Scary, Judge, Brahma ,Sl+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
Hey all thinking about returning to the Randall family .

I loved a few of the models I had a few years back .My fav was always the Scary .i though the midrange voicing on that module was just the bomb it had a unique kind of "chew" to the tone.

From what i have read the Scary and Sl+ are the exact same board.
So my question to the mod guys what makes the sound difference between them is there different value in the componets.

Also in regards to the Brahma and Judge are they basically the same except for a bit of gain are they also just a Scary with one less gain stage ..

Can someone who has seen and played with all the boards explain the differences???

Thanks

I have had a stock Scary, Judge, and have a stock SL+. I also currently have a JF Brahma and JF Scary.

There is a lot of love for the Judge on this board but I needed a clean boost for it to work for me. Then again, I didn't keep it long and find myself wanting one again.

The stock SL+ flat out rocks. I love that thing. The JF Brahma is the module that I judge all others against but the Scary has been getting most of the playing hours as of late.

I am sure that one of the modders will chime in with the differences in the electrical stuff but I don't know anything about that.

Actually, Randall uses the same board for most of its modules. The Blackface, KH1, and Clean have a different board, and the XTC is an oddball with its own board. As far as I know, all the other modules only differ in the components, not the board layout.

gtr31 said:
Hey all thinking about returning to the Randall family .

I loved a few of the models I had a few years back .My fav was always the Scary .i though the midrange voicing on that module was just the bomb it had a unique kind of "chew" to the tone.

From what i have read the Scary and Sl+ are the exact same board.
So my question to the mod guys what makes the sound difference between them is there different value in the componets.

Also in regards to the Brahma and Judge are they basically the same except for a bit of gain are they also just a Scary with one less gain stage ..

Can someone who has seen and played with all the boards explain the differences???

Thanks

A lot of the medium to high gain modules use the same boards. From module to module, the differences are in the value of components, including pots.

The XTC and any of the "Rectifier" modules use different boards, but both are easily customizable to be the same. Also, all the boards can be "rewired" to be the same.

The "clean" modules use an entirely different board. The signal flow is rearranged to better suit a low gain, or clean tone.

Hope this helps.