Quickmod GT Users

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having the same issue with a brandnew Quickmod GT.
This issue need to be mentioned in the same category where general module compatibility is announced.

Rob, when receiving such a module, you must contact your customer prior doing the mod. This gives you some safety and the customer valuable information.

Jaded Faith said:
I am not sure what the illusion of something being "JF Approved" is all about. Remember, I provide a service and do not manufacture these modules. I have seen it in 10 out of 1000 modules (#1000 will be shipping Thursday), so a straight up 1%. The catch is this: not all 2002 Rev 1 PCB's cause the issue and even if they do it's not in every amp.

Should I eat the questionable donor and just provide a brand new one? I am very big on customer service and I don't think any of those are good ideas. For the record, this module has changed hands 4 times now and it worked fine in my amps and those of the first two owners. I am providing a brand new replacement mod on a brand new donor to the FOURTH owner.

OK, Rob is making this right and I appreciate it..But really, up until recently "NOS stockers" were not readily available. Yet every time someone sends in a donor and there's talk of the modder stripping the board and reconfiguring everything and sending back a completely different and updated mod...That has always been the assumption and widely and openly discussed here...In fact, broken donors are even accepted...A used donor should be no less valuable than a new old stocker as a JF or any mod..Mine is a version just across Rob's bench a month ago. Again, I thought that to be a newer mod when I came across it in the classifieds...The "illusion" is the idea that every component is removed and reconfigured and you are getting an updated and fresh module I suppose. Unless you buy a new donor (in very limited supply and then there's this problem again) I don't know what else to say...

If this mod has been owned 4 times, it's probably more like 100 as they change hands all the time. So few of us have 1st run mods...There is resale involved in making these purchases...Very few of us have generation 1 modules and soon they won't be available anyway, then what?

I'd say: The modder shall identify a possible problem prior doing the mod and communicate about it. It might be extra work, extra costs or not fixable at all.
I am wondering why it is a QuickMod GT in my case, too. Could there be another reason? My module does work realiable in a few slots but is noisy all the time.

Matt: As stated, it's been such a small sample size and it's not something that is going to be the case all the time. A risk exist, but its small. That's why I test these modules on a number of amps here. If they even have a hint of trouble, I'll notify the customer before even taking it apart.

I still fear you are missing the point entirey. What we do is mod pre-built chassis, just like modding a Mustang. If the frame on that Mustang is defective (say too short?), is it Shelby's fault or Ford's? For every Rev 1 PCB that's problematic, there are hundreds that are fine and will work no problem. I am only aware of it because I have seen such a huge sample size and keep meticulous records of every module I touch.

Ulf: Your Quick Mod was also built on a 2002 Ultra Lead donor you sent in. It too works fine here.

oh man... :( sorry to hear about all this, Matt... If I know Rob, he's the type who will do what it takes, to make things right (& it sounds like he's doing so). I commishioned a mod awhile back, that took a little while to complete (I was in no hurry), but Rob went above & beyond, by giving me a break on the next mod. Totally unexpected, but VERY cool of him.

I did happen to see this on his site:
Please note: There are known issues with some pre-2004 modules being too short to work properly in all MTS amps. It is only an issue in about 1% of all modules. All donors sold by Jaded Faith Mods are warrantied to be newer modules without this problem. We can not assume responsibility for compatibility issues on donors we did not sell.

So, I guess it's there. To be honest, I never thought of reading through all of the FAQ... I'm sure most of us don't. :oops:

I certainly hope this pre-2004 issue doesn't scare anyone away from getting stuff modded... All of the modders do their absolute best to ensure a quality product before it goes out the door... but we're all human, & occasionally something slips through the cracks, as it's impossible to reach 100% compatibility... 99% is still VERY VERY good. The other 1% is what good customer service is for... it's built into the business model. :)

I'm sincerely glad you're getting your mod taken care of, Matt. :wink:

By the way, I "get" the resale point too... Equipment is definitely an investment... and we never know if/when we'll ever need to recoup that money, by selling that certain piece of gear. So yeah, the gear needs to be tip-top... especially when we bought it under that assumption (new OR used).

I certainly think it's amazing what Rob is doing to make this right... I don't know many other places (though, there are a few) who would go this far above & beyond. :lol:

Mattfig said:
Yet every time someone sends in a donor and there's talk of the modder stripping the board and reconfiguring everything and sending back a completely different and updated mod...That has always been the assumption

Give me a break... Yes the board is stripped and components are replace but you know perfectly well the modders are not replacing the pcb. If they were it would be manufacturing, not modding.

Your getting a new module.. now get a pad for your leaking vagina. :D

MarcoR said:
Give me a break... Yes the board is stripped and components are replace but you know perfectly well the modders are not replacing the pcb. If they were it would be manufacturing, not modding.

Hey MarcoR, I don't see where he mentions thinking the pcb is swapped..? He only mentions not knowing there's a difference in the pcb's from different years. I didn't know either. You & I both, could've easily been in Matt's shoes with an incompatible module. I think that was Matt's main point.

SALVAGED said:
MarcoR said:

Hey MarcoR, I don't see where he mentions thinking the pcb is swapped..? He only mentions not knowing there's a difference in the pcb's from different years. I didn't know either. You & I both, could've easily been in Matt's shoes with an incompatible module. I think that was Matt's main point.

I was just looking for an excuse to tell him to get a pad for his leaking vagina.

Thanks for the kind words Matt (Salvaged), I certainly try to meet and exceed customer expectations every time.

The issue I have with the entire thing is that I am under the gun for modding (a service) a module (a product) that I did not originally sell. There are two additional disclaimers in that FAQ that are probably looked over as well, both directly addressing the issues here:

- Mods are warrantied for defects in workmanship and materials for one year from the date of the mod. (Worksmanship and the parts I used to make the mod are not to blame here)

and

- Mods are warrantied to the original owner only. (Again, this is the fourth owner)

Here is the info from my site for all those who missed it:

Q: What warranty do you offer on your modules?

A: Jaded Faith Mods warrants all of our mods for a period of one year from it's build date for the original owner only. This warranty is restricted to defaults in materials and craftsmanship only. It does not cover damages determined to be caused by abuse, neglect, poor handling or "hot swapping" modules while the amp is powered on. We reserve the right to determine any and all possible causes of damage. All damages determined to be caused by any of the above will be repaired at the going hourly rate for bench time ($60 per hour). This is a non-transferable warranty and is void upon resale to a second party.

Please note: There are known issues with some pre-2004 modules being too short to work properly in all MTS amps. It is only an issue in about 1% of all modules. All donors sold by Jaded Faith Mods are warrantied to be newer modules without this problem. We can not assume responsibility for compatibility issues on donors we did not sell.

When the third owner contacted me about the issues he was having, I suggested to send it in for me to look at. Nothing was found wrong when it arrived and it worked fine in multiple amps and on the scope. I had seen a video of the module acting up that he sent, but I couldn't recreate it here. In good faith I offered to charge $50 for the update to a GT, the time I spent on it and return shipping (far less than the hourly shop rate for 3 hours of troubleshooting, re-modification plus shipping and Paypal fees lost).

I am now replacing the module with a brand new one from inventory to set this entire thing right for all parties involved and despite my posted policies. While I understand the frustrations, I have a business to run and policies in place. I am not a huge corporation with loads of employees and unlimited funds to keep giving modules away. I try to take care of my customers as much as possible and still keep a business open doing so.

I hope this is acceptable and all are happy with the outcome.

Respectfully,
Rob

Fig, if you've had your hands in your amp to update the presence board, seems to me this washer install should be a piece of cake. The modder can't be responsible for the year your amp was made or the PCB used. He is modding and testing what is given to him and if it works in the shop on 4 or 5 amps, you can hardly blame him for sending you a working product. The issue seems to be not only the year the PCB was built, but also the amp itself if the two don't meet. No biggie once you see the solution. I do see the frustration at the user end however but does this not also become an issue between you and the seller when you initially purchased the module? It's a tough one. Compatibility issue is not really an issue with the product itself.

I take my hat off to you Rob. I know of no other business on the planet that would do this sort of customer service.
Most would simply point to their FAQ pages and warranty policies and that would be the end of it with no other explanation needed.

Mattfig said:
Hey guys,

Just got one of these mods and was really excited to try it next to the Camerock...

Thanks,
Fig

They sound nothing alike. The CCV is open, not compressed and a fire-breather. The QuickMod GT is a compressed gain monster. To make the QM sound like a splawn, you've got to back waaaay off the gain, using OD1. I don't thing the two mods sound anything alike. I was going to do a video on how they compare, but they're pretty different. I almost want to say the Camerock is more like a JMP and the QM is more like a 2210.

The GT update actually took a bit of that compression out (still searing gain though), tightened it up all around (both in the signal flow and filtering) and made the EQ a bit more friendly. These are all similar revisions to the newer Splawns (a close friend is a Splawn Endorser and we had a new unit for reference) and also based on user feedback.

Maybe add a "Read Me First" FAQ to your site where known problems like this are listed.

Information about this should definitely be disseminated as much as possible, but it's important to note that it isn't specifically a problem with modified modules. Matt would have experienced the same compatibility issue if he had bought that module dead stock from its original owner.

Any person sending in a module with a serial number starting with "02" is in a no warranty, buyer beware position.

There would be a warranty, though. A modder would still guarantee the work they did and the components they added, same as with any other modification.

People sending their modules to be upgraded aren't the ones who need to be wary of this issue per se. In theory, they're sending stock modules they already own and know for a fact are compatible with their amps. The buyers who need to beware are those buying used modules, stock and modded alike. As such, there should be a sticky thread about this subject in the Classifieds section at the very least, and maybe the Amps and Modules sections too.

MarcoR said:
Mattfig said:
Yet every time someone sends in a donor and there's talk of the modder stripping the board and reconfiguring everything and sending back a completely different and updated mod...That has always been the assumption

Cute. :wink:

Thanks for the input!

They sound nothing alike. The CCV is open, not compressed and a fire-breather. The QuickMod GT is a compressed gain monster. To make the QM sound like a splawn, you've got to back waaaay off the gain, using OD1. I don't thing the two mods sound anything alike. I was going to do a video on how they compare, but they're pretty different. I almost want to say the Camerock is more like a JMP and the QM is more like a 2210.

Interesting read. Good to know. I personally love the sound of those splawns but to my ear they def. sound stiffer so you best be able to have some chops if you want to play them. I think they addressed this in more recent years making the amps a little easier and more forgiving to play.

I had a 2008 and 2010 Quickrod. The 2010 sounded a little hotter, but both of the amps were beyond stiff to play. For example, VHT/ Fryette are stiff amps, but they're easy to play once you know how to use them. Splawn's for me always felt too stiff. So when I first tried the QMGT out, it didn't seem like the splawn's I had played. I liked the feel, but didn't expect it (if that makes sense). Also to my ears, it sounds a little more like a nitro than a quickrod, or at least the ones I've played.

And another thing... The red knobs I asked for, look SICK with the black and white faceplate!

Either way I am excited to try this mod out. Rob is going above and beyond in replacing it. I understand that guys, it isn't like I come on here and bash everything all the time.

I did not know that the practice of having a donor shipped to a modder should be considered ill-advised given the board issue. I thought MTS modules of any make were ALL compatible so I was wrong. I will try every donor out at home first but that adds more shipping to the equation, especially when you buy in batches like me.

As a courtesy to other buyers in the classifieds I plan to start listing what donor version you are getting to hopefully avoid this again. There's simply a limited supply of the NOS donors so we have to solve this issue soon or it will come up occasionally time and again.