Recto module mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maximus1 said:
by changing c14 to 100 pf and r31 to 220k it has become scooped if desied( but it has a decent mid ) and the highs are less fizzy and it seems more present and focused all around, it smoked my 1086 tonight at practice for brutal heavy gain, and it was qiuet. i've also done the grail mods to it and i used 0,0015 in c3 and i like a boost outfront, by far the best recto i've ever heard :twisted:

Modded my recto today using your idea and the grail as a basis. Ended up with two 3position dpdt switches...

Switch 1: C3 as 470pf, 1470pf and 1970pf (depending on position)
Switch 2: C14 / R31 as 100pf/100k, 320pf/45k and 570pf/45k (depending on position)

The switch 1 C3 tight mods have their obvious advantages (although they're more subtle changes than I imagined them to be)

Using switch 2:
With 320pf/45k it sounds pretty stock (stock is 300pf/47k) - kinda like a midway point between the two mods below
With 100pf/100k it sounds like your scooped mod as quoted above - not dissimilar to a recto red channel
With 570pf/45k it sounds nice and rough with a good midrange growl - not dissimilar to a recto orange channel

I used Wima FKP1 caps. Absolutely huge, but they sound pretty good.

Slashrocks - PM me if you want to know exactly what I did!

Excellent!

paul525715 said:
Which DR channel/mode is the stock recto modelled on? Is it orange (normal or modern) or red (normal or vintage)?

I did a direct comparison with a Triple Rec- to me it was clearly Red normal

thats cool paul, you saved me a few bucks :wink: . what did you prefer best as opposed to stock? i'm pretty happy with the scooped mod but i like the idea of 100k instead of 220. did you swap your r1-r3? sounds a little more clear with 150's and since i use the boost outfront the tiny bit of gain loss is alright. cool man i like these kind of threads 8)

maximus1 said:
what did you prefer best as opposed to stock?

Different sounds, different jobs! It's all good.

maximus1 said:
did you swap your r1-r3?

Mine came stock with 150's

maximus1 said:
the tiny bit of gain loss is alright

The scooped is quieter than the other two "modes". It doesn't bother me... it's not like I can switch mid song, is it?

yeah its not as loud after the scooped mod but its not quiet like my modern, the recto stock is probably the loudest module there is. its volume is even with my 1086 which i like to switch back and forth with so it works out nicely. i would like to have the switches good idea 8)

Stock cap is a ceramic IIRC.

Silver Micas are meant to be good but my local electronics shop didn't have them.

I used Wima FKP1's for the C14 mod and for the C3 mod, and they're absolutely huge (470pf is approx 18mm x 12mm x 6mm and 1n5 are approx 26.5mm x 15mm x 6mm). They can't be board mounted!

To do Maximus' scooped mod? Yes.

When you try it for the first time, set the gain and the level to about 2 o'clock. That's where it sounds really good.

Don't forget to change R31 too, and Maximus' mod is based on the Grail settings, with C3 reduced to between 470pf and 1n5 and R31 between 100K (what I did) and 220K (what Maximus did). With R31 at 220K you'll get even more scoop. I've got C3 as 470pf and R31 as 100K and to my ears, it sounds great, but you will need to crank it a bit more. It's a bit lifeless with the level below 12 o'clock. With gain and level at about 2 o'clock it kills.

If you play in a band, be careful with too much 'scoop' - because mids is where your guitar really lives in the mix. I've seen bands scoop the heck out of their mids live and it sounds like a cross between a fart and a bee hive.

If it's NOT in a band mix though, scooped mids usually sounds pretty cool. :)

Pete

+1 on what pete said, i did 100pf and 100k and that was alot scoopier than 220k and 100pf, seems weird :shock: , i'll have to try 470pf and 100k next. they seem to work together alot more than i thought(r31 , c14)

Yes I play in Band.
I,m still seraching for "the tone" on my Recto module. I tried the Grail mod(C3;R1-R3), but didn't like it, so changed back to stock, except for C3 which is now 1nF. I'm not happy with the mids, so I will try Paul's mod (100pF 100k) or something similar.

The Ultra (C3-1nF) is my main rhytm module and I like it. Maybe a little to scooped. Anyone tried to mod it to ultra-xl?

maximus1 said:
+1 on what pete said, i did 100pf and 100k and that was alot scoopier than 220k and 100pf, seems weird :shock: , i'll have to try 470pf and 100k next. they seem to work together alot more than i thought(r31 , c14)

Strange... I tried your mod first (220K) and it was definitely more scooped than my 100K mod.

By upping R31 you should be lowering the mid and bass gain. I.E. 100K should give you more mid gain than 220K. That's why I used 100K, not 220K. But I'm guessing you knew that! (Hence why you said it was "weird").

Please don't take offence if you know all this already!

As you probably know...

Changing C14 will shift the "shelf" from left to right.

A 470pf will have a lower cutoff than 100pf

Changing R31 will increase or decrease the gain of the mids/bass

100K will have more mid/bass gain than 220K

Using Duncans tone stack sim shows it really clearly.

yeah i know, maybe my recto has something else different somewhere cause it was definetly more scooped with 100pf and 100k, and when i put the 220 in it the mids came back up. i used the bigger 1/2 watt resistor would that matter, cause the stock was alot smaller. the c14 100pf i used is a ceramic too. its a blackstripe recto that i started with. i'm gonna try a 47 k which is ay the other way but with the 100pf in c14 it might be a little scooped still.

maximus1 said:
yeah i know, maybe my recto has something else different somewhere cause it was definetly more scooped with 100pf and 100k, and when i put the 220 in it the mids came back up. i used the bigger 1/2 watt resistor would that matter, cause the stock was alot smaller. the c14 100pf i used is a ceramic too. its a blackstripe recto that i started with. i'm gonna try a 47 k which is ay the other way but with the 100pf in c14 it might be a little scooped still.

Possible the stock resistor or some other component was (heat)damaged?

maximus1 said:
i used the bigger 1/2 watt resistor would that matter.

No

maximus1 said:
the c14 100pf i used is a ceramic too.

Might sound subtely different but not big time.

maximus1 said:
its a blackstripe recto that i started with.

Mine was a black stripe rectified

I know I'm being over simplistic here but are you sure you picked up up the right resistor? (Hey... the simplest mistakes are the easiest to make)...

220K = red red yellow
100K = brown black yellow

Good luck solving the conundrum!

I wish I could record what's coming out of my amp but I don't have a Randall cab with the DI circuit and using the only mic I've got (a cheap Shure one) you can't really hear any difference. Sorry!

okstrat said:
I've seen bands scoop the heck out of their mids live and it sounds like a cross between a fart and a bee hive.

That's the tone I've been searching for all my life.