how to use the NS-2 best ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headown

Reaction score
I have a wah-pedal, the NS-2, a chorus and a tuner in font of my amp.
My BBE sonic stomp is in the loop.
I?m not sure what is the best way to use the Boss NS-2 noise gate.
How would you set the pedals ?

bj4rd said:
i go guitar...tuner..ns2..then everything else.

+1

Sascha, I tried the NS-2 in the loop and it killed the tone. IMO, it's most effective up front.

I use a lot of pedals, so I have the NS-2 first, then all of the pedals in the loop, and then going to the amp.

Actually using the loop for the amp killed the tone for me as well, but like this it's perfect. :)

My setup:
Boss NS-2 (input -> send)
Electro Harmonix Riddle Q-balls
Electro Harmonix Doctor-Q
Electro Harmonix Big Muff USA
Sovtek Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Korg Tuner (not ideal place but saves me an extra meter of cable, and works fine as long as the BM's are off ;))
m0jo Electronix M.O.D. Muff of Death (muff fuzz + SHO boost)
Boss SD-1 (m0jo//Keeley modded)
Boss NS-2 (loop return -> output -> amp input)

And then a Boss DD-20 and CEB-3 (analog, modded) in the loop :)

I set my NS-2 with the threshold at 2 o clock, decay at 8 (almost counter-clockwise) and in Reduction mode (somehow I keep muting it otherwise :p)

Sascha, check out my other post at http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=8727&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= and let me know what you think.

i go guitar to the ns-2 then i use the ns-2's send to go to my tuner and the ns2's out to the amp or whatever other pedals you want infront of the amp.

edit-my way, you cant tune silently on stage, but i usually tune up before i play and rarely have to worry about retuning mid gig.

When I had a 5150, the NS-2 in my loop brought my volume way down or didn't remove any hiss. Before I traded it for a Hush, I used it after all my effects pedals and did a pretty good job of stopping guitar feedback and pedal noise.

Before you get an ISP, try this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/ns2%20x%20connect/VH100R/ns2_x_connection.gif. I have not tried it personally but some say it works.

Thank you bros !!!

I allready sold my NS-2 and got an ISP G-string pedal.
It?s a great thing and does everything well. No more noise from highgain modules and no guitar noise. But still doesn?t "kill" the guitar tone.
This thing is one step up from the ISP Decimator that I used to have and 4 steps from the Ns-2 :wink:

Cheers,
Sascha

disk11 said:
Before you get an ISP, try this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/ns2%20x%20connect/VH100R/ns2_x_connection.gif. I have not tried it personally but some say it works.

That's pretty interesting, man. it means your rig runs in the NS2's loop and not the other way round. Also gates your front end. Very interesting - I'll try it out this weekend.

I'm a HUGE fan of Killswitch Engage's tone, and they use the NS2. If they have that awesome tone and we don't (using similar gear), it must boil down to not using it correctly.

Sacsha - Cool! Did you get that in EU? They are pretty rare/expensive to buy in the UK.

So how are you running it? In the loop or up front?

Hey Harsha !
I got it from a guy who had it new and never used it for a good price.

Both ! In front and in the loop.
That?s what never worked with my NS-2.
My amp is so silent now, when you hold the strings, that?s scary :lol:
Great piece of gear. Expensive, but you should get one, if you can have it for a good price.

headown said:
Hey Harsha !

My amp is so silent now, when you hold the strings, that?s scary

I've got the NS2 gating the front and the G-Major gating post loop. My rig is really silent as well. No tone suckage at all, and precise on the stops. But the problem is with sustain, especially when i'm doing harmonics. If I'm doing a whammy squeal dive or a Dimebag squeal (which I do in most songs), it just dies premature :evil: . I'll try this X Method and see if its any better.

yeah i'm curious about this X method. i always thought the input ran parallel with the send and output so that if you put the preamp in the loop you would get a mix of dry and dist signal, but i havnt tried it. let us know how that works out.