Noise question???Need suggestions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButchieT

Reaction score
Recently I played in a club w tons of lights, many neons, and when I switched to my SL+ module...the noise was as loud as my amp sounds! I tried a ground lift and switching outlets...could not overcome the horrible noise levels. I am sure there are noise defeating gadgets out there, any suggestions on what anyone uses here??
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy

I love my ISP decimator pedal- it's about $100 new and works great- though the problem you described sounds pretty serious, there would have to be some 'choking' of the notes to kill that off in any NS I would think

This sounds nuts, but you should have been able to rotate until the noise either went away or was much less. Literally rotate your body with your guitar until the noise disappears.... I played a gig at a place with a TON of neon lighting (which they wouldn't turn off) and had to play most of the night at a 45 degree angle to the crowd. :)

Pete

ButchieT said:
Recently I played in a club w tons of lights, many neons, and when I switched to my SL+ module...the noise was as loud as my amp sounds! I tried a ground lift and switching outlets...could not overcome the horrible noise levels. I am sure there are noise defeating gadgets out there, any suggestions on what anyone uses here??
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy

...and what about module, with built-in noise gate?? :wink:

Anthony

salvation said:
ButchieT said:
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy

Anthony
Ok - Tell me more :)

ButchieT said:
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy
Do you have any pedals or outboard gear? If its that bad, next time you might have to chase it down in the signal path.

droptrd said:
salvation said:
ButchieT said:
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy

Anthony

Wait one or two weeks and you will see...and hear :wink:

Anthony
SALVATION

Thanks for the replies.....I do use a few pedals, but do not have trouble anywhere but this one place...it is kinda tight there, but I am gonna try Pete's strategic placement of the guitar/body next time to see if that helps!
Thanks again,
Butch/Indy

droptrd said:
salvation said:
ButchieT said:
Sincerely,
Butch/Indy

Anthony

So, here is the answer:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6705&highlight=salvation

Anthony
SALVATION

I did a New Years gig at a place where the power panel was on the opposite side of the stage back wall. I was there a bit early so I had a chance to play with everything trying to get rid of the nasty hum. Even running direct into the amp didn't help. It was all from the massive current being detected by my pickups. The farther I walked away from the wall the better. It was a small stage so I couldn't get any more then 5 feet or so.

It was way too much for my noise gate to do anything at all. I spent the night channel hoping to clean whenever I wasn't playing.

How much noise can a Power Tube pickup? All of the pre tubes are shielded, but not the power. Would making a shield for the back of the RM100 help at all?

If it has to do with power or interference from lights, by the time you crank up your noise gate you will choke the hell out of your sustain. I hate noise gates - I prefer being able to roll my guitar volume down without the notes dying/cutting out, and feedback is a part of my playing.

If it's power related, you can usually rotate like I mentioned. Yeah, it's not fun but it does work.

AXCL said:
I did a New Years gig at a place where the power panel was on the opposite side of the stage back wall. I was there a bit early so I had a chance to play with everything trying to get rid of the nasty hum. Even running direct into the amp didn't help. It was all from the massive current being detected by my pickups. The farther I walked away from the wall the better. It was a small stage so I couldn't get any more then 5 feet or so.

It was way too much for my noise gate to do anything at all. I spent the night channel hoping to clean whenever I wasn't playing.

How much noise can a Power Tube pickup? All of the pre tubes are shielded, but not the power. Would making a shield for the back of the RM100 help at all?

Power tubes will not pick up electrical noise. It starts with the guitar pups, wiring in the guitar, etc. It's all a large electrical and inductive antenna. The last gig we played in a bar in Staten Island,NY had over 70 year old wiring that was a nightmare. A month later I set up exactly the same, including cables, in the recording studio and...... NO NOISE.
As for power tubes, in a push-pull circuit, as in all the MTS power amps,
they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Yeah, like humbucking pups. That's why you don't hear the 60 cycle hum from the power tube heaters, and the preamp tubes run DC. Good stuff!

You can also try to isolate your pickup/control cavities

A few years back I had this problem trying to record to the PC in a very small room
monitor was adding alot of hum and turning around didn't help

I had this roll of aluminum tape lying around, I know some use copper to shield their guitarcavaties and thought "Ah, What the hell"

Started covering the insides of the guitar with it and even though it was a ghetto idea it noticably decreased the hum

kc2eeb said:
Power tubes will not pick up electrical noise. It starts with the guitar pups, wiring in the guitar, etc. It's all a large electrical and inductive antenna. The last gig we played in a bar in Staten Island,NY had over 70 year old wiring that was a nightmare. A month later I set up exactly the same, including cables, in the recording studio and...... NO NOISE.
As for power tubes, in a push-pull circuit, as in all the MTS power amps,
they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Yeah, like humbucking pups. That's why you don't hear the 60 cycle hum from the power tube heaters, and the preamp tubes run DC. Good stuff!

Thanks for the info!! I'm fairly comfortable around most electronics, but I know crap about tubes. I have all of my guitars pups and cavity fully shielded. When you have a 400A electrical panel less then 10ft away, that all goes out the window :( Perhaps a solid metal guitar might help :twisted:

The only noise gate I've been able to live with is the ISP Decimator G-string. Under normal useage it doesn't choke your sustain, however if you turn it up too high it will. The signal chain is like:

Guitar > ISP (to read initial signal) > amp > Loop Send > ISP (removes noise post preamp) > Loop Return.

However it only slams shut when you're not playing. So if the noise is as loud as your playing it won't help.