Snorkeler = Tone for Days

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the kind words with regards to my ear and the tones I have been trying to do! I think I charge a fair price cause lets face it its not rocket science. I mean you sure can make it rocket science but the beauty is knowing the little things you can do that make big changes. It can but doesn't need board changes, hidden parts etc.

I'm gonna be back doing mods again May 1st!

^^Awesome man! I didn't know what kind of timeframe you were thinking when I emailed you a few weeks ago and didn't want to say anything on here...glad you're making it official!

Thanks for all the kind words with regards to my ear and the tones I have been trying to do! I think I charge a fair price cause lets face it its not rocket science. I mean you sure can make it rocket science but the beauty is knowing the little things you can do that make big changes. It can but doesn't need board changes, hidden parts etc.

Exactly... nice to see you are back! Any plans to do a SLO type? I know a bunch of people might be interested in your take on this. That said, I'd prob be up for a snorkerler at some point. You do great work.

Great news!!! Already have the Snorkeler and Scorch- What's on the horizon Jeff?

Well since I really loved the EG5 when I was egnater, I need to do it in a single. I was hearing a lay it down SLO when doing it. I also want to do a dirty/clean based module like I did for Michael Wilton of Queensryche!

I don't like trying to do a module that is a direct take on a amp. I like to do a flavor of it that makes sense to me and sounds cool to my ear!

This is cool, and what makes your mods a valuable addition to the MTS lexicon :)

Jeff Hilligan said:
I don't like trying to do a module that is a direct take on a amp. I like to do a flavor of it that makes sense to me and sounds cool to my ear!

I certainly wouldn't mind having a mod based on the flavor of Ty's Dogman recto -- which last I heard (Jan '12) was owned by MTS Forum member espquade. {nudge nudge} :lol:

Most of the mods I have liked are closer to what the actual amp sounds like...that's why I like the Salvo and SG stuff so much,they seem to stay pretty faithful to the particular amps they are trying to model....

It's funny you mention that iekobrid. I contacted Jeff H a few years ago to mod my Recto for the Dogman sound. He got back to me quickly, and gave the go ahead. Never got a chance to send it in due to a family emergency, but now that I'm getting the funds, Jeff will be getting some business from me for sure 8)

Glad you're back Jeff!

iekobrid said:
I certainly wouldn't mind having a mod based on the flavor of Ty's Dogman recto -- which last I heard (Jan '12) was owned by MTS Forum member espquade. {nudge nudge} :lol:

Overheard (overseen?) in the comments below a YouTube clip I watched this afternoon...

"Egnater is releasing a Lab series pre amp for his modular pre amp system. Along with Randall's power amp that has separate 6L6 /EL34 sides, it should get really close."

"Has it been confirmed that egnater is releasing the module??? i haven't been keeping close track but last i heard it was a 'ty-only' thing."

"I doubt Brue would put that much into what he himself calls the "Ty Module" not to try and sell it."

I didn't have the heart to tell them just how much effort can go into not bringing an MTS product to market sometimes. :/

Hey Jeff, I remember seeing a while back on one of your snorkeler mods that there was a variac switch.. the later mods did not have this feature and certainly not the ones i have seen for sale on this forum. Did you end up scrapping it because it didn't really do what you want? I always thought that was unique and wondered how you replicated the response and feel of dropped voltage on an amp... is it something you could add to any module?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Hey Jeff, I remember seeing a while back on one of your snorkeler mods that there was a variac switch.. the later mods did not have this feature and certainly not the ones i have seen for sale on this forum. Did you end up scrapping it because it didn't really do what you want? I always thought that was unique and wondered how you replicated the response and feel of dropped voltage on an amp... is it something you could add to any module?

well I still have one done this way but....has a ton of voltage on it and it's really not safe for mass use!

iekobrid said:
Overheard (overseen?) in the comments below a YouTube clip I watched this afternoon...

"Egnater is releasing a Lab series pre amp for his modular pre amp system. Along with Randall's power amp that has separate 6L6 /EL34 sides, it should get really close."

"Has it been confirmed that egnater is releasing the module??? i haven't been keeping close track but last i heard it was a 'ty-only' thing."

"I doubt Brue would put that much into what he himself calls the "Ty Module" not to try and sell it."

I didn't have the heart to tell them just how much effort can go into not bringing an MTS product to market sometimes. :/

I did the module. Bruce had nothing to do with it. I don't really even remember what I did. I had my lab and an strat elite and did a module for Ty.

well I still have one done this way but....has a ton of voltage on it and it's really not safe for mass use!

no kidding, so you actually screwed with voltage in the circuit to replicate the sound of a variac. Impressive. Don't suppose it is a feel or tone that could be replicated using a switch and some part swaps is it? (without affecting voltage) There's a challenge for ya..

Jeff- Let us all know when the single EG5 type modules are available...