How does the MOD50 sound at low volumes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broknstuff

Reaction score
I know tube amps sound much better at high volumes, but was wondering as to how the MOD 50 held up for lower volumes / solo practice situations also. I'm considering trading my dual recto for it somewhere down the line if I can ever get to test one out (I know, fat chance), or maybe even adding it to the dual recto. I do play out with my band and practice, but would still like to know if these things sound anything decent at low volumes.

Thanks

I personally think it sounds great at low volumes,I would play it in my garage at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning and still this thing spits out sweet tone,I'm talking low volume,BUT it does sound bigger and fuller when the master hits that 2:00 level WOW!!!!!!!

It sounds amazing at all volumes. Ive had a Dual Recto. This thing kills it in every way possible.

I bought mine unheard on reviews and Egnater reputation. Best amp move I ever made... and Im coming from an SLO which is no slouch!

You wont look back...

-Matt

Yep. I had a low volume practice in a garage last night. Took the MOD 50 head and ran it into a 1X12 cab, put the power switch on LOW POWER, master volume at 10:00 o'clock, bumped up the density to about 9:00 o'clock. It sounded fantastic! Oh and that's with 6V6 power tubes in it too.

I might just go for the chance once I get back to the states (I'm abroad for a few months). I think I really like the basic sound of my dual recto, just wish it was a bit tighter...I don't have my recto sounding anything like the recto sample on the egnater sight, but it does give a good hard rock tone. I also need to do a retube of it. Maybe if the financial situation works out I'll see about ordering a mod 50 and testing them side by side and then putting the other one on e-bay. speaking from a practical point of view, I'd be much easier to part with the dual recto since they are pretty easily available.

I wasn't aware the mod50 had a half power mode? Care to talk about it a little bit? and how is changing tubes/biasing it? Can someone with no experience with that do it? The mesa fixed bias is pretty convenient for that.

I'm guessing the MHG or maybe even the E3/E4 would be module I'd go for, unless the e-rect can sound a little more like a recto with less gain. To give you guys an idea I usually run it either in modern mode with gain at 10:30 or 11 o clock, maybe if I'm in vintage mode It'll go a hair below 12, but i usually stick around that zone.

Thanks,

Diego

quick edit: also, especially from those that came fro the dual recto or other 100 watt amps, how does the tightness compare to handing lower tuned stuff. I like standard tunning but the band I'm in tunes to drop C # (drop it a half step then drop the E string a full step from that). I've never had a 50 watt amp head, only experience is with my 100 watt recto. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the financial situation works out and maybe I can be lucky enough to keep both for a week....

Hey Diego,

You don't have to do anything really to run it at half power. The power switch on the front has three modes. Center is Off or Standby. Flick the switch to the right and it's a full 50 watter, flick it to the left and the amp is on low wattage mode. I think Egnater and Frank say it's actually something like 5 watts. Is that correct guys? Any way it really doesn't sound like it drops the volume that much, but it is lower.

I've got a shcecter c-1 loaded with an X2N and with the MHG and tuned C# this thing peels the F@#$%^% paint off the walls,has got to be one of the most punishing sounds that i've heard come out of the mod WOW :shock:

As far as the low power switch,on low voliume it sounds basically the same only until you utilize all of the approximately 10 watts(whatever tubes are in I believe)that you can notice a change in sound and feel thats kinda what the manual states But there is a difference at high volume.

Sounds like I'll have a hard choice that'll await me once I get back to the states, but for now I'll keep on listening to any clips being posted. We'll see how much I have left over after a new guitar, but man this thing does sound sweet! **** GAS though..... :lol: