Preamp tubes in the Egnater modules and Mod amps?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrett

Reaction score
Has anyone played with swapping preamp tubes in the various Egnater modules or the preamp tubes in the Mod amps themselves? Do they come stock with the EH? Has anyone tried anything else? Thanks.

Ah, you have contracted MTS ( Module Tubeswapping Syndrome) LOL

Many have gone with Tungsols, Sovtek WC's , WA's, WB's, JJ's and countless other combinations for each module. I and others, like to try different tubes in the V1 and V2 position, especially the lower gain modules like the Twin, Vox, etc.
Do a a search on this forum and I'm sure there are many threads regarding the preamp tube combinations. Tommy ( 3 Mile Stone ) has tried every tube combination possible :shock: , he'll lead you in the right direction.

Howard

Yes, Howard is on to one of my obsessions. Really no rules just have fun with it. You need to spend some time on the internet learning about what different types and brands sound like and then compare that with your own observations. Things like Telefunken adds definition and Mullard gives you nice Marshall tones, thick and mid-sweat,

With the newer tubes I'd say Electro Harmonix is sort the standard and JJ also makes a good tube. Try starting there and swapping them out. Still need to order some iE, and Tung Sol. I hear good stuff about them. They are cheap, so buy a handful and start experimenting.

Tommy has it down when it comes to the MTS syndrome :wink: If I may add, the Tung Sol is very clean and defined for preamp tubes goes. For more grit, i prefer the JJ ECC83 S, if you want more gain and grind from your high gain modules. These are my top choices at the moment.
Tung

I'm definitely not new to the crazy tube hunt. I've got a nice stash of NOS pres and power tubes laying around and have been swapping them out in all my wacky boutique amp endeavors over the last decade. But some amps just don't respond much to tube changes, mostly newer amps. I was just checking to see if the Mod50 fell into that category or if it was worth dusting off the old tube collection.

jarrett said:
I'm definitely not new to the crazy tube hunt. I've got a nice stash of NOS pres and power tubes laying around and have been swapping them out in all my wacky boutique amp endeavors over the last decade. But some amps just don't respond much to tube changes, mostly newer amps. I was just checking to see if the Mod50 fell into that category or if it was worth dusting off the old tube collection.
I would dust them off for the MOD. :D

I agree. It takes to the subtle changes in tube style. Another way to getwhat you want out of it!

So Jarret are you getting used to teh amp? Things sounding more the way you wanted them too?

Semi related question for you mod50 guys... how much does one weigh compared to the RM100? I'm sending my RM off to Jeff once they get the midi mods set up to run the eggy two channels in there... but my back hurts just thinking about that RM100!

Pete

3 Mile Stone said:
So Jarret are you getting used to teh amp? Things sounding more the way you wanted them too?

Absolutely, I am loving the thing at home. I really dig the SL2, very cool module. I kinda like the T/V too, but I don't think its going to be my clean module ultimately. I am really interested in the Vox and T/D modules that are on the way and they are sending me a new one called "X" that is based on the MHG apparently, but has an updated voicing. Interested to hear that as well.

I'm hoping I can get the Mod50 setup better on stage this weekend, it just wasn't doing it for me last weekend in the clean department. I messed with it all week at home A/Bing it with my old gigging rig at stage volumes and got it to match up pretty well. Hoping for good results this weekend.

okstrat said:
Semi related question for you mod50 guys... how much does one weigh compared to the RM100? I'm sending my RM off to Jeff once they get the midi mods set up to run the eggy two channels in there... but my back hurts just thinking about that RM100!

Pete
Hey Pete I think the mod is right around 35lbs.

i share your pain .
My Vendetta when it arrived from Fedex was 65lbs .
I think im going MOD 50 .It does get to be a bit much carrying up 2 flights of stairs .lol
I believe the RM100 is about the same 60 70 pds

I had a bad tube in my T/V module. That was my issue I think. It was an intermittent thing. I swapped out the Sovteks that where in with with some NOS RCA 12AX7s and things sounded a little better and the weirdness I was having last week was gone. The SL2 has a Sovtek and EH 12AX7 in, but it sounds so good I dont want to mess with it.

jarrett said:
The SL2 has a Sovtek and EH 12AX7 in, but it sounds so good I dont want to mess with it.
I would get rid of the sovtek, as soon as I swapped mine with EH, Tung Sol or JJ, tone improved right away.

I agree. My last set of modules had the Sovteks and they were just sort of lifeless. I found the EH to be a little livelier sounding. But if you dig it, you dig it, so stick with it. Glad you got that clean tone happening. Enjoy that amp.

Wow, a better tone out of the SL2... hmm ok gotta try that :) What do the modules usually ship with new? Also, how do you know what is V1 and V2 on the modules? I just did a quick scan of them and didn't see anything standing out as which was which.

Man you guys weren't kidding. The Mod50 is really sensitive to tube swaps. I got in my VX, T/D and EG5 (?) modules last night and spent some time A/Bing the modules and swapping tubes. This amp is like a blank canvas in terms of tone. It's whatever you want it to be pretty much, just gotta have a sound in your head to go after.

Speaking of preamp tubes, have any of you played with swapping the preamp tubes that are in the amp's chassis? I've got one going microphonic in there and trying to decide what to replace it with.

Never tried in the chasis. You are right about the modules. I put a couple of GT Mullard 12AX7's in the SL2 and Tungsol Reissues in the T/D, nice change. I have a couple of the new New Sensor Mullard 12AX7's coming in that I am going to put in the SL2, I heard they have more gain, we'll see. I put a couple EH in the MHG, not sure what to try next in that module next, the EH's do seem ok though.

Hey Don and Jarett .

Since you guys are the only ones with the EG5 in thier hands can ya do a quick review .??

Does it sound similar to any other amps .Soldano??

Cheers!!!

:D I think that EG5 ? was typo sure he meant EG3/4. Or is there something I don't know.. I'm getting some more beer now, AFK