Slash tonequest

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
I have been chasing slash's AFD tone for as long as i have been owned my MTS amps, I have gotten fairly close with the JF 59rr custom but its still a little off. I only know of one module with the circuit of the sir #39 mod and thats the JF Brahma #39. How close does this particular module get? Closer than the 59rr? Ive also heard that the egnater SL2X comes very close in bone stock condition... I am planning on aquiring a JF silverado to do all the post appetite slash tones but I still cannot find a module that does it justice. I am considering asking rob if i can commission a slash AFD signature model, after all he did the EVH Grailtone to replicate a paticular amp from a famous album but i would say that AFD was a greater album by far than VH1 and slash deserves a proper signature module...
-mp-
BTW: in my tone quest i have taken a step to get there by ordering a set of seymour duncan alnico II aph-2 pro slash pickups for my les paul.

Wondering what are your settings to get close with the 59? And where does the tone differ from the slash amp. Are the mids different, or something else entirely. Also what speakers are you using. Lots of questions I know, just trying to nail down what is different. Might help in your search.

Yeah, I know Slash has a great tone and style but I don't know it can modulized any further as I don't hear anything THAT unique within it....I mean, his style is evident...But his tone is Marshall brown to me...Maybe boosted here and there?

I would bet Slash could play through any Marshall mod and sound like AFD...

Just thinking out loud...I've never really studied his tone and it sounds like Matt has...So, maybe there is a weird mid thing or something going on...Either way, I'm curious how this discussion goes...

The Brahma #39 will get you closer than the 59RR . Having owned both, the #39 is brighter & less compressed than the 59, which is what I hear in Welcome to the Jungle & Paradise City, bright not overly compressed Marshall tone. As far as spot on there are too many variables for me to say with unequivocal conviction. But I will say you can't go wrong with the #39.

The Brahma #39 will get you closer than the 59RR . Having owned both, the #39 is brighter & less compressed than the 59, which is what I hear in Welcome to the Jungle & Paradise City, bright not overly compressed Marshall tone. As far as spot on there are too many variables for me to say with unequivocal conviction. But I will say you can't go wrong with the #39.

Well as I said the 59rr custom can get close but there is a cheweyness to his tone that it doesnt quite capture. I have never heard and G&R riffs in any clips from the brahma #39 so i cant really compare although I may grab one in my next order from rob. The Silverado sounds very close to the post AFD slash tone so one of those will definatly top my list.
-mp-

Im also about to put a set of seymour duncan alnico II aph-2 pro Slash Pickups in my epi les paul custom which will probably help with the tone chase.
-mp-

The alnico II are probably a very overlooked part of the tone. Go here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1191247 and choose the Guns Jam. I did this with a modded SL+ to SL2X by Hilligan. I think it got **** close (close enough for MTS)but I do believe my brownstone module gets even closer (based on brahma).

At the end of the day, I'd say JF's Brahma 39 will get you there with the alnico II's. But as Fig mentioned, chops go a long *** way in making it juuuuust right! Also don't forget production. We've been through it a million times I know but when you listen to the isolated tracks on welcome to the jungle, once you sort through the verb, you will hear that Slash's tone is very cutting and thin and not as gainy as you think it is.

And what about Salvation Mash-oldano?

It seems to be the best compromise between Soldano bite and gain for lead stuff with the Marshall base?...like Slash actual "AFD" tone? :idea:

krok said:
And what about Salvation Mash-oldano?

It seems to be the best compromise between Soldano bite and gain for lead stuff with the Marshall base?...like Slash actual "AFD" tone? :idea:

No way, no how, not ever
AFD has a certain midrange vibe to it
I've got better 'Slash' results with Alnico IIs hitting a Marshall JMP-1 than the Masholdano

Humm OK thanks for the advise.
You're right, Alnico II is a big part of the sound (and his hands to). 8)

Is the egnater sl2X available in a single channel module or would i have to get the duallie and get a channel switching switch put in?
-mp-

sl2X has a single channel version, it was destinated with first version on M4 (V1 with effect loop), of memory.

The part of the tone that i cant quite get is the mids there is something about them that just doesnt seem present in any of the modules ive tried..
-mp-

What about using your closest sounding mod and inserting an EQ into the loop to tweak the mids where you want them from that...If it's a subtle thing you are after, you are more apt to finding it this way IMHO...

Would love to hear your thoughts on an SL2X though... :D

Hey Mattfig!! I was writting exactly the same advice ! :)

If you have found the tone grain and gain, maybe try to had an extrenal EQ, I think it will be more benefical and safe than trying to find exactly the tone of Slash with a module only.
And the EQ can helps later to sculpt another sound if you need. :idea:

And...push the volume buttom ! :D
Amp needs to be loud to find it spot point, and it has great impact on our hears frequency perception.
Perception that midds, are lost or less present at low volume level can change when volume level increase.

Any recommendations for an Eq? Ive seen and heard good things about the MXR 10 band eq and I also owned but sold off a 7 band boss eq pedal Im thinking that the mxr is probably the better option?
-mp-

I don't know the Boss EQ, I personnaly used an MXR 10 band (M108) and it does good job. :wink: