Input voltage

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuenu

Reaction score
I heard that the RM100M can be used with different supply voltages. I live in Australia (240V 50 Hz) and was wondering if an amp shipped from a store in USA or Canada could be used here without using a step down transformer. I would just have to get the power plug changed or use a simple power point converter. Is this true? If so I might get my mates in Canada to ship me one.
RM100M + 3 modules = approx AUD$3,000 here in Australia
RM100M + 3 modules = approx CDN$2,000 in Canada & approx USD$2,000 in USA

So if I can get one shipped at reasonable rate I will be way in front as our dollar is only about 5% lower than USD at the moment. Can I get around the power issue easily?

One more question. Are these amps fully valve or are there solid state elements in the signal?

The stock power transformer is made to handle 240V, 220V, 120V, and 100V mains via the turn of the back panel fuse ( you would have to see it ). The Randall MTS was made to handle all world voltage mains. It all uses standard IEC power cord format to plug into the amp.

I had Mercury Magnetics make an upgraded power transformer for the RM100 that also includes 240V, 220V, 120V, and 100V taps. It runs cooler and clearer then the stock Taiwanese transformers.

The only SS in the amp are MIDI, the 12v regulator preamp valve heaters, and the 5v regulated channel switching system. Others wise its totally valve tube tech.

Thanks a lot. Mercury crop up a bit when this topic is mentioned. Why did you make the transformer mods you mentioned?

Hey Waste01, I gather you bought an RM100 from USA, had it freighted to Oz and started blasting. Is this the case? If so, maybe you could post the details of where you got it from and any duty payable etc etc (or pm me).
I gather with the RM100 I would not have to cut the plug off as the power supply cable plugs into the amp, thus all you need is a power cable with the appropriate plugs on each end. Is this correct? Thanks.

I bought mine over eBay from Funky Munky Music, as new old stock. I think it cost me around AUD$1000 shipped to Brisbane. As far as power goes, I just took an AC cable I had around from an old PC, switche the fuse orientation to make it accept 240V, then started jamming.

Waste01 how do you like the amp? I always dreamt of owning a Mesa Recto for the dark & evil yet smooth tones but can't see me paying $5200 for a head. Would the RM100 fit the bill? I guess that as the Rectos use 6L6 tubes and the RM100 uses EL34s (I think) would mean the RM100 is more on the british rock side of things rather than the death metal side but I am unsure about this. The RM100 looks good on paper, but I am yet to test one. Any reliability problems?

EDIT:
I just saw an add that says this amp has 6L6 power tubes;
http://www.funkymunkymusic.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=297

But the Randall Website spec sheet says it uses EL34 power tubes;
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/specs.asp

Has the spec changed, are their different models or have I got this wrong?

I love the RM100. I was actually saving to get a Mesa Road King II, then I saw the RM100 and bought it instantly :D

You can get RM100's with either 6L6's or EL34's. Mine came stock with 6L6's, and sounds incredible with the 1086 on the left mid switch setting.