RM100 & GT-8 midi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal archer

Reaction score
I stuck with my GT-8 after trying some pedals and asking around on the forum for fx advice. The GT-8 originally gave me the impression that is was sucking some tone but then after giving some more time I think it is transparent enough for me not to spend any more cash. I appreciate all the input from those who responded. My main problem is I can't figure out how to change channels on the amp using the GT-8. I have used midi before with no real problems but I can't figure this out. I tried midi channel 1 and 16 as suggested by some and still no results. Maybe someone with my setup might be able to give me some insight on how to set this up. GT-8 settings etc. Any help would be appreciated.

I have your exact setup, GT8 with Rm100. Sadly I also have the same problem :roll: I tried switching channels with it once and then gave up. So if you find out how to do it please post it.

BTW, are you using the 4cm with the gt8? and what modules do you have?

I really don't understand why it is so difficult to get this setup to work. I don't know where to begin...amp or GT-8. Finding the right midi channel should solve everything but of course that would make life too easy. The problem has to rest with the GT-8 midi setup. I will try the BOSSGTCentral website for some more help if nobody can help us here. I have the Blackface, SL+ & XTC modules. I tried running the 4cm method and felt the tone was altered too much. I really don't notice much tone loss if any with the GT-8 in the series FX loop, so I stuck with that. I don't mind getting a dedicated wah pedal & or od pedal for boosting and running it directly into the front for the sacrifice of not using the 4cm. I'll keep you posted if I make any progress with the midi situation.
Joe

Have you set your RM100 to a MIDI channel via the internal jumper switches? You can get configuration info for that here: http://randallamplifiers.com/about/warranty/manuals/RM100%20MIDI%20guide.pdf

After you do, then all you should have to do is go into the System menu on the GT8 and set the TX Channel to whatever you set those jumpers to on the RM100. There's also a parm called PC Out that you may or may not want to set to Yes depending on if you want the RM100 to change channels when you change a patch on the GT8.

I printed the sheet out but I am not sure what to do with the info. What is the difference between a control change and program change? Do I have to go inside the amp and change any dip switch. I would like the amp to switch channels along with a patch change.

mwc2112 said:
Have you set your RM100 to a MIDI channel via the internal jumper switches? You can get configuration info for that here: http://randallamplifiers.com/about/warranty/manuals/RM100%20MIDI%20guide.pdf

After you do, then all you should have to do is go into the System menu on the GT8 and set the TX Channel to whatever you set those jumpers to on the RM100. There's also a parm called PC Out that you may or may not want to set to Yes depending on if you want the RM100 to change channels when you change a patch on the GT8.

Thanks BTW arent you from the boss forums on gtcentral??? I'm almost positive you are :D

I need help with this, too!!! What did you find out? I have an RM100 Head and a GTPro. Right now I'm just trying to get the footswitch to work, I'll deal with going through the GTPro later. I have the thing opened up, and there's 2 sets of switches inside the board that the midi cables latch into. One set of 4 (I'm assuming these are the DIP switches mentioned in the link) and another set of 2. Does anyone know what these do? I've tried some **** at random, but nothing works. What's going on?

Where is the midi board inside the RM100? how do I find it? do I have to unscrew the whole back pannel? Could someone please explain how to locate the midi board.

Remove the 6(?) screws from the bottom of the head, the grill (in front, that says "Randall" and the metal bar that goes across the back. Slide the chassis (metal part with your tubes and transformers and whatnot coming out the top) out of the wood frame. You can get to the 4 switches without removing the board, just look behind where the midi cable goes in. Or, if you want, remove the 2 screws on either side of the midi jacks and you can pull the board out for easier access.

How do I hook up the gt8 to the amp head, the gt8 uses normal midi plugs which are 5 (I think) pin connectors and the amp head jacks have way more prongs on its midi input and thru jacks. Also what midi channel is the RM100 set to by default?

If I can somehow hook it up even tho they use two different types of midi jacks then it takes away the need for the midi pedal supplied right? or are people using the default midi pedal supplied with the rm100 to switch the gt8 and amp head?

Sorry for the noob questions, I've used midi before but the RM100 seems unusual.

! more thing, since its possible to change midi channels on the gt8 then shouldnt one of those work? the RM100 has to be set to one of them by default right? which would save pulling the thing apart.

i just went through trying to get my ground control to work and finally found that my RM100 was set to midi ch 9. maybe that will help

Any 5 or 7 pin midi cable should work. Just connect the out to the in and make sure the GT8 is transmitting on the same channel the RM100 is receiving - start with 16.

It is pretty simple to get the two to work together :roll: . Your RM100 should be set to channel 1 or 16 from the warehouse. Set the GT-8 to TX on either channel, and then turn MIDI PC OUT to "ON" in the GT-8. This is all expalined on page 80 of the GT-8 manual. Next you will have to change MIDI "Map Select" to "Prog" in the GT-8. This is on page 83. Finallyuse the MIDI Program Map to adjust the right patch number to the correct PC# which is the channel that the RM100 will switch to. It's actually not that complicated, it's just changing the MIDI Map that takes time. If anyone still needs help, please send me a PM w/ your email and question and I will get back to you ASAP. I use the GT-8 pretty extensivly in my setup so I should be able to help you guys out.

Thanks,
Rich

Hey Rich, if you or anyone else uses a GT8 in the loop of an RM series amp or the 4CM method, get the Ebtech 2-Channel Line Level Shifter. Makes a HUGE difference in the tone and works much better than without it. Many thanks to 3milestone from this forum, read about this gizmo from one of his posts and it works great!

Pete

Interesting... I assume that this helps to reduce the amount of "tone suck" from the GT8?

I really really wanted the GT8 (and GT6) to work in past rigs but couldn't get past the impact it had on tone & feel. After spending a lot of time tweaking levels and getting an Axess buffer, it improved a bit, but I'm wondering if the EbTech box is the missing link. (FWIW, I'm already a big advocate of the EbTech hum eliminator, which is a godsend for guitar rig/PA setups with 60 cycle hum issues and not enough ground lift switches to go around).

Never had any problems getting the GT6/GT8's to switch channels on the RM4/RM100, though I grew up in the world of MIDI so I know how to troubleshoot when necessary... doesn't seem like it should be that difficult, tho. Biggest challenge I had... my RM4 shipped from the factory on MIDI channel 1 while the RM100C shipped on channel 16--once I figured that out... no issues. Raises an interesting question, though... as part of the final QA on MTS amps, how hard would it be to have them all set to a default channel (e.g., 1) and have that reflected in the documentation? Let's face it... this is a major stumbling point for MIDI newbs and it's still a major pain for experienced MIDI-ites to have to take an amp apart to change the DIP switches.

--B