SL+ vs. MrScary

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredGroove

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to have posted this. But...

I was A/B'ing the SL+ and MrScary with the EQ's set the same and I noticed that really what sets them apart is the MrScary has more of what the SL+ tries to give. It's a lot more open sounding. The voicing is almost identical, although, I think C14 values differ.

As far as other components, I noticed that MrScary has way more 1/4 watt resistors. Could the size resistor be the big factor between the 2 modules?

Size of resistor is wattage handling. Isn't going to affect tone that much, other than larger resistors will have a little less hiss/shot noise, when comparing same type of resistors.

Pete

hmmm...to my ears the MR SCARY is a bit more compressed sounding,especially in the highs,a bit more darker and definately has more mids than the SL+...

goldwing68nv said:
hmmm...to my ears the MR SCARY is a bit more compressed sounding,especially in the highs,a bit more darker and definately has more mids than the SL+...

I keep forgetting my SL+ has the JCM800 components. I guess my comparison is a bit bogus or misleading. Nonetheless, I think MrScary is everything the JCM800 SL+ wants to be.

Pete, thanks for the reply.

Before I had my SL+ modded by Dave Friedman, I thought it sounded VERY much like the Mr. Scary. The stock SL+ had more bass and a little less mids, but you can dial them in to sound almost identical.