MTS rack, more reliable than RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RADE01

Reaction score
I forked out for a new RM100 in late 2007(I think), which in Australia is pretty expensive.
First one turned out to be a dud, it was replaced under warranty after a long wait because their warranty repair service doesn't work.
Now I've had crackling problems upon start up for a year or so, every time it's repaired it still does these crackling noises.
Screen grid resistors, tubes all been replaced.
I don't know what else has been replaced, but after a few weeks of crackling I usually get some loud bangs or something and then it doesn't have much sound at all or I don't want to turn it on incase it blows my speakers or something.
Usually no tube failure lights, but once I did get one.

I can't use it out anywhere cos I generally want an amp that will work.
I gig with my 5150ll which has never given me trouble since I bought it new in 2003!

Anyone else had these noises every time the tubes warm up?

Is the rack made any better? Or is it also unreliable?

If only the RM100 had the reliability to keep up with its' tone! :x

What's the deal Randall? Do you make your amps to only last until they're out of warranty? If that long? :x

I haven't had any problems whatsoever, but one sample doesn't say much.

One thing that does come to mind is less cost to fix/replace a rack setup due to the split pre/poweramp, it's also easyer to create a "temporary fix" setup with a different (borrowed) pre or poweramp.

I have never owned a Rm100. So I cant say anything to that,...but my Rm4 has never failed me. The entire rack has fallen from 4 feet up and while the entire stage shook like THUNDER..the unit continues to work perfectly for me.
I hope Randall gets its ducks in a row and get these amps in front of more people.
GtrGeorge

Tbag! Saviour!
I'm actually building a house at the moment and can't really spare much cash. But trades could be done.

I've never used rack before, what type of power amp could I get away with?

Not living in MTS land really sucks! I'd love to be able to use my modules again soon.

anything dude, theres a VHT 2/50/2 on ebay at the moment. I've owned/own all Mesa and Marshall poweramps and various others. Alot work well really. I suppose if you like your 5150 look for an old peavey classic 60 or something. But nothing is as perfect as the RT 2/50 honestly.....

For me, KT88's are just the bomb, especially JJ's, so tight and deep! (haha), been using them for a while now and i'll never turn back.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I think the rack version seems to have less issues from what I've heard.
Probably the way to go.

It appears Randall no longer makes the poweramp.

Rade, my Aussie friend...
I tried the Peavey power amp, and also another barnd can;t recall...the result was so bad I almost didnt buy the Rm4...I thought it sucked.
But once I heard the Rt 2/50 I could hear how good the rm4 really is.
I really like the Rm4 with the rt2/50. Others speak well of using a VHT power amp, and of the Marshall tube power amp.

I haven't heard them...I wonder if they could sound better than an amp designed for that preamp?
But hey its all good.
You can find a used rt2/50 at a good price. But I found the weight of an rm4 and an rt 2/50 in 1 rack is just to much. Thats why I pine for a 3 channel 50 watt Randall mts combo..but I digress.

GtrGeorge

Thanks for the advice GtrGeorge. My American friend.
The rt2 isn't even on the randall site anymore. But yeah VHT,Marshall or Mesa would be ok I guess.
But can you run an RM4 into the effects loop of another head? I suppose it would sound like a POS if it did work.

RADE01 said:
But can you run an RM4 into the effects loop of another head? I suppose it would sound like a POS if it did work.

It would be odd if it didn't work
and sounding like a PoS would be odd, just using the powersection of an amp with an RM4 shouldn't make much difference compared to a loose poweramp, unless the amp used is a PoS

Nightdare said:
just using the powersection of an amp with an RM4 shouldn't make much difference compared to a loose poweramp, unless the amp used is a PoS
:lol: :lol:
I love the way you put it.

GtrGeorge! said:
But I found the weight of an rm4 and an rt 2/50 in 1 rack is just to much.
Agreed. I love my RT2/50, but it is heavy! For small clubs & such the Mesa 20/20 is all I use. Compared to an RT2/50 or the Mesa 50/50, it's light and only takes up 1U of rack space.

HughJasol said:
GtrGeorge! said:
But I found the weight of an rm4 and an rt 2/50 in 1 rack is just to much.
Agreed. I love my RT2/50, but it is heavy! For small clubs & such the Mesa 20/20 is all I use. Compared to an RT2/50 or the Mesa 50/50, it's light and only takes up 1U of rack space.
How does the tone compare though?

I have the same problem, someone needs to bring out a 50 watt mono rack poweramp with an alu chassis .. that would rock.

Love the RT2/50's tone though .. and from what I can find, anything comparable (Mesa, VHT, Engl) is just as **** heavy ;)
Maybe that Egnater 1u 30/30 watt poweramp will come out in Januari!
If that has versatility in channel switching or other stuff, I'm gonna seriously consider that. :D

m0jo said:
You got me there . . . it doesn't! :lol: Don't get me wrong - the EL84-loaded 20/20 is more than adequate tonewise, but it can't compare to the RT2/50.

from what I can find, anything comparable (Mesa, VHT, Engl) is just as **** heavy ;)
Sad but true.

If that has versatility in channel switching or other stuff, I'm gonna seriously consider that. :D
Hadn't heard about that! But that one definitely has my interest piqued (peaked too!) . . . you have any links to more info on this?

HughJasol said:
m0jo said:
You got me there . . . it doesn't! :lol: Don't get me wrong - the EL84-loaded 20/20 is more than adequate tonewise, but it can't compare to the RT2/50.

from what I can find, anything comparable (Mesa, VHT, Engl) is just as **** heavy ;)
Sad but true.

Hadn't heard about that! But that one definitely has my interest piqued (peaked too!) . . . you have any links to more info on this?
That's too bad, I'm afraid that's a no-go then.
I'd only go for ther 20/20 if it was comparable (at that level) at least in tone.
Sacrificing tone and versatility (= more tone) .. neh ;)

I've only read about it here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64845
(with Bruce)

And here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45298
(with Jeff Hilligan)

But it's old stuff.. so I hope it's still in the plans.
Jeff's description in that last topic makes it look like a winner though:

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Stereo and bridged mono mode with different tube types .. perfect.
No channel switching, but with mixed tubes that's not a real downside.
Also, 1u and fullsize tubes! No EL84 nonsense :) (no offence ;) )
I'm so hoping they release this stuff, it will make them king of the hill!

m0jo said:
No EL84 nonsense :) (no offence ;) )
:lol: None taken!

Jeff's description in that last topic makes it look like a winner though:

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Stereo and bridged mono mode with different tube types .. perfect.
No channel switching, but with mixed tubes that's not a real downside.
Also, 1u and fullsize tubes!
I'll have to read the links later when I get a chance, but wow! . . . this ^^^^ does sound like a winner! 8)

I think the last substantive update on the E2 (2-module, 1U version of the M4) was September 2010. After several years of announcements and delays, that update was that the E2 would not be released (again!) as promised in early 2011, but would instead be released in early 2012. This is pure speculation, but I would think the release of a Egnater 30/30 1U power amp would coincide nicely with the release of a 1U E2 . . . so maybe "early 2012" (or whenever the next delay gets pushed out to)?

HughJasol said:
I think the last substantive update on the E2 (2-module, 1U version of the M4) was September 2010. After several years of announcements and delays, that update was that the E2 would not be released (again!) as promised in early 2011, but would instead be released in early 2012. This is pure speculation, but I would think the release of a Egnater 30/30 1U power amp would coincide nicely with the release of a 1U E2 . . . so maybe "early 2012" (or whenever the next delay gets pushed out to)?
Funnily, I have been hearing "early 2012" a lot ... so we'll see.
I'm not holding my breath, but at the same time I'm really hoping for it ;)

By the way:
The E2 is more than "just a 2 module M4" ;)
There's actually a loop switcher in it, so you can "extend" your amp with it by switching between the modules or your amp's preamp in the loop.

m0jo said:
The E2 is more than "just a 2 module M4" ;)
There's actually a loop switcher in it, so you can "extend" your amp with it by switching between the modules or your amp's preamp in the loop.
:lol: Yes, I was over-simplifying as it wasn't too relevant to the main topic . . . But I actually did know about that; and I'm pretty excited because I could use it to extend my M4 to make a 6-slot, 3U preamp (which I think for me would be just right), rather than the overkill of 2 M4's plus a switcher occupying 5U!

So I'm crossing my fingers for an "early 2012" release of the E2 also! :)