RM50 combo speaker change?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryMcT

Reaction score
My RM50 combo sounds a lot more scooped eq-wise than I would like with the stock G12T-75. Has anyone successfully swapped it out for something else to get more midrange?

Good question. I like to know too, since I'm having the same issues with my
RM50 combo. I really like the mids on the V30s in my MTS 2X12, so I'm leaning towards something like that. Eminence are selling the Super V speaker that's in the LB cabs? That was another option i'm looking at too.

if it's midrange your looking for, the v30 will definately get you there. keep in mind to let the speaker "break in" for a period of time. they warm up after some use.

you can purchase them directly from the Randall website in the accessories section:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/accessories/accessoryparts.asp

Do 8-ohm or 16-ohm V30's sound different from each other?

Thanks!
Gary

Usually you just need to get a few hours of playing into them at a relatively loud volume does the trick. Playing at bedroom volumes won?t do the trick here, you?ll have to really push some air before things get sounding really good. I know that Avatar do there?s for 15 hours, but the flip side of that is RD/Steve just received some from them and he says they probably need a few more hours of playing.

RD/Rich said:
Usually you just need to get a few hours of playing into them at a relatively loud volume does the trick. Playing at bedroom volumes won?t do the trick here, you?ll have to really push some air before things get sounding really good. I know that Avatar do there?s for 15 hours, but the flip side of that is RD/Steve just received some from them and he says they probably need a few more hours of playing.

That sounds about right. I made a home-brew 1x12 cab with a greenback in it and it didn't take too long at all for it to lose the harshness.

I have a V30 ext cab I run with my RM50 combo and it sounds very nice.

SpooN said:
I have a V30 ext cab I run with my RM50 combo and it sounds very nice.

Sweet. Do you think it's definitely the speaker that is causing the scoopy-ness and not the "cab"?

I'm contemplating a Celestion Gold since I mostly use the combo for the Blackface and TopBoost modules. Would that have more mids than the stock G12T-75 in there?

75's have alot of high and alot of bass...whereas v30's have alot of midrange. that is the exact reason why the "X" cabinet are so popular because you essentially get the best of both worlds.

i have heard nothing but great things about the celetion gold. most of the guys run them with a v30 as well.

just make sure to break them babies in. my new h30's need a good couple of hours of heavy cranking on them to warm them up. they sound a little "stiff/bitey" for me. once broken in though...there's nothing better for my needs than an h30.

Egnater and many pros use the Celestion Classic Lead 80 in a one twelve cab, esecially open back. This is because it is desirable to have a speaker with more low end since you only have one and sometimes open back can blead some chunk off the bottom. Warehouse makes the 80 clone and you can get them on eBay CHEAP!

I swapped the G12T in my RM50 for a Classic Lead 80... I love it. Definitely rounds the sound out (more bass, more mids, less brittle).

I'm also a big V30 fan... main reason I went with the CL80 is because I do a lot of clean (jazz) work on my RM50 and the CL80 is described as the "cleanest" sounding speaker in the Celestion line. But it sounds killer with distortion (particularly the COD and SL2) as well.

--B

bduersch said:
I swapped the G12T in my RM50 for a Classic Lead 80... I love it. Definitely rounds the sound out (more bass, more mids, less brittle).

I'm also a big V30 fan... main reason I went with the CL80 is because I do a lot of clean (jazz) work on my RM50 and the CL80 is described as the "cleanest" sounding speaker in the Celestion line. But it sounds killer with distortion (particularly the COD and SL2) as well.

--B

Oooh, the classic lead 80 sounds tempting.

I use my RM50 combo in two situations now:

1) At home, it's one side of a stereo setup where it is responsible for topboost and blackface tones and the other side is a closed greenback 1x12 with a rm100 head with SL+ and Deluxe. In this situation, the stock speaker sounds great since it handles the lows and highs well, and the dirtier side does midrange just fine with the greenback. If I were only using it in this situation, I wouldn't change a thing.
2) Going out to jams, etc. I like to take just the RM50 combo with a couple modules. In this situation, it's too scooped.

I wonder if fixing #2 will mess up #1 too much?

I use a RM4 into an Atomic 2x12 50 watt. I recently pulled the stock Eminence speakers (they broke up poorly at high volumes) and replaced them with Celestion Century Vintage 12's and couldn't be happier. My amp is 12 pounds lighter and the tone is like a more accurate V30 with a smoother midrange.

i've heard alot of good things about eminence wizards. anyone using them. they say they are pretty close to a heritage v30 and sound great when combined with other speakers.

In comparison to the V30, the TONKER (Eminence) has more fuller low-mids, seems to have a bigger low end, & smoother but more extended highs. Doesnt CUT as well as V30's, but is smoother & IMO great for leads.

I prefer the Tonkers & V30's working together, works out very nice for me. 8)

I have a RM50B combo as well. I swapped out the T75 with a V30 because it had too much lumpy bottom end in my practice space that I couldn't EQ out. There is still a lot of bottom in it now (I turn the bass down to about 9 o'clock) but it much more manageable. Also, I noticed the V30 has a much much bigger magnet on it and seems to weigh twice as much as the T75. Since magnets are expensive and the retail prices are similar I think the V30 is a more expensive speaker. Just a hypothesis.

It doesn't completely change the sound though.