jcm 800

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesterburmingham

Reaction score
ok so i've been reading a fair bit about the sl+ module and how you can change the tone for various different sounds.
the one that intrigues me to no end would be the jcm 800 mod, so i have a couple questions
A) how is it done?
B) how does it sound? (sound clips anyone?!)

also what cap's are you guys using for the cap mod on the sl+? i'm mostly happy with it as is, but i think i could be happier with it if i try these mods. so i was hoping for some input on what sounds the best. so does anyone have suggestions/sound clips?

Check out this thread:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1427

As far as the actual mod process, I didn't have much experience working with PCBs before the mod....but here's what worked for me....

First, it seemed best/essential to remove the bottom tray, knobs, faceplate, etc. so you are left with the circuit board only. It is very helpful to have a solder sucker, so you can easily remove the parts that will be replaced. Also, a proper soldering iron temp setting is key. I found that it was best to solder from the bottom side of the circuit board. Once you have the old parts out, then place the new parts *with their leads still full length*.....this allows you to better place the parts, so they won't move when you try to solder them. After they are soldered, THEN clip the leads. After that, clean up any flux residue, put the module back together, and you're ready to rock.

Sorry but I don't have any before and after soundclips.

Actually, it is a silverface module. Main PCB date stamped 11-12-02 and the vertical board date stamped 01-14-03.

If the layout is different on a blackstripe SL+ (I don't know), as long as you look for the correct components, I think you should be okay.