MTS or Axe-FX

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chameleon2112

Reaction score
Anyone here compare the Axe-Fx with the MTS? If so, have you switched over? Did you like it ? I have a RM4 loaded with a Blackface, XTC, and Ultra. Still deciding what to put in the fourth slot. I am running it with a Mesa Recto 2:100 and 2 G-Flex 2/12's. I really like this amp, but seeing and hearing some of these Axe clips gets me wondering about it.

Paging shredoholic to the batphone!!!! :D

I'm going to say both....AxeFX for it's unbeatable flexibility (Recording, sims, cab stuff, effects) and MTS when you just got to have a real tube amp!

Lots of folks on here have an AxeFX and most everyone seems to just love it.
I almost bought one a month or two ago and then I heard about layoffs and salary cuts so I held off. I was lucky enough to make it thru with only a minor pay cut and so I am looking at the AxeFX again.

I am VERY interested in hearing opinions and personal experiences on the Axe.

I bought a POD X3 Pro and that was a complete waste of money imo so I am a little uneasy about another digital processor. I'm not a tone snob but I just couldn't find many sounds on the POD that made me happy. Every time I did I'd go back to my MTS and it would just blow the POD away.

I have an AxeFX and it cannot be compared to a PODX3. Everytime I used my POD it felt like I had a fire blanket muffling my cab. AxeFx is very good at emulating tube amps, has top notch effects, and is great for a quick recording. That being said as versatile and advanced as it is I'll take my RM4 any day.

I have/had both. I think both are very good solutions. I think the Axe FX works best as going into a power amp/cab, some very good possibilities from this and lots more sounds in one package. I mainly used the Axe fx for direct recording however, and preffered the simplicity of the MTS setup for live. It was just nice to have my 4 channels, and use my floorboard fx as I have been for a long time. I think using the axe live is great, , but you will also need a good midi floorboard, and lots of programming chops/time to get it as you like. But the nice thing is that it also has some good efx,

really you can go both ways. If you stick with MTS, be sure to get your modules modded, and I think you will really be happy then

Recently I had a similar thread going where my conclusion really was both. At first I though the Axe would totally replace my entire set of other gear to include my MTS stuff. Truth be told as amazing as the AXE-FX is I still prefer to have no kidding tube gear for some applications. For recording the AXE is the undisputed KING no questions.
for "low" stage volume gigs the Axe is still king.

However if you play in a metal band with a monster double bass drummer etc. then IMO the AXE (or anything else I have tried) does not trump my hi gain modded MTS modules through a VHT power amp and numerous 4x12's. however even in my MTS / Metal setup I still use the AXE for its Eventide quality effects.

I have a TC G system and 2 rack trays full of pedals all controlled with a GCX and GCP. I really like the TC effects and the ability of programing it with my lap top but still use my pedals more. Pedals are easier to dial in and tweak. I still prefer my M4's for tube tones.

I have read a few issues with the AxeFx having ground loop problems which keeps me from trying one at the moment. All in all my post is just the ease of tweaking pedals and switching out tubes on amps and pre amps to get different tones is more for me. Preamp a few knobs maybe a pedal or 2 into tube amp....Simple and quick...no programing required.

What Jeff Schroeder off Smashing Pumpkins said on hugeracksinc was he uses both, and they're both amazing. He uses the RM4 85% of the time and AFX the rest, mostly for cleans. But I'm kinda thinking that if he wasnt so in love with the MrScary, maybe he'd use the AFX more =)

I had AFX, and I've heard RM4. I'd say the AFX is WAY more flexible (because of the endless tweakability of the amp sims...tonestacks, biasing and all that), but I think quality wise, they're pretty much the same.

I'm thinking I might get both. I'm currently in the process of buying a RM4, and am also thinking maybe I'll get a used AFX standard as well. What a killer combo that'd be.

My rig has become so heavy and cumbersome that it's literally a pain in the *** to carry around - its a 10u rack and weighs about 1000 kgs.

I've been tempted to downsize: Axe FX+power amp+wireless+Power Conditioner would all fit into a 6u rack or even smaller. That would be the selling point for me, but everytime I hear my Randall+Mesa rig, I just forget about everything else :?

I dunno man, try both. I think I'll buy the Axe FX at some point to see if it is as good as people say it is. The direct recording would also be so handy.

harsh said:
My rig has become so heavy and cumbersome that it's literally a pain in the *** to carry around - its a 10u rack and weighs about 1000 kgs.

I've been tempted to downsize: Axe FX+power amp+wireless+Power Conditioner would all fit into a 6u rack or even smaller. That would be the selling point for me, but everytime I hear my Randall+Mesa rig, I just forget about everything else :?

I dunno man, try both. I think I'll buy the Axe FX at some point to see if it is as good as people say it is. The direct recording would also be so handy.

Take a look at my rig....48 spaces lol scroll down you will see my post and pic.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50937

AxeFX is great idea. We waiting for this several years. Better to have in some stompbox :), but IR has high HW requirements so then in rack. Super is that you can load your own impulses and huge variety of sounds.
But biggest problem of AxeFX for my ears is higain (especially chuggy chug things) there you can really hear simulation :( Still missing "rough tube mids", imho basic problem of every simulation. In A/B comparison with real tube amp AxeFX will loose.

No good MIDS = No good guitar sound.
I know that lovers of "modern" sound disagree, but this is their fight ;)

jlbaxe said:
Take a look at my rig....48 spaces lol scroll down you will see my post and pic.

Lol! You lug that thing to all your gigs?? :shock:

I've got a lot of rack stuff lying in my room that I had to kick out of the rack coz I just couldn't carry the rig anymore!

But yeah, if I was a famous rockstar with 5 roadies and a guitar tech, I would carry it all to every show :wink:

jlbaxe said:

You carry that beast to all your concerts? How??

I have so much stuff lying around in my practice room that I had to kick out of the rig coz I just couldn't carry it anymore! But yeah, if I was a famous rockstar with roadies and a guitar tech, I would have the biggest rig and have them carry everything for me :wink:

harsh said:
jlbaxe said:

You carry that beast to all your concerts? How??

I have so much stuff lying around in my practice room that I had to kick out of the rig coz I just couldn't carry it anymore! But yeah, if I was a famous rockstar with roadies and a guitar tech, I would have the biggest rig and have them carry everything for me :wink:

No i just use my mod50 or Mod100 and TM212 and maybe TC G system. that is just the dream rig and I dont play out anymore.

jlbaxe said:

I like the naked RM100 on top :D

I need to move my pedals onto my GCX at some point....fed up of the noise and hassles caused by 'em being in front all the time and on the floor.

JKD said:
jlbaxe said:

I like the naked RM100 on top :D

I need to move my pedals onto my GCX at some point....fed up of the noise and hassles caused by 'em being in front all the time and on the floor.

It will be a big difference!

Just paid Jeff Monday for all the work to be done to it. Now im waiting on the Headcase to arrive so I can ship it and a small loan for shipping. lol

I think aeroic has bought and sold 2 of them. He is on rig-talk.com Eric. I think a few others have bought and sold them on there also.

I have been brought up around people that believe solid state can not replace tube feel and tone. I'm 39 and have yet to find anything that does. Each has there place. I started with a solid state peavey amp and my friends had tube amps, even the ADA 200 single space preamp tube amp is nothing like a full size tube, although it will warm up the sound. Just my 2 cents.

JKD said:
Paging shredoholic to the batphone!!!! :D

LOL

As per our discussions I have been playing my standard for about 3 weeks now. At this point it is the most amazing piece of gear that I have ever purchased. Not feeling anything else at the moment including my RM 50. Even though I have toyed with the idea of selling my MTS.....I think that would be a rash and unwise decision down the road. I don't know if it's the stereo thing that's throwing me off or what. But the tone/feel of the axefx is awesome......I'm not going to lie about it. I have alot of love for MTS and I covet my Gigmodded Recto and KH-3.....they are masterpieces and I know I would regret letting them go down the road.........