SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so glad to see all the SL+ love going down. With all the modification mania that goes on around here, I thought I was missing out, but I am completely satisfied with that module, its tight, warm, aggressive without being harsh. Love the Grail too, those two go to every gig. Mine is a blackstripe I bought new in late 07.

crankyrayhanky said:
Wow, you just invoked Akira Takasaki :shock:

Absolutely!! 8) 8) 8)
Favorite albums: Disillusion 1984, Thunder in the East 1985, Soldier of Fortune 1989, Loudness 1991

The SL+ does a reallyl convincing Lee Jackson/Metalltronix impression. :wink:

You're right- I had an Ampeg vl502 head and a vl503 1x12 before getting mts and the SL+ 800 gets the flavor

I'm probably still in the honey moon phase, only having my amp a month or s and not been able to play it as much as i'd like. Out of all the modules they had the sl+ sounded the best to me. It's like how i wanted channel 3 on my Mesa nomad to always sound!

I had the Lee Jackson Perfect Connection preamp for awhile, but I thought the KH3 got into that territory.

Talk about late to the game, just picking up on the whole mts thing, bought a few modules and I feel like maybe I'm missing out on something here. I got the SL+ module (blackstripe made in 2007) used about 1 week ago. I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. It feels a little scooped and flubby. I was looking at the tubes in it and they are 2 sovtek 12ax7's, maybe this is the problem? Also has original barely used JJ 6l6's in the poweramp. I looked it over and it has the 0.022uF tighter cap. I Feel slightly newb, for asking if it's the tubes

I don't know I'm just a little disappointed, I guess. I also got the plexi module , jtm module, and ultra module around the same time. I'm really more of a high gain guy but I'm really digging the plexi it's a lot tighter and defined. I can't help but think maybe I have a dud SL+.

thoughts????

fresh tubes will always liven things up, but be aware that older versions do not have the 800 mod. That mod has more of a JCM2000 tone which is scoopier. Also the bass caps are often cahnged out, because the stock can be flubbier.
So if you're handy, do a search here and perform the 800 mod and tighten the bass cap...or consider sending it out, I have my 800 and bass caps on a switch and really enjoy the flexibility- although the most frequent setting is tight with the 800.

johnnyko5 said:
Talk about late to the game, just picking up on the whole mts thing, bought a few modules and I feel like maybe I'm missing out on something here. I got the SL+ module (blackstripe made in 2007) used about 1 week ago. I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. It feels a little scooped and flubby. I was looking at the tubes in it and they are 2 sovtek 12ax7's, maybe this is the problem? Also has original barely used JJ 6l6's in the poweramp. I looked it over and it has the 0.022uF tighter cap. I Feel slightly newb, for asking if it's the tubes

I don't know I'm just a little disappointed, I guess. I also got the plexi module , jtm module, and ultra module around the same time. I'm really more of a high gain guy but I'm really digging the plexi it's a lot tighter and defined. I can't help but think maybe I have a dud SL+.

thoughts????

Your description makes it sound like you have the original SL+.

To check if it is or isn't the newer version:
Look at the module from the top and locate R25 and C14. They're really close to each other.
The original values are 56k, green-blue-orange bands (R25) and 250pF (C14)
Jcm800 values are 33k, orange-orange-orange bands (R25) and 470pF (C14)

Also, C3 is the "bass cap" and the most popular values are 1000pF (.001) and 1500pF (.0015).

EDIT: Changed R31 to R25.

front view

DSC01577.jpg

That more than likely has the JCM800 values since it has the black plate and chickenheads.

C14 is behind the mids pot and to the right. The resistor you want should be right behind the mids pot. Your module shows R31 in a different spot and must be an updated board. R25 should be right behind the mids pot and that is the resistor you want to change.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant R25, not R31.

I have stock SL+, JF Brahma, JF Mr Scary, and a Gigmods Ultra XL. For just about anything 80's the stock SL+ is my go to tone. Add a clean boost and it gets even better.

The JF Brahma can get very close but there is something a touch different in the mids that I like better for other tones.

The Scary and Ultra XL are both super hot. I can get them to sound pretty much identical but I think that the Ultra XL is a touch clearer or something like that anyway.

Earlier I had posted about the SL+ not necessarily being my bag, although I thought it was going to be. Well, with a new set of EH el34s the module is definitely alot closer to the sound I was expecting. I had 6l6's before. The ultra also sounds alot better now to my ears, a bit tighter with better harmonics. but weirdly enough the plexi module is now one of my least favorites ( I don't really get to crank my amp for the most part, which I've been told helps the plexi sound the way it should)...weird.

Anyway, just some thoughts for anyone else who might be having the same issues.

Second thought, be careful with the bias adjust pot, it can get pushed into the amp chassis (at least mine did javascript:emoticon(':shock:') ) I probably wasn't being careful enough, but it wasn't fun to going there and reattach/bend it. ( I checked all my voltages before touching anything and was very careful, I don' t like being dead), especially since I really should have been working on something else not guitar related

anyways

SacredGroove said:
Your description makes it sound like you have the original SL+.

To check if it is or isn't the newer version:
Look at the module from the top and locate R25 and C14. They're really close to each other.
The original values are 56k, green-blue-orange bands (R25) and 250pF (C14)
Jcm800 values are 33k, orange-orange-orange bands (R25) and 470pF (C14)

Also, C3 is the "bass cap" and the most popular values are 1000pF (.001) and 1500pF (.0015).

EDIT: Changed R31 to R25.

Hmm grailtone mentions the R31 as resistor to change?
since my R25 is brown/blue/yellow and R31 is green/blue/orange
C14 being '221k' and C3 looking to be 370 I'm guessing I have the pre-800 version

Nightdare said:
Hmm grailtone mentions the R31 as resistor to change?
since my R25 is brown/blue/yellow and R31 is green/blue/orange
C14 being '221k' and C3 looking to be 370 I'm guessing I have the pre-800 version

The pcb must have been updated at some point. Originally, R31 was the resistor to change. Now it is R25. Regardless, the resistor directly behind the mids pot is the one to change. Your pcb probably labeled '00 year? There was at least one revision in '05.

Yes, your tone stack is pre800. Sorry for any confusion, it's confusing me, as well and had to refer back to my own modules and old pcb layouts.

Sorry for resurrecting a months-old thread, but I have a question about the SL+.

My "new" SL+ was purchased with just the silver faceplate with black knobs, no black stripe. It looked like it had been on the sales floor for some time, so I'm not sure how old it is. They didn't have anything new in the box.

Does this have the JCM800 mod?

robespierre said:
Sorry for resurrecting a months-old thread, but I have a question about the SL+.

My "new" SL+ was purchased with just the silver faceplate with black knobs, no black stripe. It looked like it had been on the sales floor for some time, so I'm not sure how old it is. They didn't have anything new in the box.

Does this have the JCM800 mod?

I have a plain silver-faced Brown, and it was one of the earliest versions of the MTS modules. The one you have is probably a really early model too and would not have the JCM800 mods yet.

Ahh man!

Now I'm gonna have to take mine back and try to get a refund, if they'll let me!

It didn't look new, so I guess I should have questioned it.