Midi Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamisano

Reaction score
I have both a Randall RM100 and an Egnater M4. I also have an ART X-11 MIDI foot controller. However, I can not get the ART to work with either. I am no MIDI wiz so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Make sure the midi channels of the ART and the RM100 (or M4) are set the same. To avoid opening the RM, just try changing the ART midi channel (1-16) until you find the channel that works.

The M4 is programmable by the dipswitches in the back. Refer to the manual for the settings.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall/Egnater%20M4%20Manual%20%283-07%29.pdf

After you set what channel it responds to, all you need to do is pick a program change message on your controller, send it to the M4, then toggle to which module you want the program change to correspond with (with the switch on the front of the M4), hold the channel switch button on the M4 until you hear it click and see the red light flash. Bob's your uncle.

I have tried every channel on the ART and can't get a response from the M4 on any channel. Do I have to program the M4 first?

Is it a bad idea to have the omni switch on? My understanding of how the omni works, is that it will take commands on any channel, is that correct?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

I had a similar problem with my LB head. I had to reset the channel on the head and everything worked great after that. You have to pull the head out of the shell to get to the MIDI switches.

Jack,

What exactly do you mean by reset the channel on the RM100?

Thanks,

Pete

I flipped all the dip switches on and off. The head I had would only recognize the RF3 switch I had. I tried an ART X15 and sending changes from a Digitech GSP 1101. The head would not recognize any thing.

I flipped all the switches in the opposite direction and then back. Everything worked fine after that.

It was like flipping a breaker at your house.

pamisano said:
I have tried every channel on the ART and can't get a response from the M4 on any channel. Do I have to program the M4 first?

Is it a bad idea to have the omni switch on? My understanding of how the omni works, is that it will take commands on any channel, is that correct?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

If the dipswitches are set to OMNI the M4 will respond to all midi channels. S6 and S7 should not both be switched on as they are to enable whether the M4 responds to CC or program change messages. First try enabling S6 and then try the following.

Just send any program change message to the M4 and then toggle to the module you want the program change message to correspond with using the gray channel select button on the face of the M4. Then wait a few seconds, press and hold the gray channel select button in until you hear a click and you will see the LED's on the modules flash. This will let you know the M4 has accepted the data.

If the above scenario still yields no results. Disengage S6 and enable S7. Send CC messages 56 thru 63 and you should be getting a response from the M4.

EDIT-I'm not 100% as to whether it really matters if S6 and S7 are engaged simultaneously. I checked the manual for the X12 and it says it defaults to midi channel 1. Try doing a factory reset on your pedal and see if that helps. Also if you reconfigure the dipswitches you have to power off and then back on for the unit to accept the changes. Good luck!

Tried the programming thing again and all is well. I am able to switch between each module with no issues.

Next question, I am adding a TC Electronics G-Major to my rack. If I want specific effects to each module, how does that work with the midi through? Can I assign a module in the M4 to channel 1 and a patch in the gmajor to channel one, connect the two via midi through and expect both change with the same pedal on my X-11?

Yep, you can do that.

Set up your chain like this.

X11 MIDI Out> Amp MIDI in> Amp MIDI Thru>G-Major MIDI IN.

Now when you change to patch 1, the amp and g-major should change accordingly.

You can even go as far as assigning patch 5 to change to module 3 and have the g-major change to patch 5. The possibilities aren't endless but their are quite a **** few. :lol:

***UPDATE***

So I have the M4 and G-Major in the rack, using the X-11 to switch between modules on the M4 and between USER presets in the G-Major. It is pretty darn cool!

I have simple reverb, delay & chorus setup for my clean channel. I have a touch of delay and reverb for my dirty rhythm, and reverb and a bit more delay for my lead channel. Then on the next bank, I have a couple Van Halen patches, one for Dance the Night Away w/ the SL+, and one for Unchained also with the SL+...and the list goes on!

I love this midi stuff. Can't believe I have avoided using it for all these years.

Thanks again, all, for the help!

Pete