RM100 combining tubes and 50 Watt ????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newAgePunk

Reaction score
First off I am sorry if this info is buried in these forums somewhere but I have been searching all the terms I can think of to find it .. without luck.

I want to know what the deal is with mixing tubes in the RM100. So running 2 x 6l6 and 2 x el34 etc...

Which sockets do the pairs work together in?

I have also read that you can effectively run it as a 50Watt amp if you remove 2 tube fuses to disable that tube. If this is true, is it safe ( I would just use it for home bedroom jamming) and also which ones should I pull out. I saw info on a schematic for the RM100 but I cannot make sense of that.

Cheers

newAgePunk said:
First off I am sorry if this info is buried in these forums somewhere but I have been searching all the terms I can think of to find it .. without luck.

I want to know what the deal is with mixing tubes in the RM100. So running 2 x 6l6 and 2 x el34 etc...

Which sockets do the pairs work together in?

I have also read that you can effectively run it as a 50Watt amp if you remove 2 tube fuses to disable that tube. If this is true, is it safe ( I would just use it for home bedroom jamming) and also which ones should I pull out. I saw info on a schematic for the RM100 but I cannot make sense of that.

Cheers

The tubes run as inside pair and outside pair. I've tried many combos, but I've never tried to run it as a 50W amp. Maybe somebody here has. I would assume, like other 100W amps, pull the outside tubes to run at 50W.

You can pull either the inner or the outer pair (most of the time people recommend the outer pair, so the heat gets spread out a little better). I ran my RM100 this way for quite a while. Honestly, though, it isn't that much quieter. You'd be better off loading it with JJ 6V6s.

Similarly, if you're going to run two pairs of dissimilar tubes (e.g. 6L6/EL34), one type occupies the inner pair, and the other type goes in the outer. Lots of people like to run their RM100s that way, though I've never tried.

The two inside tubes are a pair as well as the two outside tubes. You're talking a minimal difference is decibel level by dropping it to 50 watts, but when I do this, I usually just pull the two outside tubes and call it a day

I ran that set up in the 100 I had. EHX6L6s inside JJsEL34s on outside. Great match. Best of both world IMO. Egnater doesnt recommend running just with 2 tubes as it makes everything run hotter(I believe). Have fun!

Also, when running just 2 tubes in a 100 watt amp you nerd to cut the impedance in half for your speakers. 16 ohm speaker running 50 watts you want the amp to run at 8 ohms

Thanks for the feedback guys, and nice tip on the impedance Rod.

As a couple of you stated, regarding the 50 Watt side of things .. makes very little difference to DB level, well at a low volume test anyway.

I think I will order some 6L6's and try the split config, although I'll probably just get four 6L6's anyway.

Cheers