The the modular amp + TC electronic G-system thread.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
This thread is about making the most of your Egnater or Randall pre-amp or amp setup with the TC electronic G-system. How do you hook up the G-System to your amp depending on the requirements you got; How do you program the G-system to change modules and such for you - it all can be discussed here.

Enjoy!

I think it was Photios who has used the M4 with the G-System and he commented that it was definitely a tone suck with the Egnater stuff (more the fault of the G-System I would think, my Egnater stuff works great with my pedals). Wish I could help more, but I've heard a lot of guys complaining that the G-System isn't as transparent as TC Electronics claims it to be. :?

I've never had a problem with the G System sucking tone. Setup is everything with this beast. It took me a couple of weeks to tweek it out.

Midi channel Switching. I use the Loop 1,2 and 3 buttons to change the modules. Go into buttons in the menu and change them each to send midi cc #s. Those # should match with the each midi channel on the head. Then when I save a patch I light up the loop button that goes with the module I want on and its done. Now I can program changes in seconds on the fly if need be. I still have the option if inspiration strikes and change the modules on the fly by hitting any of the loop buttons whenever.

Connection. I use the four cable method described in the manual. It puts the wah, compressor, preamp insert and loops into the front of the amp and the modulation, pitch, delay and reverb in the loop of the amp. I run two Ernie ball Jrs. as expression pedals and on most patches have one as a wah and the other as a whammy effect.

If your using the M4 or RM4 try putting the FX you would put in the loop after the preamp. Preamp Out --> GSystem modulation/Delay stuff --> Power Amp.

I believe the new M4's don't even have FX loops.

I use the mod50 head into the g system and use both L and R out of the system into an rt2/50 basically like stranges setup and it sounds killer.It did take quit abit of tweaking but end result is way good!I've got an M4 coming soon and I hope I get the same results.As far as the midi switching goes, haven't got that far.A deffinent learning curve !

StrangeLand said:
I've never had a problem with the G System sucking tone. Setup is everything with this beast. It took me a couple of weeks to tweek it out.

Midi channel Switching. I use the Loop 1,2 and 3 buttons to change the modules. Go into buttons in the menu and change them each to send midi cc #s. Those # should match with the each midi channel on the head. Then when I save a patch I light up the loop button that goes with the module I want on and its done. Now I can program changes in seconds on the fly if need be. I still have the option if inspiration strikes and change the modules on the fly by hitting any of the loop buttons whenever.

Connection. I use the four cable method described in the manual. It puts the wah, compressor, preamp insert and loops into the front of the amp and the modulation, pitch, delay and reverb in the loop of the amp. I run two Ernie ball Jrs. as expression pedals and on most patches have one as a wah and the other as a whammy effect.
Not questioning the setup as such, but what if you have FX-pedals in the FX-loops of the G-system? Cheers!

Theres a couple ways to turn the loops on and off. You can program the loops on or off as part of a preset or using the loops buttons. I have my loop buttons controlling the amp channels, but I could also program the midi cc# as part of a preset. If you want to control your FX loops on the fly then use the loop buttons for that and save the midi-amp channel settings as part of the preset.

Cool thing about the G-System buttons is that you can make them do anything you want. The buttons are not hardwired for one function only like most units enabling you to customize the pedal board. I think its even cool that they give you stickers to label things the way you want.

MAN.... I'll need to ask quite a few questions when my rig finally arrives, so prepare yourself guys.... :)

Still waiting on the rest of my rig, but I have a question:
would this be the best way to connect the rig?
BLUE=MIDI / GREEN+RED=signal

Hosted on Fotki

plus: is it only possible to set up presets for example using a module and 6L6's and another one using the same module and EL34's or do I always have to use the same power tubes for that module. Just a thought

plus: is it only possible to set up presets for example using a module and 6L6's and another one using the same module and EL34's or do I always have to use the same power tubes for that module. Just a thought

Hey there!

The way I run my set up is similar but I go stereo out of the G-System into the RT2/50 then out to two 2x12's. This allows you to get both power sections per module at the same time... Sounds huge!

If you run mono you can only use one pwr section at at time but not limited to a specific module. Make sure you set the RT2/50 to mono. You can use a Plexi with the 34's in one preset and the 6L6's in another. You need to make sure the midi channels are all communicating on the same channel as the G-System.

I hope that helped!

thank you,
that helps set my mind at ease.
Now if I could only get my gear some time soon......... :?

OK, now I've set up what I have in the rack and hooked it up. I'm using a Behringer GDI-21 as a pre-amp(yeah, I know it sounds like s**t , but I don't want to lug the Peavey head around just for the pre-amp) and some OD pedals in the loops of the G-System for fuzz.

Hooked up a midi cable betwseen the G-System and the RT2/50 and switched presets, switched and held the channel switch on the RT2/50 but it doesn't switch channels with the presets. Anyone have an idea why??

Hope the RM4 and modules arrive soon......

madman77 said:
Still waiting on the rest of my rig, but I have a question:
would this be the best way to connect the rig?
BLUE=MIDI / GREEN+RED=signal

Hosted on Fotki

That is the 2 cable setup, which is infact best I believe is a relative/ subjective term. I think I will go with the 3 cable one, at least to evaluate that routing.

Two cables;
Pros: Stereo output, the ability to choose channels with a non-MIDI switchable poweramp
Cons: all signals go through the secondary FX-block.

Three cables;
Pro: Preserved signal integrity
Con: No true stereo FX output, output is not switchable unless poweramp is MIDI controlled.

madman77 said:
OK, now I've set up what I have in the rack and hooked it up. I'm using a Behringer GDI-21 as a pre-amp(yeah, I know it sounds like s**t , but I don't want to lug the Peavey head around just for the pre-amp) and some OD pedals in the loops of the G-System for fuzz.

Hooked up a midi cable betwseen the G-System and the RT2/50 and switched presets, switched and held the channel switch on the RT2/50 but it doesn't switch channels with the presets. Anyone have an idea why??

Hope the RM4 and modules arrive soon......

How do you have the GS sending your CC# ?

vincewow said:
You need to make sure the midi channels are all communicating on the same channel as the G-System.

I hope that helped!

still can't figure out what channel that would be :?