rm22: anybody done channel switching from a

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
..Tc Electronics Gmajor system (the footswitch with like 15 buttons on it)???

I love my rm22 but would like to change channels via midi somehow.

Any input/experince appreciatted.

GtrGeorge

I am still perplexed by this....

has anybody figured a way to do this?? Can it be done with a Gmajor2??????
Cmon somebody help me out...Ive helped some of you out so please return the favor...

GtrGeorge

The midi switching should work with the G-Major 2. I use a G-Major 2 with my RM4 and everything switches together. I run midi cable from a midi footswitch to the midi in on my rm4. then a short midi cable from the rm4 midi thru to the G-Major 2 midi in. All 3 midi devices need to be omni or on the same midi channel to sync up. Pick the G-Major preset you want to sync with the rm22. Use the channel select button on the rm22 to switch to the module you want. Then press and hold the rm22 channel select switch for 2 seconds. I've done it with my RM100C as well. Should work.

wow..Guitarzan..I would never have thought of that!!!

Ive never even heard of that. I own a rm4,also and i love its midi...but the rm22 has no midi so I thought I was up a tree.
I will have to try this,
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GtrGeorge

****, I thought the RM22 had midi. The G-Major does have a footswitch out jack that you can probably do channel switching with. Hit the mod button on the G-major and mess with the relay open/close. That might work.

oh...
yeah thats the thing, ..wish they had put midi in the rm22!!!

I will try the other way,we'll see.

GtrGeorge

Hey, it looks to me like you would have to have a custom cord made, but you'd need to know the pinout. Something like a 7-pin connector at the amp end that splits to 2 x TRS at the controller end or at least something along those lines. I'm certainly no electronics engineer but I don't think it would be too tough once you knew the function of each pin...hope this makes sense. Good luck man!

-Morgan

I am trying to find a way..
the bi-otch is.....If I cant channel switch easily on this amp, I am not sure I can use the amp live.....which would suck.

I am trying to have a simpler set-up (that sounds MTS-Good) out live. And that REQUIREWS I get this channelswitching issue behind me.

GtrGeorge

Why not just use the footswitch that came with the rm22? I use mine and it works great. I even use the boosts to give me a little volume boost for solos. Though I think one boost switch would have been plenty - no need to boost a channel you're not using?

The switch that came with it works well...but if I use it I now have 3 footswitches at my feet and 3 groups of cable and....well WTF????

Can't this be done quicker,faster and better? Its a PIA!!

I play professionally and the faster I can get in and out MATTERS. The less to lose break and get stepped on also matters.
So I need an all in one solution, so in the end what I will have is light versatile and sets up in a flash.

GtrGeorge

wyd,
I never use the boodt switches...I dont dig the tones. Close but close wrong. I just wanted boost..not HAIR!!

anyway, another reason to just not use the footswitch..I dont use 2 of the 3 buttons!

GtrGeorge

It would be nice if the boosts were more usable. I was going to approach Rob about seeing if anything could be done to brighten the boost on the rm22, or just make it a clean volume boost.

GtrGeorge! said:
wyd,
I never use the boodt switches...I dont dig the tones. Close but close wrong. I just wanted boost..not HAIR!!

anyway, another reason to just not use the footswitch..I dont use 2 of the 3 buttons!

GtrGeorge

There is another thread on here that shows the gut shot of the RM22 footswitch. If you are not scared, take it apart and unsolder one of the leads going to the actual switch. Then put an ohm meter across it as you operate it and tell me if it's a latching or momentary switch. If it's latching, I can tell you what to do to at least keep the footswitch by your Gmajor2 and remotely change channels.

wyd, just read your kindly offer...
thank you muchly but I don't think its gonna result in less tap dancing. I really want a single midi floorboard to hande all the switching.

GtrGeorge

Maybe you've looked into it already but if not, I thought CAE had a midi board that could also send Program changes to switch amp channels on amps without midi.

I didnt know about the CAE box..will look into it...THANK YOU!!

GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
wyd, just read your kindly offer...
thank you muchly but I don't think its gonna result in less tap dancing. I really want a single midi floorboard to hande all the switching.

GtrGeorge

On the Gmajor 2, there are switched outs that are controlled by relays just for this purpose. If you look at the manual here

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/G_Major_II_US_rev2.pdf

and scroll down to page 24, you will see what I am talking about. If the channel changing switch in your Amp's footswitch is a latching type, (meaning it stays on or off to determine which channel) you would be able to control it from the Gmajor 2 through that jack. All you would need to do is drill one hole for a 1/4 mono bypass jack in the footswitch and wire it in. The amp footswitch can now remain in a rack drawer or on the floor behind the rack. Whenever you program a patch to control via midi, just make sure to add the correct setting for the relay into your program and it will switch channels on the amp for you. With the cable unplugged, the footswitch would operate normally.