Mesa 20/20 with M4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian_Lee

Reaction score
Guys.. am very new here and was introduce here by a fellow TGP members.

I'm planning to get a new M4 and am wondering if anyone tried the Mesa 20/20 with the M4 before or should I just get the VHT 2/50/2 as everyone recommended.

I'm living in a small area and do not have the privilege to play in high volume .

If you don't have any intention of playing in a band- ever -then get the Mesa. It sounds good at low to moderate levels by yourself. I had one for awhile and it couldn't keep up with the rest of the band. It was hard rock/metal band. I say get the VHT. The VHT has a switch for cutting the output levels too for playing by yourself. It sounds better and you'd have a few more tonal options.

I disagree. I don't know how loud you need to be. Loud is a relative thing. The Boogie 20/20 is LOUD. First of all it's two sides at 20 watts. That is a 40 watt amp into two 8 ohm loads. If you are running that into two 2X12 cabs it's gonna be loud. I played 1000 seat out door concert venues openening for acts like Fog Hat and Pat Travers about three years ago with my M4 and Boogie 20/20. Never got it up much past half way. We don't play metal but we do rock out! I found it to be a very capable amp volume wise it's just that the Egnater and Randall modules are more suitable to EL34 and 6L6 type tubes. My tone got better after I ditched the EL84's and started running the M4 into the power section of a Randall RM 50 head. That would be my main concern. I think you would enjoy the 20/20 but try to chaeck out a Randall or VHT also. Everyones got thier own thing and you might or might not dig it.

I'm using an M4 and 20/20 rig, it's plenty loud enough into two 1x12 or 2x12 cabs in a loud rock situation. If you're playing metal or something heavier, it's not going to cut it in a full band situation. That being said...I agree with the above poster, having recently played through a 2/50/2, I'm going to retire my 20/20 to living room use and get the VHT, tonewise it's no comparison.

I have a mint condition VHT 2/50/2, oringinal box, unfilled out warranty card, etc., if you,re interested. I paid 950 brand new two and ahalf months ago from Frank at the Amp Lounge. I,m asking 750. Peace. Contact: [email protected]

I had both the Mesa 20/20 and the RT2/50 a/b them for low volume studio use, and for my style of music the Mesa was better. ( at least for me) The 20/20 as Tommy pointed out is LOUD thru 2 2x12's . I also discovered the Randall was quite noisy compared to the Mesa for recording. I still have the Mesa, sold the RT2/50 to Robert ( Fatang ) and have no regrets. In a live situation I cannot compare the two, but for livingroom/ bedroom levels without a Hotplate or some other attenuator I'd go for a lower output power amp. Unless you're going to crank the power amp you won't get any power amp tubes to break up, so you'll rely on the preamp for gain and distortion.

BTW- Tommy- "Slow Ride.".......LOL

Howard