Preamp Tubes Question??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffrouillard

Reaction score
Can I put any tubes the 3 12ax7 slots on my RM100, the only reason Im asking is because I read on a topic that ppl had different tubes for each slot . I was going to jus put in 3 new sovtech 12ax7s in there since the tubes are original ...anyway what do u guys think/kno lol thanks for looking

Any 12AX7s can be mixed and matched...If that's what you mean...What kind is a bit of a debate....You can also use 12AU7s, 12AT7s, 5751s and a few others as well...

There's many brands out there...Your 3 new Sovteks are just fine...

Yes, you can put any 12AX7 in any of the 3 sockets, and the Sovteks will be just fine. However, some people like different tubes in different locations - a JAN Philips (or JAN GE) 5751 for the PI (Phase Inverter) tube is a common choice. I can't remember which tube that is - I think it's the closest to you and on the right if looking at the back of the amp . . . but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

duffrouillard said:
is there a scamatic of which tubes are where?

Maybe I'm not quite understanding your question...What would such a schematic provide you with?

Types of tubes?

Brands of tubes?

If those are your questions, I think almost all Randall MTS stuff ships with JJ tubes as stock...For preamp tubes, it's always JJECC83s or JJ12AX7 (Same thing)....For power tubes you have many options....Your typical Randall power amp will have JJ 6L6GCs, JJEL34s, JJEL84s...It's your preference as they do have a different character....Good luck!

I think he is wondering which tube is which P1, V1, etc.

I have not come across a "schematic"/picture, but there are a few posts that list which is which for the modules as well as the RM100 & RM4. I don't recall if the RM50, 20, or 22 have been posted.

if you are looking at the bacjk of the amp from right to left

Right, back by input - V1C - Input tube
right, closest to you - FX Buffer - V6
left,closest to you - V5 - Phase inverter

Basically whatever the tube is closest to thats what it is for

duffrouillard said:
Can I put any tubes the 3 12ax7 slots on my RM100, the only reason Im asking is because I read on a topic that ppl had different tubes for each slot . I was going to jus put in 3 new sovtech 12ax7s in there since the tubes are original ...anyway what do u guys think/kno lol thanks for looking

I wouldn't pop a sovtek in a tonesocket (V1 of amp and/or module), they're gainy, but bland/lifeless
Chiness pre's will give a sharp high end, JJ's give Low mids, Tungsol's give High mids
Most neutral tube I've found so far are EH 12ax7's

Apart from 12AX7's there's also ECC83 and 7025 as substitutes