how do you guys get your custom faceplates?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have access to a laser engraver. I make em out of plexiglass. An 11x14 sheet is $3. I can get about 7 covers out of 1 sheet. Any color or design u can think of.

HughJasol said:
dwvinky said:
I make em out of plexiglass.
How thick is the plexiglass?

just shy of 1/8 inch. The characters are engraved in reverse on the back side of the plexi and filled in with paint. This provides a smooth front. When lit with a superbright l.e.d, the whole faceplate lights up.

Silly question, but do they make decal or sticker paper that you could make a custom faceplate design on & then apply it to the faceplate?

I am fairly sure there have been others who have tried the sticker thing, and come away underwhelmed - especially when the sticker coloring starts fading and/or the adhesive comes off. Maybe some of the pros have worked some magic ways to seal the sticker in under glaze or something, but I'm not sure.

Anybody able to make an exact repro of the BLACK Randall OEM Brahma faceplate? I don't think I'm the only one that would like to swap my white for black, but Randall does not have replacements.

I use matte laser sticker paper, and use clear packing tape over top, then cut it out...

My last one turned out not too bad...

IMG_2408.jpg

johnodge said:
I use matte laser sticker paper, and use clear packing tape over top, then cut it out...

My last one turned out not too bad...

IMG_2408.jpg

Nice plate...Looks great...And if you ever sell that Anew, please let me know...I'm feeling wrinkly... :)

I've been using clear sticker paper, paint underneath, and a glass-like glaze overtop...Don't have pics at the moment but will add them...

Caine said:
Anybody able to make an exact repro of the BLACK Randall OEM Brahma faceplate? I don't think I'm the only one that would like to swap my white for black, but Randall does not have replacements.
I've found a company able and willing to do it.
But then the price is 60 euro's per plate.. so that kinda sucks.

A printed sticker + something to protect it (laquer or tape) seems the best way..

There are some guys that have had engraved aluminium, but that doesn't really work for all designs/looks.

dwvinky said:
I have access to a laser engraver. I make em out of plexiglass. An 11x14 sheet is $3. I can get about 7 covers out of 1 sheet. Any color or design u can think of.
Can you make a picture of it? I'm curious to see what that looks like..

m0jo said:
Caine said:

A printed sticker + something to protect it (laquer or tape) seems the best way..

There are some guys that have had engraved aluminium, but that doesn't really work for all designs/looks.

I guess I wouldn't really want to bother and unless it looked really close to OEM and was going to last that way. the sticker thing sounds kind of cheesey to me. It seems like someone could do a run of them, like 50 or so and eventually could sell them all on eBay or whatever and retail for like 20-30 bucks. I think there is some amount of demand. Maybe it might be hard to sell 100 or more of them, but there are a lot of white faced Brahmas out there that sort of stand out like a sort thumb loaded next to any of the other OEM black faces.

Caine said:
m0jo said:
Caine said:

I guess I wouldn't really want to bother and unless it looked really close to OEM and was going to last that way. the sticker thing sounds kind of cheesey to me. It seems like someone could do a run of them, like 50 or so and eventually could sell them all on eBay or whatever and retail for like 20-30 bucks. I think there is some amount of demand. Maybe it might be hard to sell 100 or more of them, but there are a lot of white faced Brahmas out there that sort of stand out like a sort thumb loaded next to any of the other OEM black faces.
That is actually made of metal, and using the same techniques as Randall.
So yeah it's going to be as durable.

The problem is: yes there is demand, but not for 1 plate. Everybody wants their own custom plates.
And that means retooling or whatever for each one, so you don't have the advantage of a run of 50 .. you'd have 50 runs of 1..
Maybe the Brahma yes, but that's kind of the only one.

m0jo said:
The problem is: yes there is demand, but not for 1 plate. Everybody wants their own custom plates.
And that means retooling or whatever for each one, so you don't have the advantage of a run of 50 .. you'd have 50 runs of 1..
Maybe the Brahma yes, but that's kind of the only one.

Yah, I was just referring to the Brahma module. I've tried swapping my white face for black with someone via the classifieds and nobody wants to do it. People that have black want to keep them. I see someone else just posted the same thing in the classifieds. When I've inquired with Randall about this, i got a somewhat irritated repsonse because apparently other people and dealers have been trying to get black faces for the Brahma and they don't have any--but people keep asking for them anyway. I've even thought about trying to buy a whole run of them and then sell them myself, depending on how many a "run" would be and what the price would actually be. The graphics on the Randall plates look something like painted on via a "tampo" method or something like screen printing to me.

I can do powdercoating and did a faceplate in white last night as a matter of fact. Looks similar to the original faceplate on the Brahma module.
A Brother P-Touch labeler is good for black on clear text (or white on clear text) - since you can print any TrueType Font when connected to a computer.
Of course this method isn't really good if you want all of the fancy colored faceplates...but personally..I don't.

Hmm... I can powdercoat any color and I also happen to know how to do silkscreen printing....hmm....new business venture?
Black Faceplate for a Brahma....
Hmm...

jimosity said:
....hmm....new business venture?
Black Faceplate for a Brahma....
Hmm...

hey if they look oem, I think you should be able to sell few of them them anyway. I'd buy one, as long as the price was reasonable.