Probably a dumb footswitch questions...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wengnutt

Reaction score
So I dont have my RF4 footswitch anymore, and I'm just curious if any of the newer model Randall 4 button foot switches will work with the RM4/RT250 setup? I assume that the footswitches are midi and would probably work the same but I just wanted to make sure before I snag one.

I have a 4-button Randall footswitch (which I am assuming is an R4) that only switches channels 1 and 2 on the RM4... I'm not sure if it's defective, or if it's maybe a newer model non-RM4 compliant footswitch, but I thought I'd throw that out there...

Hey man :)

Does it have any labels next to the switches, like channel, effects, reverb or anything like that? The RF4 is labeled numerically 1-4 for each channel. If you have that one, then you might have a defective one. Have you set it up for channel switching? Since it's MIDI, you have to do a few things to make sure all the channels work.

rhequiem said:
I have a 4-button Randall footswitch (which I am assuming is an R4) that only switches channels 1 and 2 on the RM4... I'm not sure if it's defective, or if it's maybe a newer model non-RM4 compliant footswitch, but I thought I'd throw that out there...

Nope, just 1-4. I didn't set anything up besides plugging the MIDI out on the R4 to the MIDI in on the RM4. I bought it all used, so I figured it was just something wonky with the R4

Here is a link to the site with all the manuals. Take a gander at the RM4, and it'll show you how to set it up for channel switching. It doesnt take long :)

If you're still having problems with it, I know there were some users on here that previously had a few glitches due to MIDI dip switches, but that might not be the case. Lemme know how it turns out!

Heres the link
http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

rhequiem said:
Nope, just 1-4. I didn't set anything up besides plugging the MIDI out on the R4 to the MIDI in on the RM4. I bought it all used, so I figured it was just something wonky with the R4

It's probably not set up yet.

It's very easy:
- stomp on the switch number that you want to save (let's say we want 1 to be clean so stomp on number 1)
- Use the channel button on the amp to go to the module you want for that (in this case the clean module).
- Press and hold the channel button on the amp for about 5 seconds
- Confirm that the channel is saved to the number by stomping back and forth on the switch ;)

@ Wengnutt:
If they are the "RF4" model then they are specifically made for the RM4 / RT2/50 setup ;)
But there are also other 4-button switches for the other amps, these have labels like "Effects" or "Reverb" on them like you said.
Any Randall numerical midi switch will work for the RM4 :)

Awesome! Thanks for the infor mOjo :D

m0jo said:
It's probably not set up yet.

It's very easy:
- stomp on the switch number that you want to save )let's say we want 1 to be clean)
- Use the channel button on the amp to go to the module you want for that (in this case the clean module).
- Press and hold the channel button on the amp for about 5 seconds
- Confirm that the channel is saved to the number by stomping back and forth on the switch ;)

@ Wengnutt:
If they are the "RF4" model then they are specifically made for the RM4 / RT2/50 setup ;)
But there are also other 4-button switches for the other amps, these have labels like "Effects" or "Reverb" on them like you said.
Any Randall numerical midi switch will work for the RM4 :)

Hey guys,

I just got my RT2/50 over the weekend and the standard dedicated channel / tube stage programming seems straightforward. I have a Little Giant that I use with my Axe-fx, I'd like to take advantage of the midi power to set up multiple combinations like any preamp with any power tube stage.

Is there a way to override the "hard" preset assignment in midi? The midi map for the RM4 doesn't really tell me anything about routing assignment to the RT2/50 and the RT2/50 doesn't seem have a midi map at all. I'd like to be able set up the Little Giant to have two positions for each preamp channel so I can swap out the modules and not have to reset the button push programming each and every time.

It looks like the previous owner of my RM4 took off the cover and may have set/reset the internal dip switches. Is there any way of querying their values in midi without opening the cover? Or is it trial and error?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-B

What you do with the set of actions I described earlyer is fill in the midi map.
AFAIK the RM4 will just not react to anything that wasn't set using that method (since it doesn't know what the proper action is).

I think it's quite easy, just choose the PC you want, then use the actions I described to teach the RM4 which channel corresponds with that PC.

You will need to set the right midi-channel though.
There's no way of querying it, since the RM4 and RT2/50 only recieve and pass-through, they don't send anything.

What you could do is this:
- set up sets of 2 footswitches on you Little Giant: PC1 and PC2, each set on a different channel.
- use the actions above to teach the RM4 to respond to the PC's
- see if the RM4 reacts, the set it reacts with will tell you the midi-channel.

I personally would just rip off the top cover ;)
There are around 25 screws, all of those on the top need to come off and 3 on the front.
When looking from the front of the RM4: the most left and back screw, over the pre-amp tubes is a different type, so pay attention to that.
It requires a smaller bit and will screw up the other holes if you twist it in there!
(it's different because they didn't want a screw sticking out into the place where people will be sticking their hands to change tubes ;) )

m0jo said:
What you do with the set of actions I described earlyer is fill in the midi map.
AFAIK the RM4 will just not react to anything that wasn't set using that method (since it doesn't know what the proper action is).

I think it's quite easy, just choose the PC you want, then use the actions I described to teach the RM4 which channel corresponds with that PC.

You will need to set the right midi-channel though.
There's no way of querying it, since the RM4 and RT2/50 only recieve and pass-through, they don't send anything.

What you could do is this:
- set up sets of 2 footswitches on you Little Giant: PC1 and PC2, each set on a different channel.
- use the actions above to teach the RM4 to respond to the PC's
- see if the RM4 reacts, the set it reacts with will tell you the midi-channel.

I personally would just rip off the top cover ;)
There are around 25 screws, all of those on the top need to come off and 3 on the front.
When looking from the front of the RM4: the most left and back screw, over the pre-amp tubes is a different type, so pay attention to that.
It requires a smaller bit and will screw up the other holes if you twist it in there!
(it's different because they didn't want a screw sticking out into the place where people will be sticking their hands to change tubes ;) )

Thanks Mojo, btw I love the graphics faceplate stuff you did for Antonin. I am sorry that the WC didn't work out for NL. I suspect the former owner did the same thing to see inside. I'll email him, since he's a forumite here and maybe he can save me the trouble of unmounting it from the rack.

I tried setting up the RF4 tonight, and the process described didn't work... I work in technology, so Im not an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I am wondering if I have a defective RF4 or something...

rhequiem said:
I tried setting up the RF4 tonight, and the process described didn't work... I work in technology, so Im not an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I am wondering if I have a defective RF4 or something...
There's no reaction whatsoever?
Then the midi-channels of both devices are probably not the same..

George Jetson said:
m0jo said:
Thanks Mojo, btw I love the graphics faceplate stuff you did for Antonin. I am sorry that the WC didn't work out for NL. I suspect the former owner did the same thing to see inside. I'll email him, since he's a forumite here and maybe he can save me the trouble of unmounting it from the rack.

You're welcome man! I'm glad to hear that :) it's a great job to do ;)
WC is fine, second place is still a pretty big achievement for a miniature country like us ;)
It was also one of the dirtiest matches ever.. not WC final worthy IMO.

I'd definitly check with the previous owner, could save you a lot of BS.

m0jo said:
rhequiem said:

Nope, no response at all... I know it's an RF4, and it powers on and switches channels (lights moving to 1 2 3 and 4 when I push the switches) normally, but it won't change any channels on the RM4. My Line 6 M13 changes channels just fine, though...

rhequiem said:
m0jo said:
rhequiem said:

Nope, no response at all... I know it's an RF4, and it powers on and switches channels (lights moving to 1 2 3 and 4 when I push the switches) normally, but it won't change any channels on the RM4. My Line 6 M13 changes channels just fine, though...
That's weird, do you know what midi-channel the M13 is on?
I believe the RF4 is allways channel 1 but there might be a switch in there to change it, I've heard conflicting reports on it..

m0jo said:
rhequiem said:
m0jo said:
rhequiem said:

I believe the RF4 is allways channel 1 but there might be a switch in there to change it, I've heard conflicting reports on it..

I'm not sure on the M13 - I'll have to check that out. It's at the factory default, whatever it is. Does changing the MIDI channel on the RF4 require opening it up?

rhequiem said:
m0jo said:
rhequiem said:
m0jo said:
rhequiem said:

I'm not sure on the M13 - I'll have to check that out. It's at the factory default, whatever it is. Does changing the MIDI channel on the RF4 require opening it up?
You can check the midi channel via the midi setup menu on the M13 (can't tell you more than that, I read the manual a while back and remember this much).

If the RF4 has a switch in it you will have to open it up, no worries, 6 screws on the bottom.
But I'm not sure that it even has a switch, so that would mean you'd have to open up your RM4.

George Jetson said:
It looks like the previous owner of my RM4 took off the cover and may have set/reset the internal dip switches.

How ya doin' Mr. Jetson?

Just happened to stumble across your post. The previous owner before me may have changed the dipswitch settings, but I never touched those, as it switched properly using a midi-mate controller when I got it.

Sorry I don't know if the dip settings were changed, I have a Rocktron VP4 also (same chassis as RM4), and that collection of screws on the top panel is monotonous.

Mark