Mic Eliminator- great recording tool

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to record, using the Mic Eliminator straight into my Mackie board. I was pleasantly surprise of the signal I was getting onto my Mac. the guitar signal sounds just like it was coming out of the amp, true to the original tone with no coloration at all. I even tried it with my Godin nylon string for a clean acoustic sound, worked great 8)
I'll post some clips soon.
BTW a big thanks to all who has answered my questions on here. You guys are amazing.
T.

Cool!

Does the mic eliminator constantly change in sound as you switch out modules, adjust their settings, change tubes, etc.? Also, does it try to replicate the sound of the speaker(s) you are using?

I had an RM20 with the mic eliminator and thought it was pretty good... one of the better cab sims I'd ever used (good also: the redbox out on the H&K Triamp II at 4x the cost!).

I didn't use it solo very much (except for quick demos), but tended to blend it in with a mic'd tone for a fatter mix.

--B

I want randall mts cab 4x12 with mic eliminator now!
Anyone knows where to buy one in EU area... ?

Imagine this : you can use your effects also after mic eliminator directly to board. So i.e. dry only from Randall 4x12 and from mic eliminator to stereo delays etc. and then to board!

Or you could use it to monitor your self from a little pa speker / monitor from the stage. You don't have to mic the cab necessarily.

Chad said:
Cool!

Does the mic eliminator constantly change in sound as you switch out modules, adjust their settings, change tubes, etc.? Also, does it try to replicate the sound of the speaker(s) you are using
?

Chad, I find the Mic Eliminator signal will give you a really close sound of what's coming out of your speakers, in other words, what you're hearing going on tape is what you're hearing coming out of your cabinet. I really dig this because , a lot of times you get a great sound, but it doesn't sound the same after you recorded it. Miking, EQ, mixing along the signal path often altered the tone. This is just awesome for always getting what's coming out of your amp recorded.
T.

Jrm4 said:
Imagine this : you can use your effects also after mic eliminator directly to board. So i.e. dry only from Randall 4x12 and from mic eliminator to stereo delays etc. and then to board!

Or you could use it to monitor your self from a little pa speker / monitor from the stage. You don't have to mic the cab necessarily

Great ideas here. The options of combining and adding extra mic open up a lot of possibilities for fatter, bigger tone on the recording.

I know that some guys on here are using the Mic Eliminator live to get a consistent tone coming out of the board. Even if you mark the mic spot on the cabinet, the sound will always change somewhat going on the board. But if the EQ on the board stays the same, signal path will always be consistent via Mic Eliminator.
T.

I've got one of the MTS 2x12 cabs with Mic Eliminator and I really like it too. It is the best cab simulator I've ever heard, either for live or for recording, and I've owned/used a lot of the stuff that's out there.

I wonder if Bruce or Randall would ever consider doing a special rackmount version of the Mic Eliminator geared more the for home/project studio market? Kind of a like a Palmer or the old Marshall SE100 where you have a reactive load that you plug your amp into. That way you can have totally silent recording, but still be able to extract the juicy tones out of your amp. Also, a few more EQ controls and maybe an FX loop would be really useful features in a studio environment.

3 Mile Stone said:
I'm diggiing this. Anyone know if the Egnater cabs come with the eliminator a well?

i don't know about the Egnater cabs, but Bruce did indeed designed the Mic Eliminator for the MTS cabs.
T.

Jrm4 said:
I want randall mts cab 4x12 with mic eliminator now!
Anyone knows where to buy one in EU area... ?

Or you could use it to monitor your self from a little pa speker / monitor from the stage. You don't have to mic the cab necessarily.
JRM: E.g Swedish chain of retailers Musikb?rsen has the cabs you're looking for. I believe the cabs should have the suffix CS to their designation to carry the eliminator. Couldn't tell if these are stock in their shops, has to be ordered by mail-order or will have to be ordered from the manufacturer.

An option is the Groove Tubes designed Speaker Eliminator in one of its many shapes (among which Marshall made one calle SE-100). These have a dynamic resistor load, a Celestion type response curve and the option of closed/ open back and various angles relative to the axis of the imagined speaker in which the mic is placed.

Quite a bit of R&D went into the mic eliminator design. I think most of the cabinet simulator direct boxes do not include the sound of the microphone in the equation. In other words, they all simulate the frequency response of the cabinet but not the actual signal that is coming out of the SM57 or whichever mic is used. When listening to the Mic Eliminator, we set up a number of the direct boxes and a couple of different mics and were able to listen to them all just by bringing up the correct channels on the console. We tweaked the Mic Eliminator to sound like the best live mic tone. I think it sounds excellent. Too bad more people don't know about it because it is a really cool and useful feature.

Egnater

bruce egnater said:
. When listening to the Mic Eliminator, we set up a number of the direct boxes and a couple of different mics and were able to listen to them all just by bringing up the correct channels on the console. We tweaked the Mic Eliminator to sound like the best live mic tone. I think it sounds excellent. Too bad more people don't know about it because it is a really cool and useful feature.

Egnater

Bruce,
Thanks for the insights into the R&D process of the Mic Eliminator. After trying out recording and running into it live, I was totally sold on the MTS cabs. I never heard any DI that came this close to capturing the original signal. Like I've mentioned above, the sound I'm hearing going into my hard drive is the sound coming out of my cabinet.
I can't wait to hear what you got in store with Randall. Any new modules in the works? Hopefully, we'll see some dual channel Randall coming out soon :wink:
Tung

Would have loved to have the mic eliminator on my combo. Less stuff to take to a gig. :)

Thanks for the info, Bruce!

bruce egnater said:
Too bad more people don't know about it because it is a really cool and useful feature.

Randall has almost zero info about it on their website, which certainly doesn't help.

Beagle1 said:
I wonder if Bruce or Randall would ever consider doing a special rackmount version of the Mic Eliminator geared more the for home/project studio market? Kind of a like a Palmer or the old Marshall SE100 where you have a reactive load that you plug your amp into. That way you can have totally silent recording, but still be able to extract the juicy tones out of your amp. Also, a few more EQ controls and maybe an FX loop would be really useful features in a studio environment.

How much would they retail if Egnater/Randall makes Mic eliminator rack version?

Anomaly said:
Beagle1 said:

How much would they retail if Egnater/Randall makes Mic eliminator rack version?

That is a good question...only Bruce or someone from Randall could tell us that. Maybe they don't feel there is enough of a market for a rackmount/studio version of the mic eliminator.

I will say I would pay up to $1K for a top-notch load-box and analog speaker emulator...I've easily spent way more than that on various other direct recording solutions (both software and hardware). I noticed that SPL just introduced at MusikMesse a new 2U analog speaker emulator and load-box...I think it's supposed to sell for around $1K. There are some sample clips on their web site...IMO the clean sounds were very good, but the distortion sounds were a little fizzy. I like the Mic Eliminator a lot better.

Do you think that is possible to use mic eliminator output (RM20) only with headphones? (through some xlr/jack adapter)

hyenik said:
Do you think that is possible to use mic eliminator output (RM20) only with headphones? (through some xlr/jack adapter)
just get a cheap and small mixer like a behringer or something ...they have head phone jacks on it ..then you can mix tunes in with your playin!!