Salvation Stonerverb, which options to take?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.G

Reaction score
Hi,
my band mate plays an orange rockerverb 50 mki and the more I'm listening to his tone, the more I dig it. It has such a nice grrrowl and sounds so fat! :eek:
So I'm thinking of ordering a stonerverb directly at salvation but I'm hesitant as there are maybe some additional options I could take. Maybe someone on this forum can help me with ideas and talk me in. So far this has crossed my mind:

- a tight switch (must be!)
- a switch to go from rockerverb to thunderverb sound
- mid sweep
- a switch to go to a more modern tone in general

This are only vague ideas and I'm not sure if they are realizable but any input on this could help. I mostly play metal and hardcore and want to add a British based sound to my collection.

Thanks

Hi Dr G,

If you don't need the clean option....Just say Stonerverb Starz... :)
-3-Way Pre-Bass Toggle
-3-Way Post-Bass Toggle
-Bright Switch
-3-way Low Mid Toggle
-3-Way High Mid Toggle

It gives you soooo many tonal options and sounds huge...Good luck!

Cheers,
Fig

Hi Mattfig and thanks for chiming in,
I was reading about the Stonerverb Starz but wasn?t sure if it could be too confusing for me. Others would call me simple minded, but I rather prefer the term ?straight? :mrgreen:
I can imagine what a tight switch is for but not the pre and post bass toggles. Same goes for the two mid-adjusting switches. Can you shortly explain how the bass and mid switches interact together.

BTW, I learned a lot about MTS in your videos and really like them, very entertaining!

Cheers,
The Dr.

I had a Stonerverb with a tight switch, and I personally preferred not to use it. It eliminates the hugeness of the module's sound, which in my opinion is its main personality. I suppose that depending on what kind of music you play, though, it could be useful.

Hi Doc,

Well, I can say that the Starz version sounds complicated but is actually pretty simple to use...The switches (while plentiful) all make an obvious change and mixing and matching will yield a ton of great results...

The Pre-Bass switch is your varying degree of tightness...
The Post-Bass switch will add or subtract low end after the signal has gone through the gain staging...
The mid shifts are just as they sound...Bumps and cuts and varying frequencies that really allow you to shape your mids perfectly...

This is the most comprehensive gain-based module I have ever owned...It is a masterpiece IMHO...

Hope that helps,
Fig

While Fig has the Starz version, I have the (+) plus version. I use mine as both a clean and dirty module. Mine has the following features:

-Pre-Bass
-Bright switch
-Channel select (Clean/ Dirty)
- Voicing (AD30, Rockerverb, Scooped Rockerverb)

In my case, I spent about 2 years with a Rockerverb 100 and knew the in's and outs of dialing it in. With the exception of the power section, the Stonerverb is a dead ringer for a Rockerverb. I'd highly recommend getting one with a clean channel.

I use mine like this...

Clean channel, rockerverb, mids and bass up, treble down a bit
Dirty channel, AD30, gain down, EQ all at 1 o'clock
Dirty Channel, Gain maxed, Rockerverb, B &M @ 1, T @ 3
Dirty Channel, Gain Maxed, Scooped, B @ 2, M Maxed, T @ 3

I'll play around with the pre-bass and bright switches as my ear hears things and depending upon what guitar I'm using. I've got some other settings, but these are the main ones. As for what you should get, I'd recommend you play with the RV50 and learn how it works.

The one thing the RV can do that my module can't, is get this Soldano-like voicing. When you play with you're friends RV, try this trick and lemme know what you think. ... Go into the FX loop and put a mid scoop EQ, volume pedal in there. Next, crank the mids, gain and Master volume (the volume pedal will tame things). Put the B & T @ 1 and let it rip. Greatest setting I ever had. The gain can be played around with for desired effect and classic rock also sounds huge with these settings.

Thanks for all the input to everyone! This weekend I'll have to opportunity to play my band mates RV and I agree, the best thing probably is to play and get familiar with it.
So there's gonna be some serious RV exploring this weekend! :D

I just want to give some feedback of my amp testing session:
I spent some time with the RV of my band mate and have to say, that?s it's very eq-freindly compared to my Dual Rectifier which is my main amp in the band I play. It didn't take much time to find good settings which I liked b: 2, m: 11, t: 1 (o'clock settings) and compared to my DR this thing really has a different kind of growl.
Than I tried to hook up the RV to my mesa 4x12 oversized cab and surprise, the sound was very different. The cab contributes a lot to the sound of each amp (my band mate plays the RV through a orange ppc212 closed back). The mesa cab gave the RV a lot of crisp highs I rather associate with a more modern American sound but it retains some of characteristic growl of the RV (the DR has more of a krrr-sound whereas the RV has more grrrr, if that makes sense). The orange cab on it's one sounds a little bit boxy, but I looks like that?s why it cuts through in a band mix much better. The DR sounded much better with the mesa 4x12 but the RV was nice with both cabs although I liked it more with the orange cab.
Looks like both amps where really made to go with their own cabs which totally makes sense.

@frigolajm: thunderverb/rockerverb switch would be very nice, but I'm not sure if this works as the thunderverb has bass amp PT's and OT's as far as I found out. I don't if it's possible to address this tonal difference to the preamp-based module.

I dig the Starz version I have.

Easy to adjust and hear the changes, and it's a great sounding module. There are lots of opinions, but I'm glad I got mine last year. And it's not for sale...

Oregon said:
I dig the Starz version I have.

Easy to adjust and hear the changes, and it's a great sounding module. There are lots of opinions, but I'm glad I got mine last year. And it's not for sale...

Agreed completely....Usually mods with that many switches have a few that are hard to really tell what they do (especially at high gain) but the Stonerverb Strarz is different in that all toggles make an obvious change and make it easy to dial in specific tones....No clean but it's worth the sacrifice IMHO...