III Simul-Class) The Boogie had both (2 of each).

#2. If I read correctly, the RM series can accept both 6L6 & EL-34 tubes and is easy as pie to bias adjust (automaticly adjusts?) Is this correct?

#3. I also ordered a Randall RS125CX 2X12" 1X15" Speaker Cabinet with it. I'd like some opinions on this cab from those who've owned 4 X 12 cabs. Is there a huge difference?

Internet ordering is my only option {no local dealers} so I'm trusting this rig will surpass my expectations. Harmony Central reviews and other guitar forums is what I based my opinion on...that and specs/features.
My Fender 'Evil' Twin has been my main gigging amp for 10 years, but it's just too single sounded for the more updated music my cover band is playing. {Fender doesn't do Metallica very well} :lol:

#4. I see this amp has several modern features that I'm NOT use to having. Is there a feature(s) that most people overlook or blissfully ignore that I should be aware of or take advantage of? (Tips? Hints? Tricks? Voodoo magic?)

I also ordered an extra module (the SL+) expecting I might like it better than the XTC module it comes with (just in case). I balked at the pricier new Lynch modules (even though I love George's sound).

1: Not sure o.o

2: Yes, the bias adjust is right there on the back of the amp :)

3:Dunno

4: I don't use the effects loop yet or the midi. But maaan, I wouldn't ignore the Lynch modules, they're some of the highest prized amongst MTS users, and I want a few of them myself (Super V, Brahma, and Grail).

5: I only have 3, and can tell you the SL+ is great, but I think I would personally prefer the XTC (the SL+ has less gain, and an overall drier sound), but I'm about to get a bass cap mod done on my SL+ so I'll decide once I A/B them. I'm currently using the Ultra XL most of the time though for a nice melodeath-type rhythm tone, and I love the Blackface, it's probably the best clean tone I've EVER heard.

6: Nothing yet, but this amp really doesn't need it :) I wanna get a Visual Sound H20 though, for messin around with :p

1)not sure about this one.
2)easy to bias. you just need a multimeter which is only like $20. also you can mix and match the pairs of tubes (for example 2 EL34 and 2 6L6)
3)never heard one. my 4x12 mesa with v30 sounds great with the randall stuff.
4)a lot of people use a boost up front with the gain down and level up (sd1, ts9, bbe green, etc)
also, the lynch modules are great. you can usually pick up used modules on here for good prices.
5) mr. scary distorted and blackface clean
6)i use digitech hardwire. its ok. many people use rack type multiefx. if its in the loop it has to handle line level or you have to use an ebtech line level shifter

hope you like your new randall amp. it is one of the most versatile amps around.

pick your favorite module(s) and send them out for modification (or have at it yourself)- the improvement is jaw dropping. 3 Modded modules is better than 10 stock modules

no reverb needed for me, maybe something downm the road, but now I have some new rooms in my new place to play in, I may manipulate the sound that way instead

Welcome aboard!

guitarcomet said:

Hi everyone.

1:Rm100 M2 is not a "newer" necessarily (although yours is, you just bought it) its just a different combination of modules if memory serves.

Yes, you can run your 6l6s. Or El34s. In fact, i have two of each, and I bias them myself. Takes about 10 minutes.
2:Eh...answered in one.
3:Haven't used the cab, i use a 212 that i built.
4:The most modern feature is the modules man! REVOLUTIONARY! Other than that, the ability to get a unique combination of tubes and bias them to your liking is probably the coolest thing. And i enjoy my FX loop.
5: UltraXL is my current fav, but i've only had 5.
6: EHX holy grail reverb.

Go to radioshack, buy fuses. They will blow, you will be angry.

I will be angry?

I'm hoping to use the amp "as is" right out of the box and I SHOULD be able to dial in a decent tone, good enough to satisfy myself and to cut through the mix onstage. (I bought an extra SL+ module just for variety out of the gate)
I hope not to be buying tubes to swap or tinker with the sound at all for the next several YEARS and the only changing I'll probably do is buy different modules and maybe do as you all say and get one or two preamps modded by that guy "Tuney?" (forgot his name).
Power tubes usually last me 2-3+ years, preamps 7-10 years depending on the amp. (Marshall's eat 12AX7s quick!)
If I find the EL-34 to be too brittle, I will research the tube biasing threads before attemping any tinkering. I need to replace the watch batteries in my Radio Shack tester anyway, so I might as well pick up some fuses while I'm there.
Are they regular sized fuses?
I hear some say get heavier duty (300-400) but I'm the kind that would have to blow a bunch of 250s to get the message (see it for myself).

As far as modules, I'm looking seriously at the Tweed. Seems more likely to be my favorite clean tone. I own a Fender Blues Deville 2X12" and it's the most beautiful tone I've ever heard! I've heard it described as a "girl tone" meaning it has a female quality to it. With a Strat single coil or a Lace Sensor, it melts in your mouth.
But it has no gain at all. Takes pedals well, though.

Im not saying they will blow when you get the thing. Im sure it will sound great and you can absolutely use it "as is" I'm just sayin, the fuses blow and when it happens your amp bricks entirely until you can get fuses. Took me 6 different radioshacks to get the fuses i needed (250's) and i stocked up on those as well as 315s which have been workin better for me.

Just sayin, when you blow a fuse and you have to go searching for some your likely to get peeved.

They are 20mm 250 ( up to 400) ma fuses. Dont remember the voltage... yeah so grab a few while you're there. Most radioshacks only had the voltage that is required anyways, so find the 20mm 250ma fast acting fuses and you should be good for a while. And get a multimeter if you dont have one so you can bias your tubes. Anything that is decent enough to read mV will be fine. I had this issue where one tube was off and it caused me to run through fuses like crazy (at least once per hour of playing) but once i biased it i havent blown a fuse yet. There are other fuses you might wanna grab as well. There are two underneath the midi board inside that chasis, that if blown will stop the amp from producing any sound at all. 20mm 1.6a fuses. Maybe grab a couple of those as well.

none of this stuff happens often, but you can be spared the frustration some of us had to endure. Hope you love the amp as much as the rest of us

OK, I gotcha.

It was just sounding like the amp was gonna need servicing right outta the box :lol:

You gotta realize, you're talking to a guy that's been playing through a Fender 'Evil' Twin for the last 12 years.
I should be blown away by the sound I get from this amp. (even though I didn't order the cab with the Celestions)

Yeah, my multi-tester is dead. Needs a couple of watch batteries to bring it to life again. Still works though. I'll get those at Radio Shack, too.

Thanks for the info, I'll sure use it!