Rocktron Xpression/Midimate Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel City Psycho

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought an Xpression and Midimate so I could use it for some effects and to change channels on my RM100 as well.

I've had it for a week and read both manuals and did some searches for past topics on this forum and just cannot get the Midimate to switch channels on my amp.

I've never used equipment like this before so I have no idea what I'm doing and or doing wrong.

Also is there a certain way I have to run the Midimate to do this? Example - Pedal into amp midi in and then midi through to Xpression or pedal to Xpression midi in and then Xpression to amp midi in?

I tried holding the channel button in on the amp for three seconds on the desired channel, nothing.

Does the Midimate need to be in a certain mode?

How can I tell what midi channel my amp is operating on? I read where the amp needed to be opened and some switches flipped.

This seems to be a pretty common set up on here, so I was wondering if someone could PLEASE HELP???

It would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Give me your email address and I'll send you a document that will help. You will want to wire it like this : MIDI pedal > Xpression MIDI In > Xpression MIDI Out > RM100 MIDI In. You will also want to make sure the RM100 and Xpression are on the same MIDI channel. On each Xpression preset you will go to the Progam Change screen. Where it says "Map x to y", you will set x = the Xpression program and y = the channel on your Randall you want with that effect. I am doing this from memory without my rig in front of me, but this should get you in the right ballpark.

I have a midi mate... I run mine into the Randall amp, and then midi out to a G Major. You can probably run it the other way too (to xpression then to randall amp) I would try it both ways and if one works, stick with it!

I run a 7 pin cable, and the footswitch is powered by the amp then. Very nice to have one less wall wart to deal with.

Main issue you're going to deal with is being sure that your midi footswitch and the Randall are both on the same midi channel.

Pete

okstrat said:
I have a midi mate... I run mine into the Randall amp, and then midi out to a G Major. You can probably run it the other way too (to xpression then to randall amp) I would try it both ways and if one works, stick with it!

I run a 7 pin cable, and the footswitch is powered by the amp then. Very nice to have one less wall wart to deal with.

Main issue you're going to deal with is being sure that your midi footswitch and the Randall are both on the same midi channel.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Is there an easy way to find out what Midi Channel my Rm100 is receiving on?

Here's the good news - once you do it you probably won't have to again.

Here's the bad news - you have to take the amp out of the chassis to get to the dip switches to set it. :(

I don't have it at my fingertips, but I think in the RM100 manual it has the details on what to set the dip switches to - I think it's all 1s, but not sure. Double check, because it's a pain to get to. Switch will be near where the midi connectors are. If it makes you feel any better it's even harder getting to the midi dip switch setup on an RM4. ;0

Pete

okstrat said:
Here's the good news - once you do it you probably won't have to again.

Here's the bad news - you have to take the amp out of the chassis to get to the dip switches to set it. :(

I don't have it at my fingertips, but I think in the RM100 manual it has the details on what to set the dip switches to - I think it's all 1s, but not sure. Double check, because it's a pain to get to. Switch will be near where the midi connectors are. If it makes you feel any better it's even harder getting to the midi dip switch setup on an RM4. ;0

Pete

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I really was hoping I wouldn't have to take the **** amp apart.

Now after reading all the info I have, the file Jaded Faith was kind enough to send me and Randall's RM100 Midi guide in the manual section, if the footswitch that comes with the RM100 switches the channels and the Midimate can be set up to broadcast on any of the 16 channels then why can't you just set up the Midimate to broadcast on the same channel as the supplied footswitch?

Or is that the problem, there is no "standard" channel the supplied footswitch broadcasts on so what channel it's broadcasting is unknown?

SUCCESS!!!

Thank's guys for all your help. I am now successfully switching presets and channels simultaneously on my rig at the click of a button.

I just set the Xpression to Omni and went through S1CH 1-16 until I found the channel my RM100 was on.

Turns out it's on Channel 9.

Sweet, congrats. I have no idea why the heck the Randall stuff doesn't stay set to channel 1 from the factory. Maybe it does, I just get it once someone has been goofing with the dipswitches I guess.

Glad you got it set, welcome to the world o' midi!