How much difference does a 4x12 cab make? verusus a 2x12?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the saga goes on...
still no Celestion vintage 30s in sight. They are around, but are now made in China and cost $120 each (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Anybody here ever notice any difference between the Chinese made and the British?????

Im getting impatient, and I am considering
buying a cab with GT12-75 in it, thats probably whats in that old Marshall cab at the rehearsal place,anyway. (its an old Marshall 4x12 1960 lead cab)
I saw an old ada cab for sale cheap..it has GT12-75 in it.
Anybody remember the sound of those old furry ada 2x12 cabs?????
Opinions welcome..

I bought one of these cabs. Lopo Line 2x12

Our 2x12 Signature Series Cabinets are an extraordinary American made quality product. Made from 100% premium 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood, dado joints, glue and nails. This cab is built to last! It is covered in black bronco tolex with a silver fixed grill accented by white piping and nickel hardware. This removable back cabinet is ready for you to install the speakers of your choice

sidebksil.JPG

I'm totally stoked with it. 2 celestion T12-100's that I put in, but the cab itself was like $270 with shipping. After the speakers and whatnot, was about $500 and the quality on this thing is top notch IMO. It's got the threaded inserts around the speaker hole. Even comes with rubber feet and removable casters.

I email them and I get a response within 12 hours. I order and they ship out that week. Can specify tolex, corner colors, piping color, grille color. I had a Mesa 2x12 cab and it sounded kind of sterile. This thing with the RM-2/50 and the RM4 sounds unreal to me.

and it had 2 GT12-75 celestions in it. I compared it to a 4x12 1960cab with 4 celestion V30s in it.
The ADA was kinda like an ice-pick. It was very loud, very piercing. It seemed to reproduce accurattely whatever you put into it..but with a kind of harshness. Distortion even had a cleanness to it. Not very msuical,I thought.
The Celes. V30 sounded kinda trebly but far more musical. More warm, though not night and day. The transients were more reasonable,too.
Its a shame I wanted a cheap good answer to my cab woes.
I cant afford the 4x12...so the search goes on.
i think I might buy 2 Hellatone60s..beacuse they ARE celestions supposedly and I can get em cheaper (ebay).
But are they REALLY Celestions or is that a hoax. How can anyone really know??????????????

I've got a 2x12 LOPO with G12T75s and to me it is the nicest sounding cab I have had yet. Its a convertible cab and I have it closed right now and it has that punch like Brad Paisley and hot country type punch.
I also had a G-Flex and man that thing had even more lowend and punch... but I've liked the LOPO better. Its more focused and like JKD, that lowend from the G-flex was just a bit too much at times, but that might have been the speakers too as I had Eminence Man O Wars in the G-Flex and now I have the Celestions.
I have only had one 4x12 and that was a Peavey 5150 cab under a 5150II. I feel the 4x12 was just bigger. Both seem to have plenty of punch and low end but the 4x12 was just huge! Cleans were more 3-D, distortions were like stadium type stuff, it was just monstrous. I would really like to get a 4x12 under this RM100 I bet it would be unreal!