SG: For drewiv, the custom madman

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredGroove

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some of what's kept me busy during my "break"...LOL. These are all for drewiv. He wanted some custom work done, and I figured sure, why not?

Voodoo Amps faceplates based on Drew's requests for graphics. Thanks to Trace for lending me his logo graphic.

The Eliminator is based on the ZZ top Eliminator album. We thought it would be cool to customize the graphics to include LEDs for headlights. This is the original clip I made. I meant to make another because the mod had become a little warmer and fuzzier. Since these modules can't ship until tomorrow, I'll work on getting an updated clip today/tonight.
Sample clip: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11467310

The Bully is based on the EVH tones of the VHII and Fair Warning albums. Features include Flight/Fight (low/high gain), and Push/Shove (gain structure). Clip cuts off before the lead. I didn't feel like learning it...LOL. Backing tracks are from Guitar Hero VH edition.
Sample clip: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11358641

The Scorch was picked up by Drew, but shipped to me from Hilly. He didn't have any way to test it, and it didn't work anyway. I got it up and running and all is well.

ughgtsunamimark.jpg

scorcheliminator.jpg

eliminator1.jpg

bully2.jpg

A very special thanks to Scott for working through his "break." :D In fairness, I did contact him the day before he announced said break. He probably didn't know what he was getting into at the time. I'm already wondering how long this **** break is going to be. :lol: Also, thanks to Trace for looking through designs and approving the use of his logo.

I have a clip somewhere of The Bully Scott sent me. If I can find it I'll post it... and you'll be sad you don't have one. :wink: I believe it was so overwhelming another one similar was made for a professional that's also on the forum. I cannot confirm any of this though. :)

The Eliminator just sounded cool to me and the headlights seemed like the right thing to do on such a module.

It should be a fun week. I don't have many modules around right now, so these will be very welcome.

Very nice work, Scott! I love that Mark faceplate!

Did I read that correctly, that Jeff Hilligan doesn't have an MTS rig capable of testing out modules? Is he not doing mods any more?

Drew, you're the man!

rhequiem said:

Did I read that correctly, that Jeff Hilligan doesn't have an MTS rig capable of testing out modules? Is he not doing mods any more?

Drew, you're the man!

Jeff is out of MTS with his new job at DAR. This was the last Scorch he had and had no way to test/finish it. I bought it and had it shipped straight to Scott, he fixed the issue and made the faceplate for me.

I'm not the man, just an idiot with more gear than talent. :D

rhequiem said:

Thanks a lot! Drew wanted something vintagy/retro, santana-like. I played around with different paisley patterns and ended up with dark blue and silver...LOL Go figure. I think the point came across with a modern look, but more importantly, Drew liked it. :wink: :D

alowerdeep said:
sounds like a gainier version of the Mk22...sounds good....

It's actually quite different. Some of the gain structure is similar, and I also used the MK22 as a base circuit, but it ended up being very much it's own beast. When used with greenbacks, the tones are unmistakable.

I dig it!! Nice and chewy which my EVH ish Mr. Brownstone lacks. Good job! So what else you been working on in your lab??????

Very nice SG. The Eliminator plate with dual LEDs for the headlights... 8) 8)

I'll have to listen to the clip(s) later.

Nightdare said:
Hamner1 said:
Very nice SG. The Eliminator plate with dual LEDs for the headlights... 8) 8)

I'll have to listen to the clip(s) later.

+1

Will there be any clips of the 'Eliminator'?

Thanks guys! :D

I have an Eliminator clip, but I haven't uploaded it to Soundclick yet. I'll have it uploaded today and posted in the original post.

Awesome work as always Scott - I really dig those dual LEDs for headlights :). Looking forward to hearing clips of the Eliminator.

The Bully looks and sounds like a beast!

The Eliminator hits the ZZ tone I think. It always sounded to me like Billy had a fuzz going on with his tone, & I hear that on the clip.

The Bully is as close as I've heard early VH tones on clips. Very nice. Scott care to share the settings you had it set on to get that tone?

Hamner1 said:
The Eliminator hits the ZZ tone I think. It always sounded to me like Billy had a fuzz going on with his tone, & I hear that on the clip.

I thought I read long ago gibbons was using a Shultz Rockman into a
marshall Studio 15 for those tones

I used to have a couple rockmans and I definitely hear "it" on the
those ZZ tunes (that tone is all over Def Lepoard Hysteria IMO too)

^agreed, this guy sounds like he worked on the DL Hysteria
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/16210-how-soft-attack-clean-guitars-first-bars-hysteria.html

Hamner1 said:

The Bully is as close as I've heard early VH tones on clips. Very nice. Scott care to share the settings you had it set on to get that tone?

Thanks a lot!
Settings:
Gain--6.5
Bass--6
Middle--4.5 or 5
Treble--7 or 8
Shove engaged, Fight engaged
I also used Celestion G12M speaker.

fuzzboat said:
Hamner1 said:

I thought I read long ago gibbons was using a Shultz Rockman into a
marshall Studio 15 for those tones

I used to have a couple rockmans and I definitely hear "it" on the
those ZZ tunes (that tone is all over Def Lepoard Hysteria IMO too)

The Rockmans reportedly weren't used full time until the Afterburner album. The Eliminator used a Legend 50watt combo. The preamp is tube and the poweramp transistor.

SacredGroove said:
The Rockmans reportedly weren't used full time until the Afterburner album. The Eliminator used a Legend 50watt combo. The preamp is tube and the poweramp transistor.

didn't realize eliminator was released in 83 - thought it was later
than that (must be getting senile in my old age, lol )