RM20B sounds too dark...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Some might not see this is a problem but I have to radically alter the EQ of modules shifting from my RM50HB to my RM20B....it's almost impossible to get any sizzle out of the high gain modules....not at all what I expected given the greenback in there.

This is with all my modules..even the lower gain Plexi, which can get downright harsh if you crank it in the RM50HB

I have the EL84s set to 20mv

Density is set low (9o'clock or below)..presence is set high (3o'clock)

Do I need new power tubes?

Anyone can offer advice?

JKD,

I had this annoying sizzle from my high gain modules, with Ruby 6L6 and Ruby EL34 tubes in my RT2/50 . I switched to Tong Sol 5881's and that sizzle is gone, I'm happy because I don't really want that in my particular tone.I suggest you look at your power tubes, maybe you need a different type of tube for the new head to get that Boogie type HF sizzle. ( bees,LOL)

Howard

seeker said:
JKD,

I had this anoying sizzle from my high gain modules, with Ruby 6L6 and Ruby EL34 tubes in my RT2/50 . I switched to Tong Sol 5881's and that sizzle is gone, I'm happy because I don't really want that in my particular tone.I suggest you look at your power tubes, maybe you need a different type of tube for the new head to get that Boogie type HF sizzle. ( bees,LOL)

Howard

The RM20B has EL84s...no option for 6L6/EL34 ;)

It's hard to explain...the sound is just too dark.

JKD,

Oh, I know, there are various types of EL84's . Maybe you can check Tube Depot, or Dougs Tubes to see if there is a brighter tube. Here's a link to a few reviews - http://www.tubedepot.com/el84reviews.html

Howard

Makes me wonder what the plate voltage is in the RM20B...a lot of EL84 based amps seem to be biased higher than 20mA :-/