Newbie to the forum and MTS in general

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imselln

Reaction score
I am exploring getting into MTS. I'm trying to find the best way to go.

I've only seen videos for Randall gear and had thought to get a rt 2/50 and at least one RM4. But now Im seeing more about the egnater gear.

Can the RM 4 use the dual channel Egnater modules? How can you switch between them?

If you were just starting into this "realm" of amplification which way would you go? Please keep in mind 2 or 3 accessable tones isn;t enough for me.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Ed

Oh I know of The GAS. I experience it regularly.
:D
This time I want to get it right.

Will the rt 2/50 run a rm4 and a m4 simultaneously with the ability to switch between all 8 modules?

You can run the RT2/50 as two sep 50 watt amps if you want so yes it would work with both...

There's lots of mods out there, what tones are you looking for? Surely you will find some gold here like the rest of us...

Welcome sir. Prepare for loads of torment to your wallet. haha I do believe you get your bang for your buck with these amps though. Egnater is taking orders on new M4s. Do it!!! haha

Yeah, I guess I'm not the only one here with the addictive personality. Isn't that was GAS is all about?

But seriously,thanks for the hospitality.

Guys, how would you start your MTS rig knowing what you know about the module stuff now? Let's say we have $2000 to play with?
Which power amp? Which preamp? What are the MUST have modules?

Thanks,
Ed

Imselln said:
Yeah, I guess I'm not the only one here with the addictive personality. Isn't that was GAS is all about?

Guys, how would you start your MTS rig knowing what you know about the module stuff now? Let's say we have $2000 to play with?

Thanks,
Ed

Hell yes...2000 will get you going big...But you gotta decide what route you want...

For your startup costs you could get an RM4, M4, and RT2/50 ... Probably wouldn't have much left for mods then though...

Or the full amp RM100, RM50, M50 and some great mods could be got for that amount....

What are you looking for tonewise? A bit of everything? Something specific?

You'll find it here...

Imselln said:

Thanks,
Ed

This is a matter of preference. You will probably get a dozen different answers. Knowing what I know, I would start off with a Egnater MOD50 on the used market ($800-$1000). Then start looking for dual channel Egnater Modules ($250-$300/ea). You can start contacting the modders after that - because, trust me, you will.

THIS is just me, there are plenty of happy guys with their single channel stuff (and it's good stuff). I'm in love my 50W and four channels.

Good luck and welcome!

Drew

I only have single channel stuff, but if I were playing two-slot amps like Drew prefers, I would probably want to move to dual channel as well. This stuff is so much fun that two channels doesn't seem like nearly enough, even though normally I'm fine with two-channel amps. With MTS, I want at least three.

The portability of this is epic. Sure, you lose a little with a 1x12, but it really is plenty for quite a bit of situations. I also have a MOD50 head that goes great with a vert 2x12.

E293D66D-12D0-46C2-A819-A7991AF18CA9-5561-00000C8B65B55A60.jpg

Before I answer that question, I would ask, what is your application? If you're gigging every other night, then portability becomes an issue.

drewiv said:
Imselln said:

Thanks,
Ed

This is a matter of preference. You will probably get a dozen different answers. Knowing what I know, I would start off with a Egnater MOD50 on the used market ($800-$1000). Then start looking for dual channel Egnater Modules ($250-$300/ea). You can start contacting the modders after that - because, trust me, you will.

THIS is just me, there are plenty of happy guys with their single channel stuff (and it's good stuff). I'm in love my 50W and four channels.

Good luck and welcome!

Drew

+1 on that I love my MOD50, it's more that enough for me and I can give my bass player more than a run for his money and he's got 350 watts, okay so maybe bass frequencies are harder to amplify but hey ;-)

I love a number of the stock Egnater duals, any of the SL ones are fab, the MHG and the Erect are good too and the Bman is just fantastic IMHO!

Also with JF now doing donor duallies at mod+$250 modded dual sounds modules just got a whole lot more affordable.

Welcome to being broke?

?but very tone happy!!

Drew love the portable set up - V.Nice!

JayDA said:
Before I answer that question, I would ask, what is your application? If you're gigging every other night, then portability becomes an issue.
^ Very true. The MOD50 is just so perfect for my needs.
webrthomson said:
Drew love the portable set up - V.Nice!
Thanks. The best grap-n-go amp I have ever owned. Probably the best I ever will own because I don?t see any amp supplanting it.

OP ? tell us about your amp needs. Is portability a factor? Is it strictly studio use? Etc.

I love having an RM4 and the RT 2/50 amp, but I would rather have bought an eggnater made M4 for the option to use either singles or duals and the reputed build quality (although I do like having the fx loops ...).

I also picked up a combo for jamming and such, as the RT 2/50 is a total boat anchor. But I really like being able to go between diffent power tubes with a button press.

Make sure to get a couple of mods you really drool for at the start as well :). With 2K to start with you'll really have fun. Spend enough time interacting with folks here, and you'll soon see who might live closer to your tonal and musical world too.

This is generally a super friendly crew and I appreciate that... Not all gear forums are that way.

I dont see a need for dual modules... If they had a seperate 3 band eq (ala the salvation benzin that was shown with a 2nd eq) then that would be worth it but for all the expense and you only get to run a gain and and a volume for all that extra cash... You can get 2 single channel mods for the price of 1 Dual Mods, I dont have any egnater dual channel equipment and dont plan on ever getting any.. I run 4 mods through my rm4 and three in my rm100 and im working on making them all able to switch through one MIDI board.. and i am fully happy at the moment just gassing for a voxless and a g'zilla..
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
I dont see a need for dual modules....
I can respect that.
zepplin490 said:
If they had a seperate 3 band eq (ala the salvation benzin that was shown with a 2nd eq) then that would be worth it
Plenty of amps with separate channels share an EQ: Soldano SLO, Marshall DSL, just to name a couple. That doesn?t render one of the two channels useless. Is it more difficult to dial in? Sure. Are there compromises? Sure.
zepplin490 said:
but for all the expense and you only get to run a gain and and a volume for all that extra cash...
This is untrue. Quite a few of my modded modules are wired completely differently on the A & B channels.
zepplin490 said:
You can get 2 single channel mods for the price of 1 Dual Mods,
Untrue if you modded both modules.
HW-103: $180 (mod only), $330 (complete with donor) [$330 x 2 = $660]
Dual HW-103: $200 (mod only), $450 (complete with donor) [$450 x 1 = $450]
zepplin490 said:
I dont have any egnater dual channel equipment and dont plan on ever getting any.. I run 4 mods through my rm4 and three in my rm100 and im working on making them all able to switch through one MIDI board.. and i am fully happy at the moment just gassing for a voxless and a g'zilla.
This is exactly why I moved to dual channels: two modules, MOD50, four channels and four button footswitch - absolutely, the perfect gigging amp.

Not trying to piddle on anyone's parade as you very well may not like the dual channel format. Simply clarifying a little bit from a dual channel user's point of view. YMMV.