RM 100 & G System

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampoholic

Reaction score
Anyone using RM 100 with a G System? I got one to try out. Hooked it up 4CM and I'm getting a significant loss of volume throught the serial loop. Anyone have this issue? I did follow Laird's White Paper; using balanced cables, but didn't buy an iso box.

Any ideas?

There's one downside to 4cm connection

Balancing levels is a major PITA

It helps if you can record it or have some kind of output indicator
in a worst case scenario go straight into a recorder/indicator from the preamp/G-system's outs,
it may sound like crap, but it gets results
Any old tapedeck with VU meters could do the job, even without tape

-It goes without saying that you make a patch in the G-system with the loop enabled,
where you already select where the preamp is gonna be in the signalchain
and which FX are gonna be pre-or post preamp-

First up, Post-Preamp Signal
-Plug your guitar into you amp without any other devices with the levels set at the desired volume
Listen to/look at the levels

Next
Keep your guitar into the preamp input
Plug the preamp out into the G system loop return
Plug the G-system outs into the RM100's serial return (or recorder/indicator)

keep all FX off and adjust G-system's loop return level if needed
(Or RM's Preamp signal if it's too hot going in)
Listen/Look/Compare

Then
Switch all Post-preamp FX on/off one at a time (or use a bypass function), but keep the FX at 0% wet,
so your FX are passing thru an unaffected signal
Listen/look/Compare per FX-block

Adjust any differences

Post FX could become a lot easier if you use only the parallel (100% wet, 0% Dry) loop/FX
but once you want to use post-EQ/Compression/Flanger/Etc,
You're again wrestling with levels
It's much easier afterwards only having to adjust Dry signal to zero when using parallel
and this way, you can always swap FX blocks in the signalchain around the preamp without any problems

So when this is done you can keep the G system in the serial loop
(since those levels wil now be 'calibrated')

Next up
Pre-Preamp Signal

Plug into the G-system, put the Preamp in the G-system Loop
Listen/Look/Compare
Then repeat what you did with the post loop -exception being you first have to adjust (if needed) the G-system's Loop-Send level-
Switch all Post-preamp FX on/off one at a time (or use a bypass function), but keep the FX at 0% wet
Listen/look/Compare per FX-block

Adjust any differences

Save patches between adjusting respectively under name "Unity Gain"
Save it to the last available presets on the G-system and -if possible- make a midi dump from it
(or write the settings down)

this way you'll always have a blank slate to start from

-

Don't know if this helps, or if I'm even close to giving you a correct way of doing things, had to type it all by memory and there's been a lot of time and beer since I had to set up my Lexicon G2

Surely there are people around who can simplify, correct or dismiss any suggestions I've made here if needed

Thanks! Wow, that's a lot! But, it looks more or less what I've done. The G System has some of that setup and locked through global commands. Still getting a lot of volume cut through the serial loop. Actually plugged into the other output (not marked "mono") & had a volume boost from the G. Right now I'm running there and have cut the level of it to unity(?). Ordered an line level shifter and a hum canceller and will try those.

Thanks again!

You shouldn't need a line level shifter when using the G-system
it has a seperate "preamp" (insert?) loop
which should work as High-Z send/Line-level return, whereas pedal loops should be High-Z/High-Z

I'm also surprised there isn't some kind of noisegate already built in
(something I don't even need in my MPX G2/RM4/RT2/50 setup)

Personally, I think using the mono setup of the G-system should work
(perhaps you're using one of the Hi-Z pedal loops?)
plus that using stereo out may give problems with stereo fx

FYI I don't nor ever have own(ed) a G-system, just some basic principles from 4cm methods and browsing through the TC manual

Nightdare said:

You do in fact need a line level shifter with the G-System with the MTS and MOD series amps. Even when using loop 4 of the G. You can get away without it but the results are not the same.

The critical step is getting the back end of the G working in the amp loop before you start worrying about the front end of the G w/4CM.

MarcoR said:
Nightdare said:

You do in fact need a line level shifter with the G-System with the MTS and MOD series amps. Even when using loop 4 of the G. You can get away without it but the results are not the same.

Well, guess that throws a G-system out of my GAS
"Hey let's make a $$$ fx unit, with a preamp loop especially for a preamp, but skip getting a good signal from it" :roll:

Nightdare said:
MarcoR said:
Nightdare said:

Well, guess that throws a G-system out of my GAS
"Hey let's make a $$$ fx unit, with a preamp loop especially for a preamp, but skip getting a good signal from it" :roll:

It's one of the reasons I got rid of mine but it really is a fantastic all in one solution I just preferred my other pedals over the G effects.

As far as the line level shifter, the Ebtech is ok but there was some tone loss. The Egnater loop gadget works much better or the GLAB loop adapter would be another good choice.

Good to know about the Egnater Loop thing, I forgot about it. If the Ebtech thing don't work, I'll see if I can still get one.

Yeah, the G is a bit of a PITA to get set up right, but I'm hopeful it's all worth the effort. I'm digging the effects I've checked out so far. And you can't beat the convience. What was taking 3 button presses is now done in one. The computer interface makes tweaking all the settings (and there are a LOT) much easier. And the wah doesn't even need a button press, like an optical wah, it comes on when the EP is moved.

Wow! I have been saving up for a g system to go with my rm 100 sounds like does not work Well with randalls I don't know! I might look into something else I have rp1000 but no midi but the g system seemed like a great unit maybe have to try it with a diffetent amp?