Preamp tube suggestions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonicboom

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been having a problem with my stock Ultra module where i have to crank it about 1/8th more than my Recto to get it to cut more(at the same EQ settings)
Might just be that the Ultra is supposed to be more compressed and a bit scooped, I don't know.

This has gotten a bug up my arse and now I'm thinking of replacing my preamp tubes and maybe getting some KT88s for the output section.

Any suggestions with brands? I've only used EH EL34's and Sovteks 5881's so far in my other amps.

Sonicboom said:
Hi guys, I've been having a problem with my stock Ultra module where i have to crank it about 1/8th more than my Recto to get it to cut more(at the same EQ settings)
Might just be that the Ultra is supposed to be more compressed and a bit scooped, I don't know.

This has gotten a bug up my arse and now I'm thinking of replacing my preamp tubes and maybe getting some KT88s for the output section.

Any suggestions with brands? I've only used EH EL34's and Sovteks 5881's so far in my other amps.
Try turning your bass knob down a bit and your mids up. I used an Ultra with an OD in front for years and the mids will give you plenty of cut. You might want to try a brighter sounding tube like a Tung Sol. Affordable and really good. I just got some of the gold pin version and they work great in my Mark X.

A couple of ideas:

Daryl's suggestion of a boost in front of the amp to brighten it up is a good one. His tone knob settings are a good idea too. That module has a naturally scooped sound, so un-scoop it with the tone controls and keep the density under 12:00.

You may want to consider different power tubes too. I always thought the RM100 was a little too dark sounding in general until I put in some Svetlana EL34s. They have a very pronounced midrange that will add a lot of punch to your tone. Check out their description at www.thetubestore.com.

On pre-amp tubes for a brighter/more cutting tone - avoid JJs, consider the Tung Sols and/or some Chinese tubes. If you want to get crazy look for some vintage Mullards - well known for their great sounding mid-range.

Sonicboom said:
(at the same EQ settings) Might just be that the Ultra is supposed to be more compressed and a bit scooped, I don't know.

Well, you would expect 2 different modules to sound different at the same settings

and the ultra XL has what the regular ultra doesn't have: (added) mids

This has gotten a bug up my arse and now I'm thinking of replacing my preamp tubes.

Want a bit more cutting thru with the Ultra I'd go with Daryl's suggestion (In the case of a different preamp tube)
Though I would start with decreasing gain before twirling the rest

My settings are Bass-about 10'o clock. mids-between 12 and 2'o clock ,and highs between 1 and 3'o clock. Density and presence very low.
Gain between 9 and 10'o clock, boosting with a Metal Screamer(80's Tubescreamer re-issue).

I cuts decently but the level seems a lot lower than the other modules. i'll swap some 12ax7's out from my TriAmp and see how it sounds:)

Thanks for the info.

In my experience:

If you want more cut, I suggest giving Tung-Sol or Sovtek's a try in the pre-amp. The Tung-Sol's have a nice high end, and the Sovtek's have a nice mid grind.