Played alot of amps recently,the best one is

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had heard about MTS years ago. I originally wrote them off, thinking how could hot-swappable modules possibly compare with known commodity amps like Mesa & Marshall.

Wasn't until I watched some of Tong King's youtube vids that the quality became apparent to me.

Late to the party, but better late than never!

Now add that TTK videos are basically crap for audio quality. This is the one that I listened to and bought my Lynch Box on faith that this was a good test. Turns out I've played this amp more than any I've had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJdrGCI-kk

Well I sure do agree that G.C. generally sux a--. But, they do have some good used stuff sometimes. Just got a MIA 2000 Strat with fender noiseless pups for 700 with a fender hardcase. The used stuff is always better than the new. I will look up some of the music stores mentioned here in MI. but they are all quite the drive for me. It would be nice to know why Randall never made the G.C. scene. I got my rm50 from music123 but I could not test drive it and that was the only time I have bought music gear without getting my hands on it first. Good thing I love the amp and have no intentions of ever selling. And for those wondering about quality I have never had a single problem with my amp. Oh and Matt, your collection looks great. I am only 25 minutes from Wyandotte... Hint hintjavascript:emoticon(':lol:')

GC sucks and Ash sucks,too.
Sweetwater has been good to me, their customer service has been excellent without exception.
And Funky Munky sold me a Brahma with a tube that died 24hrs after I bought it.
GtrGeorge

PS: Funky Munky....If you want to resolve that, feel free to PM me.

GtrGeorge! said:
And Funky Munky sold me a Brahma with a tube that died 24hrs after I bought it.
GtrGeorge

PS: Funky Munky....If you want to resolve that, feel free to PM me.

PM Sent

didn't know! please get back with us so we can make it right!

Jon :wink:

**** George, did you communicate this to Funky before outing them on the boards? A bad tube can happen to any dealer...good to see Funky step up

Mike361 said:
Well I sure do agree that G.C. generally sux a--. But, they do have some good used stuff sometimes. Just got a MIA 2000 Strat with fender noiseless pups for 700 with a fender hardcase. The used stuff is always better than the new. I will look up some of the music stores mentioned here in MI. but they are all quite the drive for me. It would be nice to know why Randall never made the G.C. scene. I got my rm50 from music123 but I could not test drive it and that was the only time I have bought music gear without getting my hands on it first. Good thing I love the amp and have no intentions of ever selling. And for those wondering about quality I have never had a single problem with my amp. Oh and Matt, your collection looks great. I am only 25 minutes from Wyandotte... Hint hintjavascript:emoticon(':lol:')

C'mon over bro....ANytime....We'll have a few beers and I'll proudly display my MTS bliss! [email protected]

I was quite happy to visit an old broken down GC in Las Vegas..
LITERALLY had tumbleweeds rollong thru the parking lot. (!!!)
The boutique store town is doing fine...the 2 guys in there were more than willing to help me with anything I needed.
They sold pro gear to people who "get it". They also sold used gear, and they knew their stuff. There wasnt any brand they were opposed to selling. It was like a breath of fresh air.
GtrGeorge
..and the price of strings and picks is the same as anywhere else.

It is a strange time and place in music retail. I am the manager of a high end music store and this is our 50th year in business. We are in doing very well these days and we just told by our accounting firm that we are in the top 5% of music stores in the country from a financial health point of view. That includes the big-box stores. We became the first non-chain store to open a new additional location in over 4 years this year. Think about that... for an independent store in this day and age to be doing that well is something special.

I stock loads of high end gear and we are a dealer for most brands you could think of (or I certainly can get it rapidly). But it takes a lot a attention to what's moving and sales trends along with actually listening to people to stay on top of things. By conversing with my customers (and folks like you here) I make the best decisions possible on what to stock. I have to watch what's selling hot on the used markets (like the MTS gear), because that's EXACTLY what will not move on my sales floor. Why would anyone spend top coin on it new when so many are available used/modded at half the cost?

I actually sell a great deal of high priced gear, but I certainly agree about price points having shifted. It's a lot easier to sell a $1500 guitar to the same guy that used to come in for a $4100 one a few years back. But folks do still spend, it's just differently. I can provide anyone with the best price around, I just have to be business-wise to be able to do so.

As in any business, you do best by paying attention to your customers and valuing their business.

I purchased my MTS stuff FIRST, at retail prices. Then, after making those initial purchases, joined this forum. Of course I now know I could have saved probably a couple hundred bucks buying used.

Randall should take a lesson from Orange, with their Tiny Terror line. Lots of music stores have the Tiny Terror for sale for what, like $550-$599? Sure you can get them used for $300, but the Tiny Terror has some serious buzz on Internet guitar forums! Everybody knows about it, and it's a good product. I'm confident maybe only 2 in 10 guitar aficionados (whether beginner or experienced) would know what an MTS module is. I'm sure they've heard the name "Lynch Box" tossed around, but how many (if you're not a Lynch fan), would assume it's just some other run-of-the-mill signature amp?

I got my Lynch Box at the MF price of $1659 loaded. This deal was actually below the dealer cost. MF soon upped the price after they filled the orders they'd received at that price.

fwiw: I sent a PM to Funky Munky about the Brahma they sold me with a dying tube. they replied. That wanted to know what they do. I gave them 2 inexpensive options to resolve things..
its been quite some time and I havent heard anything more from them,
whats up with that?

Just keeping you all abreast of that.
I will also email them, again.
GtrGeorge

not sure what happened on our end.

I will follow up with shipping on (tuesday........forgot about the monday holiday)

if they weren't sent, I will send a pair of matched preamp tubes!

sorry for the trouble

jon

Jon and all at Funky Monkey..
yeah, please follow thru.
We will talk more once bizness resumes after the holiday..
anyone interested in how it turns out...I will start a new thread regarding this. Look for it.
GtrGeorge

from reading mike361's post I can tell he choses Randall MTS for the obvious and key selling feature... you chose your preamp... and with over 20 it's very flexible.

The other reason I'll add is tone. After playing the stock 1086 and stock Mr.Scary I realized very quickly that there is not a single current production Marshall, Peavey, etc... that even comes close.

I took some steps towards a custom build today... went over basic design. 50 watt platform, two independant channels... one for clean/low gain whic will have a switch to remove the tone stack from teh cct, and the second will be a high gain channel. This channel will be co - designed by myself and the builder.

Also took a step in teh design of my signature preamp. The Brahma is the platform. Decided today to go with parralleling the unused triode in the preamp tube. On teh 24th I do all the resister capaciter swaps to choose the right combination.

Cheers

To get back to the original point of the topic posted, I have to say that the best amp that I have played on is the RM100. I also use the original MTS 4x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's. I don't even have any fancy modded modules yet. I use the Blackface for cleans and with 100watts of headroom, I get a really full, warm, yet crisp tone. I use the Recto for rhythm, dial the gain back to about 10'oclock and I get a really cool tone that plays nicely with pedals. For leads, the Ultra is a saturated beast that really nails that liquid, high-gain, metal sound in spades. I have found that if you use quality tubes and bias them correctly, the tone is killer. It can also make a pretty considerable difference in sound considering what kind of preamp tubes you use. I can hardly wait to get some modded modules, but I have to say that stock MTS kills at least 90% of other amps out there. I have heard the SLO100 and Bogner Uberschall and they have a very specific, refined sound, but I'm not sure that it is necessarily superior to the sound of my RM100. I just bought a stock XTC module and I am curious what that is going to sound like, but I know that if my RM100 is tuned up it will probably rock. I got into MTS because I fell in love with the idea of having a 3 channel head that I could transform from a Jazz rig to a classic rock rig to a metal weapon with the turn of a few thumbscrews. Every amp modeler out there lays claim to "Sounds just like a tube". Why not just have a tube already. If it's not broken, don't fix it. If it works great, Leave it the Fuq alone. To sum it up: The best amp I have played is the RM100. Why? Because it consistently sounds and feels right and it offers a versatility that is just plain unavailable from other heads. It looks great on stage. I have had it since 2005 and it has never broken down on me. I can bias my own power tubes, that saves money, time, and assures a more consistent tone and feel from venue to venue. Oh yeah, it weighs a ton so it's harder to steal :lol: I also like this forum. I have gotten so much good information and really dig how cool the people have been to me. If so many good people are into the MTS series, count me in. Love y'all. Peace. :D

It depends on what my defination of best is. If I am going off of tone the best amp I played through was a used JCM 800 that had been modded. Les Paul into a Boss DS1 & GE7 to the front of the amp. Tone heaven. I think that is the tone I keep striving for, tough part is actually remembering the nuances of the tone. The basic tone was 80s metal.

At any rate I say the RM4 paired with a good power amp is by far the best. The tones are great, it is easy to swap out preamps (& you can have 4 :D ). And for the longest time I wanted a multi channel amp that could be switched by midi. With a multi effects unit I can go from clean with verb & chorus to Overdriven rythm with short delay or reverb or chorus then go to a lead sound (more gain, more volume & have different eq settings/more mids) & a longer delay. Then maybe push a button & you could go to a Jazz sound or slightly distorted BLues tone w/verb. next maybe a dick dale surf thing. I had heard the MTS stuff in a store locally. KH100. I liked it alot but funds were a different story. Plus I am a rack guy. Everything in a nice relatively little box (unless your Mattfig & have his 10 foot tall rack :lol: ). But I have bought some stuff new & some used. The Scary module was the only module I bought unheard live.

:) The MTS line is the best **** amp line on the market today. I hope it sticks around for quite a long time yet.