Punters in awe of the RM4 :)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrashanova

Reaction score
I've been using an RM4 in my "live rig" since getting it in December last year, and so far have only played four shows with it, but I don't think I've ever had so many compliments on my tone!

We've practiced a lot recently and the band has definitely gotten tighter since our last shows, but I'm hearing things like "that's the clearest sound I've ever heard" and "I think I need one of those" from the support bands, which can be hard to swallow sometimes - but this is from guys ranging from lespaul/marshall-ites to esp/axefx-ers so I'm starting to think it really must sound pretty good!

The funny thing is I don't think my rig has ever been more simple -
Guitars_RM4_Digitech GSP1101 FX_Mesa 2:50 Poweramp_4x12"
And I'm only using two modules - KH1 and KH3, both un-modded chinese made things with stock tubes and with the EQ's flat (12:00), gain and volume around about the same.
I use some chorus and delay on my clean tone, my standard rhythm tone is just the KH3 with no fx, and my lead tone is that same rhythm tone just with a little mid/hi-boost and some delay from the GSP1101.
Pretty boring, but it works!
I want to add a KH2 and possibly some kind of vox-style module as well, but with the exception of one part in the current setlist, I'm completely covered with the KH1 & 3 so I'm not sure I even need to 8)

Actually I'd really love to emulate the sound of my Egnater TOL50 head's dirty channel, it's probably my favourite lead tone ever and makes me feel like I'm one step closer to Greg Howe or Guthrie Govan when I play through it haha yeah right - so anyone know which module might come close?!?!?!

Cheers

For the TOL tone you probably want an Egnater EG4 module, single channel. Jeff Hilligan may be able to help you with that. He's a member here on the forum, in case you weren't aware.

There's one for sale here. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11685

I thought the EG3 was the more killer rock tone from the TOL (at least for riffs and rocking out but the EG4 may suit better if you like a smoother more saturated tone)

Great stuff man!

I'm also using the RM4 and GSP1101 :D
But combined with an RT2/50. (and a Lexicon MX200 for added crazyness)

I see what you mean, every guitarist that has heard my rig wants it!
A good friend of mine was about to buy an Engl, switched around completely and is now going for MTS.
And the rythm guitarist in my band, who just bought a Marshall DSL is now thinking of adding an RM4 with loop switcher haha

I short: MTS rocks!

By the way: do you use the preamp loop of the GSP1101?
I'm still not completely sure wether the overdrive etc. are up to scratch, quality-wise.
But it's **** simple to work with though, I control the whole rig through that thing. :D

HughJasol said:
m0jo: Are you using the 4-cable method with the GSP1101, or just going Guitar-->M4_Output-->GPS1101_Input?
4-cable.

So the guitar goes directly into the GSP1101, the RM4 is in de preamp loop of the GSP1101, output of the GSP goes to the RT2/50.

Yeah, I used the 4-cable method too when I had mine hooked up last week, but I had heard of other people using the GSP1101 straight between their guitar and their (R)M4, and I was just wondering how that worked out . . .

One thing I found appalling about the GSP1101 was that there was no rear input jack! This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. To me, one of the main advantages of a rack rig is that everything is always hooked up & ready to go . . . just plug in the speaker cable and the power cord and you're good to go. Now with my GSP1101 (and the 2120 from what I understand - do all DigiTech multi-effects units have no rear input?), I either have to have an empty rack space in order to feed a right-angle cable to the front permanently (which in addition to the extra real estate now required, just doesn't look as cool either LOL), or I have to dig into the deepest, darkest depths of the inside of my rack every time (the last thing I want to be doing just before a gig) and run a cable around the outside to the front input on the GSP1101. Too bad, because I really like the GSP1101 otherwise . . .

HughJasol said:
Yeah, I used the 4-cable method too when I had mine hooked up last week, but I had heard of other people using the GSP1101 straight between their guitar and their (R)M4, and I was just wondering how that worked out . . .

One thing I found appalling about the GSP1101 was that there was no rear input jack! This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. To me, one of the main advantages of a rack rig is that everything is always hooked up & ready to go . . . just plug in the speaker cable and the power cord and you're good to go. Now with my GSP1101 (and the 2120 from what I understand - do all DigiTech multi-effects units have no rear input?), I either have to have an empty rack space in order to feed a right-angle cable to the front permanently (which in addition to the extra real estate now required, just doesn't look as cool either LOL), or I have to dig into the deepest, darkest depths of the inside of my rack every time (the last thing I want to be doing just before a gig) and run a cable around the outside to the front input on the GSP1101. Too bad, because I really like the GSP1101 otherwise . . .

Hmm, I think that's because they designed it for users like me.
I run the guitar directly into the GSP ;) So the front input for me it pretty handy so I don't have to dig in the back of the rack for the right one of the 400 jacks ;)
But an arrangement like the RM4 would be way smarter, front and rear jack...

You could drill a 6mm hole in the GSP's rack ear, between the rack case rails and the GSP1101's main casing.
Then run a cable through it, solder a jack on it and plug it in. ;)
Not quite the thing to do, but it's a solution to conquer back one rack space ;)

HughJasol said:

In all honesty, for many fx in the GSP, that doesn't sound like a good choice

One thing I found appalling about the GSP1101 was that there was no rear input jack! This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I just scored a Lexicon MPX G2 and it does have an added 'Guitar In' in the back
When Digitech bought Lexicon, you would think they learned a few tips and tricks from them?
(I thought the GSP series was an evolution of the MPX G2?)

Nightdare said:
HughJasol said:

In all honesty, for many fx in the GSP, that doesn't sound like a good choice

One thing I found appalling about the GSP1101 was that there was no rear input jack! This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I just scored a Lexicon MPX G2 and it does have an added 'Guitar In' in the back
When Digitech bought Lexicon, you would think they learned a few tips and tricks from them?
(I thought the GSP series was an evolution of the MPX G2?)
The GSP1101 has two AudioDNA2 chips by Harmann, so that's Digitech tech.

Funny thing: the Lexicon MX200 has an AudioDNA chip.
So they actually just rolled the Lexicon lines into the Digitech production.

If you recall the Lexicon GPX2 (?) and R1 controller you'll se that the GSP1101 is basically the same product with a makeover :wink:

My signal flow is like this;

Peavey Wolfgang/HP Special guitars
TC Elec. PolyTuner
Randall RM4 preamp (front input)
Digitech GSP1101 (fx return on rear panel)
Mesa 2:50 (stereo input fed by GSP1101)
PV 5150 Quadbox (modified with Randall Mic Eliminator jack panel)

I have the current (I think) beta update for the GSP1101 v62, or thereabouts. It's added some cool new features yet again.
I'm pretty sure I have the Setup Wizard on 5, and I bypass the entire input section (amp sims, od/dist, comp, wah. tuner, gate etc...).
This kinda sucks because there is actually some cool sounds in there and I would like to take advantage of some of them.
My co-guitarist is concerned about my lack of noise-gate now :lol:
I don't get any feedback, just some preamp noise from the kh3.
He uses the GSP1101 only (into a Marshall 9200 and 1960A) for all his sounds and they mix well with mine.
I just don;t think they are responsive enough, hence why I'm using a tube preamp like the RM4!

Glad to hear some of you guys are also getting similarly good responses about the RM4/MTS from your musician friends and fans 8)

m0jo said:
an arrangement like the RM4 would be way smarter, front and rear jack...
... or the M4, or the G-System, or the Marshall JMP-1, or the Axe-FX, or <...>. Pretty much any rack unit besides one manufactured by DigiTech it would appear :? .

m0jo said:
You could drill a 6mm hole in the GSP's rack ear, between the rack case rails and the GSP1101's main casing.
Not quite the thing to do, but it's a solution to conquer back one rack space ;)
That's a good idea, and a possibility, but then again I'm guessing that would really hurt the resale value, and I'm always buying/selling/trading gear . . . :)

HughJasol said:
m0jo said:
an arrangement like the RM4 would be way smarter, front and rear jack...
... or the M4, or the G-System, or the Marshall JMP-1, or the Axe-FX, or <...>. Pretty much any rack unit besides one manufactured by DigiTech it would appear :? .

m0jo said:
That's a good idea, and a possibility, but then again I'm guessing that would really hurt the resale value, and I'm always buying/selling/trading gear . . . :)
Yep, but Digitech ignored more norms, like sticking 90% of the ffects in one block.. creating a pretty inflexible effects system.

I tend to hold on to gear pretty long, have sold only one guitar in 14 years ;)