Midi stopped working --- what could be the cause?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I had my Randall rm4, rocktron xpression and rt2/50 all set up with midi on channel 1 working just fine for the last month and then all of a sudden it stopped changing the midi on the rm4 and rt2/50. The rocktron xpression still changes. Any ideas of what could be causing this to stop? My first guess would be a fuse, but I don't know which one??

Any help would be appreciated.....

Regards.
:?: :?: :?:

Most liky the fuse on the midi board...on the RM 4 not sure where it is...Burce should be on today!

Before we pile on randall, what's the wire routing on the back of the gear? Midi controller goes to what and then what and then what.

If there was a problem with the out/thru on the rocktron, it could be an issue with IT instead of the randall stuff. I'm not saying it can't be the randall gear, but it might bear a little more investigation before some of us release the hounds.

It could also be a bad cable, or something came loose in the back... I'd hook up the controller directly to EACH item, see if it still works - once you find the one that doesn't switch, that could be the problem. Or swap cords around, maybe you have an intermittent cable.

Pete

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did try each unit by themselves. Neither the rm4, or rt2/50 would change channels. I can rule out the cable, it works just fine on the rocktron. I am using a midi mouse to switch channels.

I appreciate any other suggestions to try.

Todd said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did try each unit by themselves. Neither the rm4, or rt2/50 would change channels. I can rule out the cable, it works just fine on the rocktron. I am using a midi mouse to switch channels.

I appreciate any other suggestions to try.

double check the midi ID on the rocktron - is it still set to 1? Ditto for the footswitch, if it can be changed. Sure would be quite a coincidence for BOTH of your randall items to quit working in the same way at the same time.

Pete

I'm confused as to why it would work for so long with each using the same MIDI ch.

Did you try giving each piece their own MIDI ch. and assigning those ch.'s in your footswitch?

All of my gear has it's own MIDI ch. and I assign my Ground Control accordingly.

I tried each piece of gear with a different midi cable. I am not sure how to program the midi mate to have its own midi channel for each piece of gear but it was working just fine in the past with the rm4 and rt2/50 both set on channel one, the Rocktron is in "omni" mode. When I tried to set the rocktron to a specific channel, it did not seem to work.

Maybe I should buy a new midi device? The midi mouse does change the rocktron just not the randall equipment.

I called randall and asked about this and they told me that they would get a message over to a tech to see if they have any suggestions.

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted a reply in trying to resolve my Midi issues!

Thanks mesa-vht, okstrat and hilly1212.

Here is what I can best determine was the cause and the solution:

Using the following:

Rocktron xffects midi changed fine, was set in "omni" mode.

RT2/50 and rm4 both set on channel 1 for midi.

Midi mouse used to change midi channels.

The power went out sometime over the last week, after that the rm4 and 2/50 midi no longer functioned.

Last night the power went out again and when I went to play my rig, I noticed that the Midi mouse had a strange character flashing on the display when I went to use it. I scrolled up and down and realized that for some reason when the power went out, it automatically changes the midi channel is sends out on. I quickly put it on channel 1 and presto! Everything was working again like normal.

So the solution was actually in the channel the Midi mouse was broadcasting out. The rocktron was set in omni, which means it will accept any signal on any channel, but what I did not realize at the time was that the midi mouse must have been changed to broadcast on some other channel.

You gotta love power outtages.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

One nice thing about the dip switches on the randall gear is that a power outage isn't going to change the channel they send/recieve on. :)

Pete