The Judge and Mr. Scary modules Difference ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espquade

Reaction score
Ok , I'm sure this has been covered and if so I apologize for not doing a search , but can some of you guys chime in on the tonal differences between these 2 modules being the Judge and Mr.Scary ?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't have a real mr scary but I have a gut shot and I have a module modded similarly. I also have a judge. I would say that the judge pushes more of the mids and the scary a bit more lows and highs. Scary will cut more. More gain as well.

I have both. Scary is more modern sounding and Judge is more vintage voiced.
The Scary is MUCH more saturated all the way through. It also has much more gain available, probably at least double what the Judge has available.
They are each awesome in different ways.

I have both on the way and will definitely update once I have a chance to compare...jay and kapo seemed to have the same experience so I'm sure mine will be consistent.

Judge = less gain. It is a modded Plexi type of tone. Also the mids are more prevalent. I would say a more classic Marshall voicing.

Scary = Soldano tone. More modern, Mids not s pronounced, Lows are more pronounced.

Different tones for different things. If I was going to go with one, I would go Mr Scary, but then again I really like Soldano tones. :)

Hamner1,
Being you like the sound of less mids and more bottom, what do you think of the RS412KH-100 Kirk Hammet Signature Cabinet or the RV412S/A-100 RV Seris MTS Cabinets? Both come loaded with the same "custom" G12-H100 speakers, which probably use similar components and manufacturing process as the Celestion G12K-100 speakers, but were supposedly "customized" with input from Kirk for his sig cab. They were only made for Randall. I haven't heard anyone A/B these speakers with the G12K-100's, but people really seem to not like the G12K's after comparing them to the original, U.K.-made, 1994-discontinued, Celestion G12H-100 speakers. People LOVED the G12H-100's. Some who liked the sound of (4) Vintage 30's weren't as fond, but completely different tones there. The Vintage 30's are definitely brighter in the midrange and not as boomy compared to the original G12H-100's, so if you like one I could see not liking the other. But for those that liked the G12H-100's, they seemed pretty consistent in not sharing the sentiment for the G12K-100's that replaced them.

The Celestion website describes the G12K's as providing the "Sledgehammer lows" for bands like Slayer. Metallica gets some boomy lows also, and Kirk stacks the X-pattern G12T-75/Vintage 30 4x12 on top of the G12-H100's, so I'm sure that full stack produces a pretty well rounded tone with emphasis on lows. I'd really like to learn more about these G12-H100's though, as I am certainly not against the pronounced lows with less mids when the mood strikes (Sledgehammering sounds like a fun thing to do with a guitar :twisted: ). I wish I could find out if they are any closer to the original G12H-100's or any better/different than the G12K-100s. Randall rep in Chicago says they are tonally different, but didn't really elaborate on how. How do you think your Jet City's compare?

Oh ****...sorry for the hijack espquade. 4 people say the exact same thing...consistent. Can't wait to try both!

Thanks for all the info !

I have a Judge and just snagged a brand new fully loaded Lynch box 100 with a Super V, Grail , and the Scary from Funky Monkey Music for 1199.99 !!! It should arrive sometime next week .

Thought it was a pretty cool deal :D

****! I didn't know he had any Lynch 100's! I paid almost that much for an unloaded one last week...good find man! Wonder if he has any Super V's left. Joe Investigate!

Kapo_Polenton said:
And you got a SuperV on top of it! Those are rare indeed these days.... nice grab.

I believe it was Larry at Funky monkey I spoke to and when I saw it on Ebay I called and he had to confirm with Randall because they had 2 in the Randall warehouse that were the original early ones with the gold piping on the headshell and the Super V and in the box and never opened . He mentioned that they were holding on to them and for whatever reason contacted Funky Monkey and asked if they wanted them .

it is going to be drop shipped from their warehouse to me as I was told .

seanh303 said:
Oh ****...sorry for the hijack espquade. 4 people say the exact same thing...consistent. Can't wait to try both!

No reason to be sorry as it's all good information even when the topic strays a bit :D