Super V, or a modded Top Boost, which mod has best results?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screenery

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed somewhat indirectly throughout several threads, but i want to ask.

If I like the Top Boost for medium-high gain, but want the clean, chimey Vox sound (not a big fan of Mr. Lynch's tone, so I'm wary, but I haven't heard his Vox sounds, to be honest), which of the following should I do, if I can only do one of the three:
1) Buy the Super V
2) Buy a second Top Boost and do the mod?
3) Mod my current pedal, and then make up for it somehow within my pedal chain

What are the overall responses and experiences with the following mods?
1) Do the Grailtone mod, with the 100K resistor
2) Use a 12AU7 (or 12AT7 or 12A_7) in the module's first tube socket

Are there any other common Top Boost modifications than the two listed above?

If I am to do the Grailtone Top Boost mod, what type of resistor is bestfor the 100k resistor?
1) Metal film resistors
2) Carbon comp resistors
3) Metal oxide film resistors
I'd like to know exactly which resistor to order from Digi-Key or an electronics store, because I don't know jack about electronics when it comes to its relation to tone. So if you have an exact part you recommend, please tell.

Also, if someone can recommend the specific part number for a replacement resistor for R1, as recommended on the Grailtone MTS mod page, that'd help.
http://grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

Maybe not helpful, but I found that the Super V sounds almost exactly like the TopBoost with the resistor mod to avoid input overload, except the Super V sounds best to me with all tone knobs at noon, and I had to tweak the TopBoost a bit to get it to sound like I like.

Good question. I ahve no experience at all with the Vox tones. I need to get one. If you go the pedal route I hear on other forums that the Xotic AC Booster is THE pedal in front of a Vox.

Hey,
The modded TOP BOOST is better to my ears. I did not like the Super V one bit. The modded TOP BOOST really screams and is just better. Its more that Queen type tone. I couldnt get much good out of the Super V. I think it was designed to be more clean where as the TOP BOOST is supposed to be distorted and without all the junk cluttering things up it really gets good!

I use a 12AU7 in my Top Boost, and it gives a more Plexi/Tweed gain curve.

The Top Boost has an extra gain stage when compared to the real deal Vox amps.

Screenery said:
I know this has been discussed somewhat indirectly throughout several threads, but i want to ask.

If I like the Top Boost for medium-high gain, but want the clean, chimey Vox sound (not a big fan of Mr. Lynch's tone, so I'm wary, but I haven't heard his Vox sounds, to be honest), which of the following should I do, if I can only do one of the three:
1) Buy the Super V
2) Buy a second Top Boost and do the mod?
3) Mod my current pedal, and then make up for it somehow within my pedal chain

What are the overall responses and experiences with the following mods?
1) Do the Grailtone mod, with the 100K resistor
2) Use a 12AU7 (or 12AT7 or 12A_7) in the module's first tube socket

Are there any other common Top Boost modifications than the two listed above?

If I am to do the Grailtone Top Boost mod, what type of resistor is bestfor the 100k resistor?
1) Metal film resistors
2) Carbon comp resistors
3) Metal oxide film resistors
I'd like to know exactly which resistor to order from Digi-Key or an electronics store, because I don't know jack about electronics when it comes to its relation to tone. So if you have an exact part you recommend, please tell.

Also, if someone can recommend the specific part number for a replacement resistor for R1, as recommended on the Grailtone MTS mod page, that'd help.
http://grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html