How many different Tone stacks do we really have in MTS ??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
I was going thru various modules today and there was alot of duplication...it made me wonder...just exactly how many actual tone stacks do we have?? I am talking TYPES.
My Orange clone has a Bandaxall tone stack. for example.

So whats the total????? And what is what.. I am tired of over lap!!

GtrGeorge

This could be REALLY cool! It would also be nice to see a chart like the one Jaded Faith put together... to include every offerering, by every modder... 8) That might be a tall order though... and it might be difficult to keep it unbiased?

SALVAGED said:
This could be REALLY cool! It would also be nice to see a chart like the one Jaded Faith put together... to include every offerering, by every modder... 8) That might be a tall order though... and it might be difficult to keep it unbiased?
I agree - this would be cool to see. But I'm guessing there might be some proprietary info involved, that the modders might not want to divulge.

Essentially you have two, the Bauxendal in the OR120 clones, and many different variations on the common TMB (Treble-Mid-Bass) style which is also commonly known as the Vox-Fender-Marshall tonestack.

Variations of the TMB tonestack include location (pre and/or post gain), layout of controls, number of controls (Treble-fixed Mid-Bass or Treble-Mid-Bass), sweep mids, switchable High/Low Pass values etc.

In stock MTS they're all TMB as far as I know, but the modders can offer the different flavors via Custom Mods, and variations on Matchless (location), Orange OR120 (Bauxendal) and Hiwatt (layout) modules.

That's at least a partial answer, though I'm likely missing something?

GtrGeorge! said:
I was going thru various modules today and there was alot of duplication...it made me wonder...just exactly how many actual tone stacks do we have?? I am talking TYPES.
My Orange clone has a Bandaxall tone stack. for example.

So whats the total????? And what is what.. I am tired of over lap!!

GtrGeorge

Here's a good breakdown of the different tone stacks: http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks

BTW, 10 amplifiers, side by side, could all have the same tone stack and not have any 'overlap'. Why? Component values.

The 'type' of tone stack does not guarantee, nor have to yield redundancy from one amp to the other. :wink:

Very cool link,Sacred Groove.
Yes I totally understand that component values will greatly affect the sound. But we have to start somewhere...

A chart like the one Jaded Faith would be usefull to some people. But, admitedly, things can be every subjective.
Although I feel dynamic headroom is dynamic headroom and gain is gain. And frequencies are frequencies....the tone stacks manipulate them in various ways but 6ooHz is 600 hz.

I am thinking aloud in this thread, as is OBVIOUS, but suspect there must be some way to get this data in one form.....I think we may actually need that these days. There are quite a few modders (and some have come and gone)..by now a chart would be so helpful for ALL of us.
GtrGeorge