Soldering practice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjwlkr

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get into modding my modules and would first need to practice soldering. Any suggestions on ways to practice? Are there any DIY kits or something someone would recommend? Also, anyone have suggestions of where to buy capacitors and such?

Find some old electrical equipment, then solder and de-solder various parts. You could also start with pedal kits, like buildyourownclone.com, who sells a pretty cheap basic boost kit.

I solder for a living. No, really. The boards used in the MTS series are good quality. You can easily damage them, though, if you do it wrong.
Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
Also, use 60/40 lead/tin solder. 63/37 is even better.
Do NOT use lead free. It melts at too high a temperature.
Invest in a good quality, temperature controlled soldering system like
a WellerWES51 or better if you can afford one.

If you have an old computer take the motherboard out and try removing and reinstalling components on that. Who cares if you mess it up. practice practice practice. It's just like playing guitar the more you practice hopefully the better you get.

I would focus on desoldering as much (if not more) as soldering. Learn how to desolder a component properly on both sides of the PCB in order to remove it without damaging the pads or lifting the pads off the PCB. You have much more potential to damage a module desoldering than you do soldering.

kc2eeb thanks for the video, i consider myself pretty good with a soldering iron but i learned a thing or two.

Your welcome and something I forgot;
You will almost always get a better solder joint by using liquid or paste flux in addition to the flux in the solder itself. For electronic use, ALWAYS use NON-corrosive rosin flux. After soldering, remove the flux residue with methyl alcohol, the kind you can find in Home depot.
Here's a link to some board and transformer replacement I did on my RM50.
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12785&highlight=lots+pictures+rm50+repair
After soldering, I cleaned and flushed the boards with alcohol.