RM50 Effects Loop

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Just bought one of these and was stoked until I found out that these apparently don't like pedals? Here is my FX chain: send>Gstring>Ditto>MXR EQ>TC Flashback>return

The Decimator is the pedal version.

Anyone see any issues? I just bought the amp new so I can take it back and just use my Fortin Diavlo!

Great amp, crap effects loop. That's no secret though, Jaded Faith has a pedal called the STEP which addresses this issue and corrects levels so that your pedals work. That's the quick solution... the loop on it's own though, total ****.

Pat6969 said:
Just bought one of these and was stoked until I found out that these apparently don't like pedals? Here is my FX chain: send>Gstring>Ditto>MXR EQ>TC Flashback>return

Anyone see any issues? I just bought the amp new so I can take it back and just use my Fortin Diavlo!

You need to check and see if any of those pedals cannot handle line level... The Rm50 does not have a send/return level knob or switch so it certainly is designed for line level only and will only work well with higher end pedals with enough headroom and rack effects.

The JF step pedal does the job that is missing, lowering the effects send to instrument level and recovering the level back before the return.

Pat6969 said:
So what is the effects knob on the front panel for?

The effects level is only for the parallel loop. Actually, I should add that I am assuming you are using the series effects loop. Parallel loop is no good for noise gate or eq, but can be useful for delay, modulation and reverb. If you are plugging your pedals to the parallel loop, switch them to the series loop and your problems may be solved, if not, reconsider my observations about input level overloading.

So, I looked up info on some pedals I have. I was using a Decimator but I also have an MXR smart gate, manual says max input and output is +7db and my EQ says +14 db. I also heard the TC stuff will take line level. I'm new to the whole line and inst. level thing but looks like this would work OK. Am I correct? Also, I use a GEC looper pedal but I would imagine the signal level should have no effect through a looper since it just allows or bypasses the signal.

I ran into an issue with a number of my pedals when used in my Mod 100 loop. All of them were analog pedals. My Carbon Copy and my Hartman Flanger hated it. Both of them had massive volume drops. I have since bought a ModFactor for all my modulation. And you are right about the TC stuff. It doesn't care if it's line or instrument level. If it were me, I'd run the EQ in front of the amp.

As far as the parallel loop goes, I agree that the Decimator should not be in there. IMHO, only delay and 'verb should be in there. And you would need to make sure the device is set to 100% wet. Otherwise just use the series loop. Some analog pedals may work just fine in it. My Maxon flanger didn't seem affected and neither did my Small Stone Phaser.

Pat6969 said:
So, I looked up info on some pedals I have. I was using a Decimator but I also have an MXR smart gate, manual says max input and output is +7db and my EQ says +14 db. I also heard the TC stuff will take line level. I'm new to the whole line and inst. level thing but looks like this would work OK. Am I correct? Also, I use a GEC looper pedal but I would imagine the signal level should have no effect through a looper since it just allows or bypasses the signal.

Those do look like they can handle line level. What exactly are you experiencing that you dislike?

I just bought the amp yesterday, I haven't been back home yet to try it. I've just found these issues from other posts. I'd be running everything throughout the series loop. I don't want to deal with buying rack gear and such. I'm hoping the Smart Gate, EQ, Flashback and Ditto can run in the loop as is. If not I'm returning the head and buying the DSL100!!!!

Pat6969 said:
I just bought the amp yesterday, I haven't been back home yet to try it. I've just found these issues from other posts. I'd be running everything throughout the series loop. I don't want to deal with buying rack gear and such. I'm hoping the Smart Gate, EQ, Flashback and Ditto can run in the loop as is. If not I'm returning the head and buying the DSL100!!!!

I have a feeling you will be ok. Tell us what you think after trying the amp. ...

Pat6969 said:

I'm running a Flashback in the series loop of an RM100 and it is fine. It is still possible to clip the TC Toneprint gear, but if you keep your module volume below 50%, you should be fine. Keep your module levels lower & crank the master volume up and it's still plenty loud

The bigger TC Nova pedals have twice the headroom (IIRC) of the Toneprint pedals, so anyone running those should have no problems at all.

I run my module volumes at around 2 o clock (70%), flashback doesn't work for me. Get some clipping. I just hate this loop so much. I shouldn't have to sacrifice tone for delay. The modules don't sound as good to me below noon.

Kapo_Polenton said:
I run my module volumes at around 2 o clock (70%), flashback doesn't work for me. Get some clipping. I just hate this loop so much. I shouldn't have to sacrifice tone for delay. The modules don't sound as good to me below noon.

In this case you definitely need a more controllable buffered loop.

Pedals in the effects loop never made much sense to me. Input buffer headroom requires more power/voltage/current in the pedal circuit... and those are things that most pedals don't have as they are supposed to work with batteries or small power supplies.

My Dr Z head has tube buffered effects loop with send and return level controls, and a dedicated tube for it!! I am sure that increases the cost of the amp, in just about the same amount as having a controllable buffer around your pedals in the loop of a RM50.

Pat6969 said:

I had a problem with instrument level effects in my RM50 also. I bought an EBTECH Line Level Shifter that compensates between instrument and line levels, -10dBV---+4dBu. Fixed my problem and it was a cheap fix. There's one on eBay right now for $30.

I am a huge fan of the Metro loop. George and I are friends and I stock the loops in my shop. They are fantastic and I install them often. Unfortunately, they are not an option for you MTS amp.

I can mod the amp to add loop send/return knobs. I almost have all my ducks in a row for a significant announcement coming in the next few days.