Mod50 + Line6 HD500 - MIDI Lesson Please!?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
It has been many years since I messed around with a midi set up.
Back in the day I had a Hughes & Kettner Triamp with midi and ran a Digitech 2120 into it. I seem to recall that when I set up a patch with the effects I wanted on the channel/mode of the amp I wanted I just learned the midi code for the amp and that was saved as part of the preset on the 2120. So recalling that preset would change the amp if it wasn't already on that ch/mode.

I got the Mod50 not even really thinking I would run my HD500 with it, but now I am thinking why not? I should be able to use 4CM so as to use the amp tone and place effects where I need them. And I should be able to control the channels of the amp with the HD500.
My question is how. Do I send something from the amp? Or do I need the HD500 to somehow learn the midi code of the particular amp channel I want to recall. I wasn't finding a first glance at the HD500 manual terribly clear.

It's actually pretty easy. There are numerous threads on this with more detail, but it basically goes like this:

• It is assumed you already have a MIDI connection from the POD to the amp and the MIDI channel configuration is set on both to allow communication (or just use OMNI mode to be safe).

Hit your footcontroller switch to change to the desired preset.

Once that preset is selected, go to the amp and select the module/channel that you want associated with that preset.

Now press AND HOLD the channel switch button for about 2-3 seconds (after the 2-3 seconds, there should be some sort of indication on the amp that you have done this properly - the module LEDs should turn off momentarily, then back on again). This will store that program change information in the amp, so whenever you switch to that preset on the POD, the amp will now know to switch to that module/channel.