more NAMM stuff - an RM12?!?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: if I didn't already have too many amps ...

do I notice theres

no input on the back panel ,
no master on the power amp ,
no solo boost ,
and a fx loop without series/parallel switch or send/return level controls ?

& +1 on separating the pre from the power amp

this is Top of the Line , right ?

What is heat generation like with this thing? Thats like 29 tubes! Also, how the hell are all those tubes being powered by one power supply? In the typeical MTS all tubes are powered with both B+ and heater voltage even if a module isn't being used.

Now, make it work properly with dual channel modules and add another power amp channel like the RT2/50 and I'm in heaven. :mrgreen:

Steve,

How much does that sucker weigh? I would love to build a rig around something like that but my back might not like it.

That is a great idea, but I would like the poweramp to be separate. 12 modules in 6 rack spaces would be something I would definitely be interested in.

it is merely a piece we were looking at doing for dealers. it may/may not be available, and of course...specs are subject to change.

i can tell you it is heavy as hell...and sounds killer. it is much like a rm20 with no master volume. something about those that sound great. think an rm20 with 6L6's.

also...Doug mentioned maybe doing a mic eliminater recording out just the the rm20's. the ultimate recording amp. 12 modules...with a mic elim. direct out.

holy balls...

more to come kiddies....more to come.

I don't understand this whole mic eliminater thing. Don't the speakers and cab color the sound?

Aaronharmon said:
I don't understand this whole mic eliminater thing. Don't the speakers and cab color the sound?

The mic elim is a filter circuit tapped off the cab speaker input but it's before the speakers, so I don't believe so.

JKD said:
Aaronharmon said:

The mic elim is a filter circuit tapped off the cab speaker input but it's before the speakers, so I don't believe so.

That is my point. You lose the color from the speaker and cab. Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing them. Based on every report I have heard, they are great. I am just saying that my intuition is that they sterilize the sound to some degree. We all know that GT75?s sound different from Eminence Texas Heats which sound different than Vintage 30?s. The tone you hear will not be the same as the tone you record because you are eliminating not only the mic, but also the cab and speaker.

Aaronharmon said:
JKD said:
Aaronharmon said:

That is my point. You lose the color from the speaker and cab. Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing them. Based on every report I have heard, they are great. I am just saying that my intuition is that they sterilize the sound to some degree. We all know that GT75?s sound different from Eminence Texas Heats which sound different than Vintage 30?s. The tone you hear will not be the same as the tone you record because you are eliminating not only the mic, but also the cab and speaker.

Bruce Egnater, who designed it, said that what they did was try to copy the tone you'd get from a V30 and an SM57. As with all simulations so far, it'll get you close but it will not be exactly the same as the real thing. It does have the benefit of giving you the same tone every single night without spending hours on soundchecks though.