RM100 w/ 1u Rack mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
I've always hated the idea of carrying around a rack AND a head, so after seeing somebody else do this same thing on here, I decided to replace the faceplate of my RM100 with room in it to mount a 1U rack piece.

I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum which is thick enough to support the weight of a mounted piece of rack gear. The size of the faceplate is roughly 27 1/2" x 6 5/8".

I had my Carvin Tone Navigator laying here while I was cutting it all and fitting things, so that's what I stuck in there just for a test fit and such.
It's AWESOME!! I've since put my Rocktron Xpression in there until my second Digitech GSP1101 arrives, which has proven to be the best rack effects/preamp I've tried to date.

Yes; I noticed that the logo is not exactly straight...my mistake...

Anyways; I snapped a quick photo while the Carvin was in there, so check this out.

This is a cool deal, looks sweat!

Still waiting for that extensive review of the Digitech. Real curious about the pedal models as I am assuming they got the time based stuff correct.

Sorry about that with the review of the GSP1101, I could go on and on for days as to how cool it is, but in the end, just get it, you'll love it.
I've been doing some fill-in work for another band, then working on getting several other band projects off the ground, working full time and still being a husband and daddy...so yeah; writing out a long review and hooking that thing up several different ways hasn't been in the cards.

I'll tell ya this though if this is any indication of the coolness of the GSP1101, for my fill-in gig; I'm using a four space rack. It's laid out like this:
Digital Reference Wireless -> Korg DTR1000 Tuner -> GSP1101 -> Mesa 20/20 -> Mesa 2x12.
Period.
I have every tone and effect I could ever need at my disposal, including a killer wah and whammy, all controlled via FCB1010.
The GSP1101 is also my main unit for effects with my Egnater rig and I'll also be using one in my RM100.

Cool dude, I understand about time ... where the heck does it all go these days huh? Anyway, I am buying one as soon as I can lay my hands on $500. Gotta sell some stuff!

I hear that,

as soon as I sell some of my other gear I'm going the digitech as well !

Also with the 1RU cutout, is there any reason you put it to the left ??

I have seen another one here somewhere, he did it with checkerplate
and mounted it in the middle

Well, I kinda thought that there might be enough room to mount a wireless on the other side, but there wasn't...then I thought that maybe I could put a small tray on the back in that space and mount my Axess BS-2 buffer...
...I also thought that having one side of the rack unit close to the edge of where the plate mounts might make it more 'stable', but the 1/8" aluminum is sturdy and could have held it at any location.
...another good reason is that the loop outputs are on the right side of the rear of the head, allowing for very short cables between the rack unit and the FX loop, so that's a bonus.

I was going to use the diamond plate to do mine, but when the option of aluminum came up, it was a far better choice because it's very light in comparison... Then again, I do have a big roll of diamond plate vinyl...I could cover it in that I suppose... Nah, I'm kinda digging the whole blackout thing, it goes well with the black Randall faceplates.
:)

sir riff a lot said:
I hear that,

as soon as I sell some of my other gear I'm going the digitech as well !

Also with the 1RU cutout, is there any reason you put it to the left ??

I have seen another one here somewhere, he did it with checkerplate
and mounted it in the middle

Hi Jim,

I'm interested in gsp1101 too. How is your setup with Egnater M4?
Do you use it in loop? Run in series? Guitar to gsp first?

Any tone coloration?

At the moment I'm using t.c.electronic G-major, but this GSP1101 is looking good.

Jrm4 said:
How is your setup with Egnater M4?
Do you use it in loop? Run in series? Guitar to gsp first?

The beauty of the GSP1101 is that you can split up the unit to put your amp/preamp in between pre and post effects, but I found that when you configure it with the preamp in the loop, it takes away some of the effects that are at your disposal, so the way I am running mine is directly into the GSP1101, then into my M4, that way I can still disable the GSP1101 preamp section and still have the midi cc Wah and Whammy effects (as well as the distortion pedal modules if needed...)

Jrm4 said:
Any tone coloration?

Nope. Well, I'm sure somebody will say that everything colors your tone, but whatever... The TC Electronics stuff was really bad at coloring I thought. The G-Major, even the G-Force and G-System...

Jrm4 said:
At the moment I'm using t.c.electronic G-major, but this GSP1101 is looking good.

If I was given the choice to pick any processor and they were all the same price, after using all the TC stuff, several Rocktron pieces, and many others along the way, I'd still pick the GSP1101 over them all.

The beauty of the GSP1101 is that you can split up the unit to put your amp/preamp in between pre and post effects, but I found that when you configure it with the preamp in the loop, it takes away some of the effects that are at your disposal, so the way I am running mine is directly into the GSP1101, then into my M4, that way I can still disable the GSP1101 preamp section and still have the midi cc Wah and Whammy effects (as well as the distortion pedal modules if needed...)

- Hi thanks for the answer, slight GAS now here for the GSP.
You say it takes away some of the effects if you run M4 it between pre / post effects. Can you say which effects?

Jrm4 said:

- Hi thanks for the answer, slight GAS now here for the GSP.
You say it takes away some of the effects if you run M4 it between pre / post effects. Can you say which effects?

If my memory is accurate; it takes away the midi controllable Wah, Whammy and distortion pedal effects.
I *MIGHT* be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way I remember it.

Very cool. has anyone tried this with an Egnater MOD50 head? We looked at it a while ago and it looked feasible. Haven't tried it yet.
No hum problems? Having the effects gadget right next to the really big power transformer would be a definite hum concern.

egnater

Sorry about the thread resurrection but I have to ask. Does anyone know if mounting an effects processor like this would work with a Lynch Box? Is there enough room? I really like this idea.

Jimsoity, after a year or so of having it like this how did it hold up?

Oh yeah, everyone wave to the newb. :D

I'll soon be the proud owner of a Lynch Box head and cabinet.

I've had a g-major in mine since the original post and never had any issues.
I'm guessing the Lynch Box would work the same as long as you have the right material for a faceplate...I'm guessing they are the same size and layout as an RM100...

Great idea, I love stuff like this! Kinda reminds me of the old Groove Tube amps from the '80s that had a slot for a rack processor. I wish all amps had this option!