New 2007 dual Egnater head rig!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Czajkowski

Reaction score
low-crawling under the wire at Fort Mastercard
I?m ordering 2 MOD 50 heads with T/D, COD, and an EG3/4 to lighten up my NASA live rack! My rig for 2007 will be moving from the two Egnater pre and VHT2/50/2 method I?ve been using in a W/D/D/W monstrosity to 2 Egnater MOD 50 heads. I use this approach for the following reasons: the 2+ amp rig thing that has become my mainstay live (with two discreet signal paths that I kick back and forth); crossfading (doing on a few tunes now); redundancy and more redundancy.

I had initially contemplated doing two combos like Brian Swerdefeger, but Frank seemed to think the heads were the way to go for me and my music. I really need the big rock cab sound, so I'm gonna stick with my Earcnady 2x12 monsters.

It will be cool to be able to swap my favorite modules in and out of a live (heads) and studio rig (ie4 and M4). That is a brilliant design idea by Bruce. I think I will be able to pretty much cover all my tones with a Twin, SL, SL2 and Erect with pedals. I am not happy about taking out the VOX, but I really only use it on one tune live right now (?Bionic Hillbilly? with a TS in front) and I figure it is easier to get a Twin into that territory than getting a Vox into Twin territory for the bulk of my clean tones. I think I am really a Fender/Marshall guy at heart who likes to pay visits to the other families. I really look forward to building the new rig with the Switchblade GL and getting my rack into a smaller configuration. I may add an OCD to the pedal drawer. I have recently fallen in love with the Fulltone ?69 and the SL2 chan A for some Eric Johnson and Jeff Beck covers we are doing.

Another change I?m doing to my live W/D/D/W rig is to ditch the mic?ed cabs and just go with the Palmer stereo cabinet emulator or siimilar to feed wets and the house system mix. Some are very convincing to say the least. In my new rig, I plan to feed the wets with it and also send it to the FOH for the dry portion of the mix. Also, I?ll be leaving the big K2500R and going with a smaller Rolland unit that stills sounds ok when situated behind the guitar in the rig mix. The extra sound quality of the K2500R isn?t worth the weight for most situations.

I'll post updates, pics and clips as the new beast is born and dialed.

Very cool John! Are you guys making a stop in the Philly area when you come to the East Coast? I'd love to see you guys live! :D

John,

Are you going to go with the Fantom XR? I've been looking at that one lately. The Sample sounds I've hear were great.

Definitely much lighter than your Kurz.

GaryMcT said:
Hey John!

Which Palmer unit are you going to use?

Gary

Gary,

Since John mentioned Stereo this is probably it. PGA 05-ST

http://www.palmergear.com/pga05.shtml

lucidness said:
John,

If you dont mind me asking... What is it that you do for a living?

cody

I am a certified Mastercard Operator. Seriously, aside from my band, Hectic Watermelon, I teach AP Language and Compostion and AP Music Theory. Just finished my MM in composition at SDSU. Prior to this, I served as a US Navy SEAL operator (officer) for 6 years.

:) do you get any strange looks from any of your music professors when they hear HWM? A lot of the older professors here in San Antonio are sorta of... traditional I guess.

Sweet the Texas contingent builds. Lucid- I'll be playing at Sherlocks in SA on 4/12 which should be a Saturday night.

Hello my fellow Texas brethren! Ned, send me a message when that date in San Antonio gets close... I'd love to see you guys play. 3milestone, where is that location your guys are playing at on Feb 9th?

Cody

I just can?t be flying a big monster rack out there from Cali with 2 pres and a VHT 2-50-2 (my god is it heavy).

I tried building one of these recently, too. 2 M4s and a Mesa Boogie 50:50 power amp in a 6u flight case. Way too heavy! So now I've gone to using 2 M4s and the loop switcher combined with the head to get the twenty channel amp described in another thread.

If weight is your main problem, then you might want to consider trying this solution, especially since you already have the switchblade. In addition, since you are worried about the amp getting damaged or lost, maybe this solution would help by providing a redundant backup system. For example, with 2 Mod 50s you'd have a backup power amp; so, if one of your Mod 50s were lost in transit, you'd still have the one mod 50 and the channel expander rack. Also, if the channel expander rack with the two M4s and the switchblade were damaged or lost in transit, you'd still have your two Mod 50s to use together, but you might want to have something like a Framptone Amp Switcher as a backup in case the switchblade were lost. However, you would still need backup modules in either case.

Another change I?m doing to my live W/D/D/W rig is to ditch the mic?ed cabs and just go with the Palmer stereo cabinet emulator. It is very convincing to say the least.

So may I ask where you got the palmer? I tried to get one last year with no luck. The U.S. distributors were in bankruptcy or something. Are they available now? Or have you had this one for a long time?

3milestone, where is that location your guys are playing at on Feb 9th?

That would be at the Tavern in the Grune in beautiful Gruene Texas. That's really in New Braunfels, you know where Gruene Hall is, it's just up the road. Here is a link to the web page for directions. Hope to see you and Ned there. Just FYI it is also a party for our friends 50th. We are playing early, around 9 PM and then our good freind Monty Guitar Tyler will finish out the night whilst we party down. We are doing a 90 minute set with 4 or 5 originals.

Web page:

www.taverninthegruene.com

I agree with tonesponge, but I think you should just simply buy another exact duplicate setup of what you have now, ship them both, and if one gets lost you still have one. :) If they dont get lost, then dang, that would look cool on stage... with all the lights and buttons and all.

3milestone: I'll try to make it out there that night. I love live music but strangly enought, I almost never get out there and see any bands here or in Austin. I guess I dont like the smoke in some of those places. sunset station is nice because its not enclosed. I saw vanilla ice there ones ... yaaaay... (please not the sarcasm). Do you guys have any demos?

cody