How many are we?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I am curious whether anyone knows how many of us there are out here in MTS Land. I am trying to get an idea on what the market is like for the modules and mods. Are we growing or shrinking? Definitely there is a sophistication here that I don't see in other forums.
I am glad that Bruce is going to keep the idea going post randall. I am curious to see whether he will keep selling the stock (Deluxe, recto, etc.) modules or if he will go to more custom modules or both and wil the market grow or shrink! I am relatively new to this (less than a year...) and totally taken by it. I wonder how many more like me are out there and just have not seen the elegance of this idea.

I am sure it is shrinking at the moment....but once Egnater releases some mass produced modules, it will go back up.

In the meantime, there is a real cool community here that has access to super modded modules 8)

Judging from glimpses of what I've seen some of the modders say, business appears to be booming. Maybe that's because of the availability of cheaply-priced MTS gear right now, or maybe because the line has many followers that just aren't present here on the forums, or something else (or all!). If Randall didn't renew the license, perhaps that tells you something. I'm also curious to see where the line goes now that Bruce has the rights to it again. I'm hoping he can come up with a solution that can put mts systems in the hands of those with limited budgets as well as those who can afford to spring for all modded modules. Time will tell

I know Rob had record numbers in Jan/Feb- I would say from Tony/Salvations wait time- He is BUSY and backlogged out about two months. I dont know if we're shrinking- Probably growing due to cheap MTS amps available and the modders are plenty busy. Egnater keeping it going in modest fashion would only help. I am only worried about stock Randall modules running out... That supply is going to dwindle this year for sure.

rblyn said:
I am only worried about stock Randall modules running out... That supply is going to dwindle this year for sure.

Yeah, i bet the donor hoarding will start soon, although lately I'm finding more cheap donors than I can afford to have modded. The modders seem crazy busy at the moment, I hope Bruce will wow us with something cool soon.

If the Egnater re-release does include the long awaited E2 then the concept will be opened up to a whole new demographic. The E2 having two dual modules with a midi switching system built in that will allow it to be used with any existing amp with a decent serial loop. The idea being that the E2 switching will allow seamless toggling between the amps preamp section and any channel of the E2. The corksniffer with a $4000 two channel amp with a sweet power section will be able to add 4 more midi switchable channels for under a grand.

Right now to do this you could get:
Used RM4 $400 or Used M4 $800
A couple of decent modules: $400 - $800
A used midi switcher $200 - $400
That?s on the cheap min $1000 to $2000 for a messy setup and that?s just two modules plus you need a midi footswitch.

The E2 would make this much more accessible to the person who does not want to go full MTS.

rblyn said:
I know Rob had record numbers in Jan/Feb- I would say from Tony/Salvations wait time- He is BUSY and backlogged out about two months. I dont know if we're shrinking- Probably growing due to cheap MTS amps available and the modders are plenty busy. Egnater keeping it going in modest fashion would only help. I am only worried about stock Randall modules running out... That supply is going to dwindle this year for sure.
Seriously, There has to be a limited nuimber of modules out there. I wonder when the market is going to tighten up and the value of stockers inflates. I got a little stash of stockers, but I am thinking about stockpiling more. LOL. Like a squirrel packing away nuts for the Winter...
E2....It's what I've been waiting for years to see come to fruition. Two good modded modules and you have a 1RU rig. E2, E2, E2....can you hear me, Bruce...Please?...With sugar on top?

It's marketing. If they did it right, and somehow turned it en vogue, the modular concept would take off. A lot of the amps priced in a similar bracket suck, and nothing can beat this system. It's a matter of buyer education and stylish packaging. Every time I plug in a new module, I get a nice smile and felt like I just bought a new rig. Anyone who sees my rig becomes interested, and inrtigued by the concept.

I think there is some leaving the line but others picking up were they left off. I love used gear myself. The main reason I went and jumped into this
line with both feet. It is the only amp line Ive used since I got the first
one. I couldnt afford to buy a new one or new modules.
I recall that last year I knew there would come a time that stockers would
become scarce. Most thought I was crazy at the time. :lol:

BigBrewtus said:
I love used gear myself. The main reason I went and jumped into this
line with both feet. It is the only amp line Ive used since I got the first
one. I couldnt afford to buy a new one or new modules. :lol:

Agree 100%

HOW MANY ARE WE?

I see most of you are fretting about stock MTS modules drying up. I'm more concerned about the diminishing interest in my rig from members of the audience.

Ten years ago, whenever I played a gig, there were always a few guys sniffing around wondering what guitars, amps, and effects I was using. It was a very enjoyable part of the gig for me to walk younger guitar players through my rig and explain how and why I used certain kinds of equipment.

My rig is much more visually appealing now, especially with my RM4 - RT2/50 setup, I play to larger audiences, but there aren't that many kids coming up to check the hardware out.

So here's my question (concern). Do you think there are fewer and fewer young folks interested in playing electric guitar?

If any of you suggest the lack of interest in my rig is because I now have one or two grey hairs, you will be found and publicly flogged.

Graham Pearson said:
So here's my question (concern). Do you think there are fewer and fewer young folks interested in playing electric guitar?

They're more concerned with image. A tele or a Dusenberg into an AC30 or some custom deal, with a board full of hand wired pedals is the only thing considered hip nowadays...and you MUST wear only clothes from Urban Outfitters, but I digress...

Don't get me started on the hipster fad. The only bright side is that it will be gone in under ten years...

Graham Pearson said:

Absolutely, positively NO.

There are 223 freakin' Guitar Centers, 45 Sam Ash stores and hundreds of others throughout America. There are literally a countless number of online music stores that do tens of millions of dollars a month, if not hundreds of millions.

The sheer volume and stores indicate that more people than ever play guitar.

Mike P said:
Graham Pearson said:

Absolutely, positively NO.

There are 223 freakin' Guitar Centers, 45 Sam Ash stores and hundreds of others throughout America. There are literally a countless number of online music stores that do tens of millions of dollars a month, if not hundreds of millions.

The sheer volume and stores indicate that more people than ever play guitar.

Aw **** ... looks like I'm overdue for a trip to Carnaby Street.

Graham Pearson said:
Aw **** ... looks like I'm overdue for a trip to Carnaby Street.

In a 1975 Rolling Stone interview conducted by Cameron Crowe with Richie Blackmore, Blackmore stated he was embarrassed to tell people he met at parties and other social functions that he was a guitar player in a band. The reason? Because EVERYONE owned a guitar and was a "guitar player".

Fast forward 37 years...

I also think a lot of the younger generation are going for the cheaper and more versatile modeling amps like Line6, Peavey Viper, Fender Mustang, and Vox Valvetronics series. They get a wide array of tones and some onboard effects for under $200. They think it sounds great because all they have ever heard is youtube clips of real amps through their crappy laptop speakers so they don't know what good tone is. MTS is relatively cheap right now on the used market, but I say relatively because of what you get for what you spend. It is not exactly a "cheap" habit to get into. :lol:

As a relative newcomer to the MTS world, I would love to see the idea and technology continue on. As long as everything is cross compatible with the current gear and the word gets out to the masses there is no telling how far it could spread.