SG Diablo video

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
My chops are weak and once again I clipped the levels, but the tone is there. This Diablo is based off an early 90s Recto, which is clearly different than any recto (Mesa or module) that I've played- lots of cool quality thick mids. This will slam when I get to double tracking, but for now, enjoy. Tones start at 3min, I mumble along about the signal chain for far too long

I threw a 4047 up on the grille and muted out the camera mic during jamming. I usually use my ribbon, but misplaced the clip, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdlr76-Gvw

I left it uploading last night...woke up and it's still only up to 67%
Maybe I'll trim it down and try again

Nice video Ray - I love mine as well. Only thing I need to do is swap my gain pot mine had a 500 instead of 250 and I prefer the original 250 one instead. Which does yours have?

"I don't have anymore riffs," lol nice :)

watching it back, the best tone is the first thing you hear- more due to user, the module is very versatile (unlike me, lol)

IDK about the pot- will it have a the # right on it? I'll look and see..it does sound bass huge

I appreciate your vids but man, we have to deal with the clipping issue and mics.... it is raspy from where I am sitting! Can you walk us through the chain? Maybe MikeP can give you some tips on how you might want to set things up to get a better audio representation of the amp. Not being a dick just trying to get you better tone on your vids.

The problem may be my mastering skills...next time I'll just go dry straight through...or it could be a dithering problem (?) I started at 48, bounced to a wav, then imported that into Sony Vegas, rendered to a internet video.Thought it wasn't too bad, but I'll have to start by eliminiating the master dynamics to see if that is the culprit...could be every step of the way, IDK :oops:

maybe my visual levels are off in PT, or I have dithering setup incorrectly (currently default). The only clips I have that don't clip is when I go old school and Mickey Mouse it into an external consumer cheap cd burner I bought like 15 years ago. I'd like to use the Bounce in PT, but I'm uncertain why it delivers issues

I'd like another opinion on this, I hear occassional digi-distortion, but not really enough to think its terrible- especially compared to Death Magnetic...how's the audio translating for others?

it may just be the way you have it dialed up,but it is kind of muddy/inarticulate in the lows..like you have too much bass and there is kind of a fuzziness to it like rectos have.I know it may be kind of hard to tell if you are listening to what you are playing,becasue you know what it coming from your fingers,if that makes sense...lol......Ive found backing off on the bass and giving a little more mids really cleans the tone up and gives it more girth/lowend definition,especially with 7 strings..it may just be a taste thing,I know alot of modern metal players like the heavily bass driven tones,espically for detuned,baritone,or 7 string stuff..cool of you to take the time to post clips of these modules though,I know there are not alot of them floating around....

^ok, that describes a source tone issue rather than digi mastering clipping

I think I left the bass around noon, so perhaps mic placement needs to improve...but be aware the Diablo has huge amounts of lo end....Oh, I could lower the density on the amp, that would help
Also plan on moving my stuff out to the garage soon, the current room is small and may be creating boominess

I'm also without a hi end pre since I sold off my ua, getting another pre in that's better than the 11R may help smooth the rasp out

Perhaps mts direct>11R will be the chain until I can sort this stuff out

Dude, what's your input levels on your interface? If you have a pad, use it and that should help the clipping!

crankyrayhanky said:
^ok, that describes a source tone issue rather than digi mastering clipping

I think I left the bass around noon, so perhaps mic placement needs to improve...but be aware the Diablo has huge amounts of lo end....Oh, I could lower the density on the amp, that would help
Also plan on moving my stuff out to the garage soon, the current room is small and may be creating boominess

I'm also without a hi end pre since I sold off my ua, getting another pre in that's better than the 11R may help smooth the rasp out

Perhaps mts direct>11R will be the chain until I can sort this stuff out

Yeah,I figued that,the Gigmods Recto is like that,which is kind of what this one reminds me of hearing previous clips.Probably my favorite of the modded rectos Ive owned or heard,though this is one I kind of wanted to try out...The increased bass may just be your preference from hearing the RR clips as well..the fuzz I was referring to may be the clipping other posters are referring to....